BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I'm totally new to BMW and am looking for advice on purchasing a 3 series on a budget.
I recently took a friends 318si out drifting on a hardpack/dirt course we made and fell in love with its predictability....even in full counter-lock.

I am currently looking at this one(see picture below) but am not certain even what year it is. The seller says its '95, but the ad says '97. He's asking 4600.00 for it. Is that reasonable?

Also, are these the stock wheels for this model?

Thanks so much for any advice you might share!

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
Hi,
I'm totally new to BMW and am looking for advice on purchasing a 3 series on a budget.
I recently took a friends 318si out drifting on a hardpack/dirt course we made and fell in love with its predictability....even in full counter-lock.

I am currently looking at this one(see picture below) but am not certain even what year it is. The seller says its '95, but the ad says '97. He's asking 4600.00 for it. Is that reasonable?

Also, are these the stock wheels for this model?

Thanks so much for any advice you might share!
The wheels are stock. Style 32s IIRC.

The car could be either 95 or 97. This car has a 'Facelift' grill from a 97, but they could merely be clipped in aftermarket ones, or OEM 97 grilles that have just been painted.

IMO $4600 is way too much for this modded car. (Modded as it has clear corners, instead of stock amber ones). If you look at the front D/S tire, it is bald. This likely means that the car's been abused, or at the least, neglected. It can also mean that the alignment is off.

Either way, for that kind of cash, in the US especially, you can find far better cars.

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
It could very well be a 97 MY. BMW NA started ordering the Radial Styling 32 wheels for 96.

A 96+ MY car will have a one touch open sunroof and digital climate controls.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the quick replies!!!

What would be a fair amount to offer the seller for this car?
And, is there anything I should specifically look for when I go to see it?

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,030 Posts
The exterior looks good, but I can't tell what kind of shape it's in otherwise. You didn't mention mileage, service records, interior condition or any other points that would be pertinant to our suggesting an offer price. $4600 is too much, though. If it's in excellent condition inside, has all the service records including showing the cooling system has been replaced, and is relatively low mileage (100k or less), $3500-$4000 would be a fair price.

As to the model year, look on the drivers side door frame. There's a builders sticker there that will tell you month and year when it was made.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,030 Posts
Bebe (9/94 build date) has side markers. :dunno:

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,464 Posts
Right, the later OBD1 cars did have side markers, but the 96-99 OBD2 cars had much smaller side markers than the OBD1 cars.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
30,030 Posts
Wow, never noticed that! Yup, the side markers on Bebe are a lot bigger.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,464 Posts
That car is dirty and not in good shape, I can tell. It's worth nowhere near what the seller is asking - maybe half of that, on a good day. Tip of the day: never buy a car on Craigslist from a seller that writes the ad in ALL CAPS.

·
^what does that even mean
286 Posts
That car is dirty and not in good shape, I can tell. It's worth nowhere near what the seller is asking - maybe half of that, on a good day. Tip of the day: never buy a car on Craigslist from a seller that writes the ad in ALL CAPS.
Why is that? What does all caps indicate?

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
Apparently, a pretty dirty hand once grabbed the right a-pillar.

Is the surround of the right interior door handle pull disintegrating? I think I see red sheet metal!

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,464 Posts
Why is that? What does all caps indicate?
It's just a bad sign, typically perpetrated by people who know less than nothing about the item they are selling. This ad contributes to my theory, since there is pretty much no info on the car listed in the ad other than a few options.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The guy is willing to go way down. I thinking if I wave 3K at him in cash he'll take it.

However, I've read that the 97 model has traction-control, which I don't want. Is there a way to disable it on that year?

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
ASC+T was an added cost option. The car may not have been ordered with it.

I remember a fellow who added a simple circuit to turn his off at start up.

·
^what does that even mean
286 Posts
Can it not be done via tune?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts