Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

New to the forum. I saw a 2011 328i SULEV sedan from a small dealer (not from BMW). The car had 96K miles but recently had the whole engine replaced by BMW due to the SULEV warranty. See the attached paperwork from the BMW dealership in California. It seems that lots of stuff were replaced by the dealer.

My guess is that the car was NOT properly maintained by the previous owners (3 owners). Would the engine replacement solve most of the issues? How would you compare this car with properly maintained 328i with similar mileage?

Is it a good idea to purchase a car with a new engine replaced? Any potential issues?

Appreciate your advice! THANK YOU!

Thanks,
Leo

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you live in an SULEV state, your warranty is 15 years and 150K miles. What is your state?
Thanks for your reply. I am in California as well. The dealer sent the Autocheck showing no damage or accident. I will check Carfax prior to purchase for sure.

I understand the warranty policy but try to avoid going the dealer often if the car is problematic. Rarely see a 3 series with replaced engine so would like to get more advice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Leo, Niello is a good shop, albeit expensive if you're replying on them for non-warranty work. I live outside of Sac and have had service done at Niello over the years but use an indy garage, Valleymotorwerks in Rancho for best service/results.

Question, which engine is in this 328i? I ask because I just got off the phone with Dave at VMW regarding a 2008 328i SULEV I am looking at. He gave me some specific pointers on this car which will impact what I'd pay for any used 328i SULEV (2008 E92 coupe).

Over the years (BMW owner since 2001, exclusively), I have heard of engine being replaced under warranty. Thus my question of which model specifically your looking at to buy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leo, Niello is a good shop, albeit expensive if you're replying on them for non-warranty work. I live outside of Sac and have had service done at Niello over the years but use an indy garage, Valleymotorwerks in Rancho for best service/results.

Question, which engine is in this 328i? I ask because I just got off the phone with Dave at VMW regarding a 2008 328i SULEV I am looking at. He gave me some specific pointers on this car which will impact what I'd pay for any used 328i SULEV (2008 E92 coupe).

Over the years (BMW owner since 2001, exclusively), I have heard of engine being replaced under warranty. Thus my question of which model specifically your looking at to buy.
The think the engine is N51. I am looking at 2010-2011 E90 Sedan and happen to see this SULEV model.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Your assumption is correct. That car was not maintained by the previous owners based on how late the recalls were. Also, the "new" engine was pieced together by the dealer. First, the head was replaced. Then the block seized and the short block was replaced. Normally a long block engine is replaced where the head and block are assembled at the engine factory by robots. For this "new" engine, the engine head to block was assembled in the dealer shop by a tech.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your assumption is correct. That car was not maintained by the previous owners based on how late the recalls were. Also, the "new" engine was pieced together by the dealer. First, the head was replaced. Then the block seized and the short block was replaced. Normally a long block engine is replaced where the head and block are assembled at the engine factory by robots. For this "new" engine, the engine head to block was assembled in the dealer shop by a tech.
wow. Thank you for your insights.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
The invoice says that the tech did all the things you mention -- but at the end he was unable to complete the engine due to a spun bearing, and was approved by BMW for a replacement engine. So, it's not clear that the engine was pieced together from the documentation.

I'd recommend (if still interested) the OP ask the dealer to provide documentation for the engine replacement. If provided, there's the OP's answer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The invoice says that the tech did all the things you mention -- but at the end he was unable to complete the engine due to a spun bearing, and was approved by BMW for a replacement engine. So, it's not clear that the engine was pieced together from the documentation.

I'd recommend (if still interested) the OP ask the dealer to provide documentation for the engine replacement. If provided, there's the OP's answer.
Thanks. Will call the dealer and figure it out. Do you see any other potential issues due to lack of maintenance (even though the engine is replaced)?

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Not enough data. Make sure you see the engine invoice (or paperwork), and ask to see the serial number on the engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts