BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am getting close to purchasing an 07 x3. 3.0si 6spd manual. I've read up on some of the issues with them, and had a PPI done on this car. Everything seems to check out. What other forums are the best for finding info on these cars. I know it may be taboo to talk about other forums but it is the reality of being online. When I had my E28, it was mye28, for my e34 535 I go to the e34 section on bimmerforums, for my e36 needs I uhh well dont really rely on forums since I've pretty much done everything on my e36 (I've owned it since 2004, been modding them since they were new). On my E46 I went to e46 fanatics. Is there one central site or is it pretty much a collection of sites ? I'll mention the color combo when I pick up the car ;) :bigpimp:

I basically am asking because I will inevitably be modding it. I keep reading about INPA and coding and I realize that I will probably have to buy a coding or scanning tool to do such things. I just want to start getting some tools I will need to work on this beast. You may have seen me posting on various bmw forums..

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pics of my current stable, and my long since sold e28.. still miss it.

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
I "tried" other forums for my x-3 a few years back when I got it. Every car needs a forum. I was a former "Modded Mustang" nut and had a ridiculously built bad azz beast....then I grew up. Other BMW forums ended up a waste of time and energy for the most part. You will find yourself back here inevitably for just about everything. Between this site and YT, my car lives on because of them.

·
Registered
485 Posts
One of the things I wish I did was using INPA/ISTA on the X3 before purchasing...especially INPA. INPA can give you history codes on each module, so you'll get an idea of when ccertain components such as the TC gear were replaced, etc.

Edit: Also it is good to call up each place on the Carfax that did past services and ask for a service history record. They'll send it to you for free if Indie...dealer may charge $$.
If the Pano sunroof is of any importance to you, pull the accordian blinds off (you can always re-attach it), and inspect the mechanisms for stress cracks.

·
Registered
362 Posts
One of the things I wish I did was using INPA/ISTA on the X3 before purchasing...especially INPA. INPA can give you history codes on each module, so you'll get an idea of when ccertain components such as the TC gear were replaced, etc.
I didnt know that. So in my car for example, I changed mine last year, it would show that? It would know I swapped it out?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I didnt know that. So in my car for example, I changed mine last year, it would show that? It would know I swapped it out?
If you did not get the code 5F39 before changing the TC gear, then no one except you would know the TC gear was changed. However, if the 5F39 code was present (along with mileage recorded on the module, so you'll know when the issue "started," not exact replacement mileage), and the TC gear was changed, and the computer module was not cleared of the fault (most mechanics don't clear faults), then that fault will be stored in the "history" errors section until the next owner/mechanic clears it. So you can see past codes and get an idea of what was changed with INPA.
Edit: I also have this website bookmarked: https://us.autologic.com/news/bmw-x3-e83-x5-e53-transfer-case
It helps with understanding the drivetrain codes. For other codes I just google.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Frisbee.... TY as always. I need to get the correct scanner. I just use the cheapie ebay $11 basic OBD for basic CEL info. I should get the needed scan tool BEFORE I need it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its a one owner car that went to a dealership and my friends shop for misc things. My friends shop is a reputable shop they've been around for some time in the New england area. What is a good inpa scanner without having to search.. I've heard of carly something or other.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
The Creator C310 is quirky and low cost, but works fairly well. Search for a cheap one with recent software on it on eBay. INPA is a PITA to install and its best to have a W98 laptop; INPA's required cable is cheap, though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its official.. just purchased it crimson red over black gut 6spd.. looks like I am about to descend into debt again (jk) thanks to my modding bmw addiction.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
As KS said, installing BMW software like INPA is challenging unless you're a computer pro. I actually paid just a little extra to get my software package from a guy in the U.K. who packages it up nicely and sends you a file that installs everything similar to most any software. You end up with a menu on startup from which you can choose which software to use. It's still awkward to use, as these are not like using modern software.

That said, you end up having DIS, INPA, ProgMan, NC Expert, BMW Tools, and maybe another I can't recall OTTOMH. Frankly, I find INPA difficult to use, but DIS has even more capability and has worked quite well for the e83. I have also needed Progman when I had a new steering angle sensor that had to be coded to the vehicle. I also used it to make a few changes such as auto-lock at 2.5mph, turn signal flashes 3 times when you just flash it once, and there are other preference-type things you can do in there. DIS, though, is the workhorse that allows you to check/clear all the codes, reset adaptations, reset your transmission adn transfer case after oil changes, etc.

I had an old Win 95 laftop wasting away on a shelf in the basement, so I wiped it, reinstalled Win 95 and it is a dedicated BMW diagnostic laptop. The guy I bought the software and cable from was on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K-Dcan...h=item41f53ca326:g:7lgAAOSwZs1cBDdI:rk:2:pf:0

The auction sounds as if it's only the cable, but I believe the above actually includes the software. His contact info is right there in the auction, so if interested, you could email and ask him to clarify.

I eventually got ISTA downloaded/installed on my modern laptop. I did it the geeky way by downloading it for free and fighting it until I finally got it going. I use it most of the time now simply because I have it on my small portable laptop that is so much easier and quicker to use. The user interface is much more modern, but it's also quirky. I think I still prefer DIS the best if it wasn't such a pain to drag out the stone tablet and get everything fired-up and going.

Hope that helps.

AM.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
You have a 07 you should get ISTA instead, forget INPA that is out dated for your year of BMW.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input, This is going to be my first "modern" BMW, Im kind of excited and hesitant, I'm used to plug and play mods, Ive literally done almost every thing to my m3 except a clutch, and same goes for my e34 535i. So learning about the computer part of modding is going to be somewhat of a challenge. Im going to read more about it but im assuming I now need to find a laptop with win95. Ugh..

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Thanks for the input, This is going to be my first "modern" BMW, Im kind of excited and hesitant, I'm used to plug and play mods, Ive literally done almost every thing to my m3 except a clutch, and same goes for my e34 535i. So learning about the computer part of modding is going to be somewhat of a challenge. Im going to read more about it but im assuming I now need to find a laptop with win95. Ugh..

No, windows 7 will work. You need ISTA. You can use NCS Expert for coding out stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
485 Posts
lol...if anyone has issues installing INPA, you can pm me and I'll try to help...it's really not difficult. :rofl: Issue with ISTA is it WILL NOT show the "history codes," INPA WILL (but you already bought the car, so INPA now is more for your curiosity if you want to guess all the work PO did).
You don't need an old laptop, any will work....I use my macbook pro (hint: if you need Windows 7, just torrent it and use the "Windows 7 loader activator") since that's the only laptop I have :cry:
As for installing, you can see this thread here where I started off in the BMW world as a noob: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1397542

windows 7 and even windows 10 will work, you just need a good K+DCAN cable...that's the issue cause most people want to buy the cable under $20 :rofl:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts