BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for a dealer to charge a title preparation fee?
If so, is this usually included or excluded in a $x over invoice price?

Example:

Dealer agree's to sell a car at $500 over invoice (not the case but I wish it were) and the bottom line has the car at $25k(invoice) + $500 + $200 for title prep +$tax.

Does this sound right? Or should the title prep fee be included in the $500 amount over invoice?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I got mine for $1,500 over invoice, no extra charges, they did charge me for the floor mats ($97)

If you can REALLY get it for anything near $500 over invoice....

Don't worry

just buy it.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,535 Posts
Title prep fee?

FireFly said:
Is it normal for a dealer to charge a title preparation fee?
If so, is this usually included or excluded in a $x over invoice price?

Example:

Dealer agree's to sell a car at $500 over invoice (not the case but I wish it were) and the bottom line has the car at $25k(invoice) + $500 + $200 for title prep +$tax.

Does this sound right? Or should the title prep fee be included in the $500 amount over invoice?

Thanks in advance.
Here in CA, no such fee exists. For a retail purchse (a "buy") we customarily charge a $45 "doc. fee" (document preparation fee), but nothing for a lease...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. And for the record, I did not get close to $500 over invoice but boy do I wish...

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
In Maryland that fee is typical. It varies by dealer and how they process the tags.

It runs around $25 - $50 for them to run the paperwork and get things done. Some dealers have the ability to issue your tags and registration immediately. They charge $100 - $200 for that.

This does not include the fees the state charges for title and tags and registration.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Pinecone said:
It runs around $25 - $50 for them to run the paperwork and get things done. Some dealers have the ability to issue your tags and registration immediately. They charge $100 - $200 for that.
I was kind of bowled over when the F&I guy at Tischer excused himself, saying that he was going to get my tags and came back with them and the reg card. I thought he meant the carboard temp tag, not the real things. This was the big suprise of my whole buying expereince. They didn't charge me anything for the service. I still went to the MVA office a couple days later to get the Agricultural tags though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts