BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tyler's Paw Paw
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's a thread I've never seen before: how long did you own your car before you officialy put more money into it than you paid for it?

In my case, I bought my car mid January, 2007 for around $4,000, and when I paid for the flex disc/drive shaft installation that I had done this week, I'd officially put a bit over $4,000 into it since the purchase date.

So now, after 16 months and 15,000 miles, I have a wee bit over $8,000 in a '93 325i with 141,000 miles that has all new belts, seals, hoses, flex disc, drive shaft, control arms, tie rod ends, tires and wheels, valve cover gasket, AC service, transmission service, belt tensioner, water pump, all fluids replaced, short ram air intake, Conforti chip, hood shocks, shift lever, non-sagging glovebox ... and very nice floormats.

This means I'm averaging $500 a month (so far) for my car. My wife, and a few of you, think I'm an idiot; but most of you understand the addiction we have to our cars, and the desire to not only make it run great but look better than it is.

So, for me ... 16 months from purchase to putting more into it.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Well, I have put about $2000 into my car and I owned it for about 8 months. About 95% of that is in external visual modifications, since the car was maintained when I bought it.

But I am now going to start buying maintenance stuff, which will probably be another $2000.

And yes, I completely understand as I am addicted aswell.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
It looks like this includes maint and mods....hmm, lets see what I can remember off the top of my head.

I bought my E36 in Apr 07 for $4000.

$450 for headlight assembly and smoked signals.
$60 for Silverstars
$550 for tires
$80 for carpet shampoo and interior detail
$40 for above when giving car to the new owner
$300 for stereo equipment
$200 for strut brace
$200 for 3 oil changes (yes I did my own work, that's just for oil + filter)
$300 for tints
$100 for detailing supplies
$90 for intake

As far as I can remember, those are the only main expenses. Of course, I bought the car for $4,000, got her looking killer, drove about 14,000 miles and 9 months, and sold her for $6,200, so I suppose it all paid for itself.... :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
It will take 38 years

Bought my car new in May '97 for $44.9K. Over the past 11 years I have spent a total of $13.1K on maintenence and repairs. So at this rate my repair costs should equal the purchase price some time in the year 2035!

·
Tyler's Paw Paw
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not really asking how much you've spent on your car (even though I did list the mods/repairs to mine). There are a few other posts where people detail what they've done and how much they've spent.

What I'm curious about is how long it took until you reached that mid point ... the point where you've officially spent more ON the car than you did FOR the car.

It took me one year, three months and 17 days.

·
Registered
182 Posts
done very well

My 94 bmw: bought 3 years ago paid $6400 driven umm 30 000 miles or more dunno threw away my notes Repairs $200

My dad's civic bought new '01 (standard avoids auto tranny issues) zero repair outside warranty selling asap for 9 k since major repairs coming up

My brother's 93 topaz more repairs than worth

91 jetta bought $600

Other 94 bmw 318 bought $4000 repairs $1000 over 2 years

My cars wish I kept bought 86 celica $200 trashed bought 88 celica $500 sold 4 years later $150 repairs maybe $500 including tow and taxi bill plus $110 muffler ticket

In general I've bought cars dirt cheap, driven them to the ground, done very little at mechanics, on my own, ball joints, tie rods, bearings, muffler, alternator, lots of trips to junkyard

·
Registered
103 Posts
It took me about 2 months.... I bought it for $4,000, and just got done spending about 5,000 on it for Visual and maintenance.... Mostly visual.... and 4,560 for import.....

·
Registered
797 Posts
got mine for about 3.7k and spent about 2k after 7 mnths and still needs a bit of work so say about 12 mths

·
Registered
174 Posts
$500/month is ludicrous D:

counting mods I did the first week. I paid $1500 and put $2500 in mods into it. Then I paid $450 to repair the muffler that got damaged, and soon I'll be replacing the trans mount, flex disk, rear wheel bearings, and RTABs and I should be over $5000.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hmm, well I bought my car 9 months ago and paid just over $10,000 for it, so at this point I've barely put even $500 into it in terms of mods + repairs. Major maintenence i've done so far only includes brake pad replacement (not rotors) and a couple of oil changes. Major mods include HID headlights and foglights and new corners lol. I am buying some M3 style euro tails soon though, chalk up another $100!

·
M status achieved!
1,839 Posts
Wow, $10k for a non-M E36? You got RAPED!

Anyway, I paid $3k for my car and put $3k into it the first 3 months I owned it. 90% mods, 10% repairs. I now have over $11K invested (including purchase price) and another $5k to go till she's 100% done to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't think I got raped, remember location plays a large part of car price. I live in an over-inflated car market region of Long Island. I paid $10k for a 1999 black/black 5 speed 328iS...1 owner, dealer maintained with full records and only 68,000 miles. Owner wanted $11,500 and blue book value was over $12k private sale.

I was looking for a low mileage E36, that was really important for me. I found tons of 5 speed 328iS with over 110k on the clock, but I didn't want to buy a potential money pit at that high mileage. I've read the stories. Plus none were black/black, they were either green with tan or avus blue with some gray interior...not my style. Yeah I could have bought an early E46 with the same cash, but again it would have been a high mileage E46 too. No thanks.

·
Registered
797 Posts
mines just under 105000kms... not sure what that is in miles

·
Registered
630 Posts
I don't think I got raped, remember location plays a large part of car price. I live in an over-inflated car market region of Long Island. I paid $10k for a 1999 black/black 5 speed 328iS...1 owner, dealer maintained with full records and only 68,000 miles. Owner wanted $11,500 and blue book value was over $12k private sale.

I was looking for a low mileage E36, that was really important for me. I found tons of 5 speed 328iS with over 110k on the clock, but I didn't want to buy a potential money pit at that high mileage. I've read the stories. Plus none were black/black, they were either green with tan or avus blue with some gray interior...not my style. Yeah I could have bought an early E46 with the same cash, but again it would have been a high mileage E46 too. No thanks.
No way did u get raped...I think u got a great deal...Black on Black is sweeeeeeet man..I just recently bought my Black on tan 99 328is off of ebay from a Florida dealer and he originally wanted close to 15g's since my car had only 55,000 miles and was a one owner...but luckily after pestering him for about a month he gave in and sold it to me for a little over 10 g's

1 - 16 of 16 Posts