BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 650 decided to puke out the blue gatorade last night. It gave me the low coolant light and I was driving so I couldn't stop to check the level as I was not far from home. Next thing I see is the oil temp creeping to 250 and then the temperature warning light came on for a few seconds, I was already on the side streets and had the A/C off since it was nice outside. Speed up a little to get more air, light went away, which again it was on for a few seconds only and I was able to pull into a gas station quickly and shut it down. looks like the expansion tank cap failed from the pictures. Thankfully nothing else blew or got hot enough to do any real damage but already ordered the new parts. AAA membership saved my ass too.

Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
2,317 Posts
Did the cap actually fail or did it vent under too much pressure/temperatures like it’s designed to do?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did the cap actually fail or did it vent under too much pressure/temperatures like it’s designed to do?
good question, i assumed it failed, i did fill up some coolant back into the tank and moved it from where I had it parked to see if the coolant that was dripping was from me spilling some or if the tank was cracked and when i checked the cap again i did see fressh coolant running down from the cap.

·
Super Moderator
9,123 Posts
I would suspect a crack in the expansion tank, as this is very common. I would change both, as the expansion tank want take running hot more than a few times.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would suspect a crack in the expansion tank, as this is very common. I would change both, as the expansion tank want take running hot more than a few times.
I thought it was a cracked expansion tank since it didn't fill up with the gallon that I had. I didn't realize at the time that it was going to the hose at the bottom filling the system so I was freaking out. I already ordered the tank and cap, $60 later and should get here in 2 weeks maybe?

I don't think i need to worry about the block or heads warping it was for a brief moment the temp light came on and the fan stayed on once i turned the car off and popped open the hood.

·
Super Moderator
9,123 Posts
The engine will shut itself down if needed, when it runs hot. If you are driving down the road with wind going thru the radiator, the engine will stay cool. If you stop at a red light, it will run hot. The coolant temp sensor in the bottom radiator hose only reads temp, if there is fluid in that hose. If the system is empty, the warning light will not come on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i found more carnage while I was getting a head start in removing the water pump.... one of the hoses I replaced back in june was broken maybe that is what caused the coolant to spray out and the cap was not at fault, either way its not pretty, replacement parts are on the way had to overnight a few things such as the waterpump, and coolant pipe.
Automotive tire Wood Sunglasses Rim Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Automotive design Synthetic rubber
Automotive tire Plant Automotive design Tire Rim

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
side note, might as well take off that k&n sticker lol its been there for a long time just doesn't look that clean

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Old hoses get brittle over time, looks like you found your problem.
You’re right about that, but I just replaced that same hose a few months ago but it’s okay got the replacement in and it’s under warranty but oh boy never thought that would happen lol

·
Super Moderator
9,123 Posts
That is strange for a newer hose to crack like that. Has there been any work done in that area since the hose was installed?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah very strange, at the time when I changed that hose, just replaced the radiator this was in June before a road trip to San Diego from Las Vegas in July, no issues that i can remember, no leaks either, but at that time i didn't replace the water pump.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
replaced everything however it still puked coolant, thankfully it didn't overheat but this time it came from the hose that connects to the thermostat, i can't find that part number but the hose was disconnected and i tried to connect it back to the thermostat and it would not go in at all so just letting the car cool down before i remove the thermostat and see why its not clicking in.

·
Super Moderator
9,123 Posts
I would suspect that the o-ring inside of the hose has swollen up, did you spray some oil on it? There is also a plastic ring beside the o-ring that might be out of place. Below is a drawing showing all of the hoses & part numbers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would suspect that the o-ring inside of the hose has swollen up, did you spray some oil on it? There is also a plastic ring beside the o-ring that might be out of place. Below is a drawing showing all of the hoses & part numbers.
checked the o ring its not swollen up and i think the plastic ring looks like its in place but might as well swap that hose out anyways, no haven't sprayed some oil on it

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you very much!! I'll try that but i just ordered it so i'll just wait for the new one to arrive. Might be a silly assumption but maybe the metal expanded just a hair and the hose couldn't seat in properly but we'll see thanks again!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I suspect the new one will slide right on.
i'm sure it will this car has been fighting me all the way, tried to install the A/C belt with the special tool no dice applied tension on the belt to help it slide over and nothing i see why so many dread doing the A/C belt

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I suspect the new one will slide right on.
no more leaking coolant! although the car wasn't happy that I didn't charge the battery but everything works, the funny thing about it is that I still struggled to put on the hose to the thermostat! for some reason it would not slide on easily so I had to take the thermostat off and then put it in the hose made sure it was secured and its all good now not sure why that is but drove it till it reached operating temp and not a single drop of coolant next up the AC belt that i might have a shop install i had enough

1 - 20 of 24 Posts