BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there GT owners

I have decided the 535i GT (no x drive) is my next sweet ride but I have a few questions.

Considering model years 2010-2013.

First, even though I'm in a major metro area (Silicon Valley CA), I am finding few cars for sale. Are people holding on to them or were there not many made for the US market? I've purchased/shipped a car long distance previously so I know how to do it but it's not my preference.

Second, are some years better/more reliable than others in my target age range?

And, when I do find one, what are the problem areas I should have my mechanic look for?

Thanks for any help and advice.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It's a rare model so they can be hard to find. There have been improvements each MY. Newer is better to some extent. I have a 2011 which I bought in Dec. of 2014 and I've been very pleased so far.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
When first introduced in the USA, BMW only released 550 not xdrive models fully loaded (over $90 sticker)...that, being a new model with little advertising, soured some dealers on the model entirely. As a result, to this day, I don't think the model has been pushed by many dealers, keeping it fairly rare in the scheme of things. It took awhile before the xdrive and then 535 models were available, so I don't think in the USA you'll find any 535 for the 2010 MY, and some 2011's. I ordered mine for pickup in Munich (a great treat if you can spare the time). 2013 saw some system updates. BMW (and many manufacturers) tend to be constantly tweaking the car, some visible, some not. Note, without someone having updated the in-car telemetrics, you will not have the option for the onboard phone emergency system or internet capability. That can be added for a cost. The original unit was a 2G device, and that is no longer supported. I'm not sure when they went to a newer, still supported telemetrics module. If that's important to you, look into the costs - I think it was about $1K to update, then has an annual subscription cost.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you're willing to consider '13 MY, you should stretch it one more year and consider the '14 MY (LCI) where they changed the design of the lower front bumper and tail (chrome bar removed and new tail lights). The LCI tail looks better IMHO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum and am purchasing my friend's 2010 535i GT with 92k miles, 2 owners, clean title, nothing major wrong with it.

Any advice on what usually goes wrong/what's the best bumper to bumper warranty to get that goes unlimited miles (or at least to 180k miles which then I"ll sell it)? Cost doesn't matter that much because I'm getting a really good deal on it (purchase price) and have good private bmw mechanics to take it to in phoenix.

Any advice would be appreciated and warranty recommendations?

Had a 2010 328i hard top convertible, missed the heck out of it when I sold it and drove a mazda (reliable but BORRRRING) so glad to be going back to a BMW. Woo!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
phxbmwguy,
Not quite the exact coverage but close: https://www.penfed.org/auto/extended-warranty
(Main Street Protection).
I have the Easy Street policy for my 5GT, it is very good.
Thx for the rec. the challenge is I'm buying with 93k miles and will put another 60-70k miles on it because I"m a real estate agent/investor/developer etc in Phoenix, AZ (really spread out city driving a lot of miles).

I think I'm going to have to spend 4000-5000 for an all-inclusive bumper to bumper warranty on the car, which is ok since I'd be buying it about 6000 dollars undervalued.

·
Registered
68 Posts
which warranty are you purchasing? My CPO is up soon and I've been reading about PenFed's warranty on these forums. Tough decision IMO because there are a LOT of exclusions. I'm getting differing opinions and will probably reach out in that thread for more advice. Just curious if you found a different company that looks good.

https://www.penfed.org/auto/extended-warranty

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Frogy

If your question about whether purchased yet was for LKaplanCA, the answer is 'no', still looking. I'm going to have the pre-buy inspection done on a 2013 for sale in Florida that may work out, otherwise the search continues.

And Makiedog, thanks for the alert on the design changes between '13 and '14. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally found the 535i GT

Found my car! 2013 (used car dealer in Houston). Pre-buy inspection done by a mobile unit called Auto Exam. OK job; they did all the usual visual review including under carriage and engine components (leaking valve cover).

My mechanic inspected it today. 2 of the wheels are slightly bent, likely pot-hole(s). Mobile unit doesn't put cars up on rack so they missed that. Also there's a code showing the engine temp sensor has alerted previously and it alerted me once. So there may be a new water pump needed. Auto Exam missed that too. So they apparently didn't check the computer system.

Next time I'll stick with traditional shop for the inspection..

..but I love the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts