BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just found this forum because "bimmerforums" is basically dead. I've alwasy been into forums, and I want to educate myself on my next car.

I've purchased 2008 535xiT with Sport, Premium and Technology Packages. I've also added; ventilated seats (nasca leather), Night Vision, XM, and some other goodies. Keep in mind these are Canadian Packages, which differ from the US cars. The car should be here late July and I am very excited to get it.

My question for you guys (sorry if I seem like a newb but I can't find a picture of it) ... WHAT IS ANTHRACITE HEADLINER ... everyone seems to talk about it, even the "mini" community are so upset that it is not an option anymore. Can someone please post a picture or a link where i can see it.

TIA
~Andy

·
Registered
582 Posts
no picture but

I've never seen one either, but they say it's Black. Anthracite is a type of Coal; it makes sense.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Grey and black interiors come standard with a grey fabric covering the pillars and the roof. Anthracite replaces that with black fabric. Personally I think it makes the cabin seem too dark and much smaller, but some people swear by it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have ordered a 535xi, and seriously considered getting the antracite headliner, largely because so many Bimmerfest members love it.

My client advisor told me that it's really beautiful, but she didn't have a car with it on the lot to show me. I'm getting a black interior, and I was concerned that the anthracite headliner would make the cabin feel too closed in. Also, I think the gray headliner looks just fine with a black interior. Thus, I'm not getting the anthracite headliner.

I find the standard headliner offensive only with the brown interior, because I feel that the brown and gray really don't go together at all.

·
Registered
286 Posts
From someone who has had both, there is a HUGE difference. First of all, the gray is more like a woven nylon while the anthracite is more like felt. It looks way more luxurious and gives the cabin a warmer feeling. I had gray with black interior in my 06 550i and hated it. When BMW had the lease deal in March, I could have gotten a new 550 off the dealer's lot for $100 less a month but didn't do so because it had a gray headliner. I have been on this and e60.net for a long time and have yet to hear one person regret ordering it.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Dark headliners also don't show scuff marks. A shame this is no longer an option. :(

·
Hofmeister kink ftw!1!!1!
1,482 Posts
On a smaller car, the anthracite headliner might make the cabin seem cramped. On an E60, it's not the case (for me). I got the anthracite headliner this time, and love it! I prefer it to the grey on the E60.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I just got my wagon with the anthracite liner. It's really nice. The liner is black. It is soft/felt like, and covers all that would have been grey. There is not an issue with too much darkness, especially with the huge sunroof. There is a nice tint to the sunroof which allows me to keep the liner open all the time.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think I am sold on gray leather.

I assume that the anthracite headliner is really for black leather and would not be a good choice to go with gray leather. Am I right on that?

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is a priority 1 ordering option only. That is why you don't see many examples sitting around on dealer lots. Just ordered my 535 yesterday with alcantra headliner. Now the 6-7 week wait begins.

·
Banned
2,928 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
In Hindsight, I'd probably like the anthracite better than the standard headliner. I got the Black Leather and DO NOT find the grey headliner obnoxious at all. But then the grey does go better with black than some of the other interior colors. :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
I much prefer the anthracite headliner... I've had it on both grey and tan interior cars and it looks great -- not sure why, but it feels more sporting for some reason... I also had a grey leather/grey headliner on an e39 5 series. I did'nt mind it, but I like the dark headliner better. I would also say that it is certaily a personal preference -- so find it and look at it. Many of the last-gen X5's with sport package came with it as part of that package, so you might fins a used X5 on the dealer lot and check it out.

-- Kelly

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Sorry if I'm confused, but can one still order the AH on the 5-series? I just placed an order for ED last week and might be able to make a change...

Also, if it is an option, what's the cost (roughly)?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry if I'm confused, but can one still order the AH on the 5-series? I just placed an order for ED last week and might be able to make a change...

Also, if it is an option, what's the cost (roughly)?
Yes, I think you can order it (a Priority 1 option), and the cost is $500. Given the enthusiasm for it here, I'm seriously considering changing my ED order to include it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I much prefer the anthracite headliner... I've had it on both grey and tan interior cars and it looks great -- Kelly
I would really like to see the AH with gray leather. Anyone have any pictures?

And I would love to see it in person. Anyone near Dallas have one? (Or anywhere for that matter -- I travel a lot.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Called my dealer today ... apparently Canadian 5 series (at least the touring version anyways) come with AH when you order the "sport" package .... saweeet.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Looking at the BMW USA website, it appears the AH is a part of the sport package on the current X5. I'm sure any dealer has some X5's with SP, so that's probably the best way to see one in person in the US. (Choosing the SP in the "Build Your Own" feature on the USA website gives you a little peek at the pillars of the x5 with AH, and so does the "Visualizer" feature on the international website, for what that's worth.)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts