BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm brand new to the BMW community and i'm looking to upgrade my hand-me-down Hyundai Accent that was given to me a few years back. I've been looking around and feel a 2012 335i would be a perfect choice for me. I'd like to get something that is reliable, quick, and somewhat luxurious so I think i've found the right car. The reason I came here is to ask some basic questions that may have been answered previously but I haven't dug deep on this forum yet. Figured I'd add that I'm an 18 year old college student who does not have an infinite amount of money so reliability is a huge thing for me. Is the N55 the most reliable BMW engine made? If not, what is? Which engine will be able to handle small performance upgrades without diminishing the life of the car? I want to do a tune and maybe a few basic upgrades after getting it and would hate to have my engine blow up in a few months. I'm from NY and the most I feel good spending on a new far is about 15-17k, so i feel the 2012 335i is a good choice. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I appreciate any feedback or tips!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If reliability and cheap maintenance are important to you, then the entire 335 series is right out.
Would a 2011 328 be a better decision then? I'd have more wiggle room for mods that i plan to do because of the price difference.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1517476

If you can DIY it lowers the cost of ownership a lot.

See the above link the turbo's have all the same problems as the 328
with the addition of turbo problems that can be quite expensive.
Even if you can DIY a Turbo change.

The 328 is not very tunable if power is your primary consideration.

Turbo cars are tunable because you can always increase the boost.

The base stereo on the US 2010 to 2011.5 is a POS
Hi Fi is not a whole lot better option 675 but can be modified the easiest.
Top Hi Fi or L7 is better but the hardest to modify.

The sport package is worth it for the seats alone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I can learn to DIY but I have only basic knowledge of engines and I'd be watching youtube videos while working on my daily. Regarding power, i'd like to have enough to have fun on the weekends with friends, and not sacrifice my reliability. I've seen that the 335 has way more problems since it's a turbo motor and I wouldn't be able to afford thousands of dollars worth of repair on the car I need to take me to class and work every day. In terms of tuning for 328's how much power are people getting with basic tuning and performance parts? Is like "stage 2" the correct way to say a car with a medium tune and performance parts here and there? Like I said I'm very new to all of this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Mods I've planned are tints, possible sound system upgrade, a basic tune, headlights and taillights, wheels, and maybe some cosmetic parts like new bumpers and a trunk lip or something. Not to mention snow tires cus NY snow is wild around this time of year. Feel like getting a 328 would be better since i'm saving a lot on the car, that way i'll have a few grand for upgrades.

·
beemlyfe
683 Posts
Mods I've planned are tints, possible sound system upgrade, a basic tune, headlights and taillights, wheels, and maybe some cosmetic parts like new bumpers and a trunk lip or something. Not to mention snow tires cus NY snow is wild around this time of year. Feel like getting a 328 would be better since i'm saving a lot on the car, that way i'll have a few grand for upgrades.
If you're simply doing aesthetic upgrades, a 328 would be just fine. The 335 with a N54 is best for engine upgrades and tuning, which you have indicated you will not be doing.

BMWs aren't cheap, and standardized maintenance alone increases the cost to own. Be proactive when performing mileage/time based maintenance, and get a low mileage vehicle. High mileage BMWs are cheap FOR A REASON.

If you haven't considered this already, you should be looking at a AWD (328xi) not a rear-wheel-drive. Especially if this is your daily driver, and you're young.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If you're simply doing aesthetic upgrades, a 328 would be just fine. The 335 with a N54 is best for engine upgrades and tuning, which you have indicated you will not be doing.

BMWs aren't cheap, and standardized maintenance alone increases the cost to own. Be proactive when performing mileage/time based maintenance, and get a low mileage vehicle. High mileage BMWs are cheap FOR A REASON.

If you haven't considered this already, you should be looking at a AWD (328xi) not a rear-wheel-drive. Especially if this is your daily driver, and you're young.
Only reason that I was looking at RWD was because i've seen a few videos and heard from others that a rwd car with snow tires performs better than an awd car with all seasons. This is going to be the car that is on the highway for 40 minutes every day on my way to school, and with the way snow has been looking in New York this year, I'm gonna need all the traction I can get. Not to mention I've heard AWD is more expensive to maintain than RWD. I plan on doing the preventative maintenence repairs quickly after I purchase the car if they haven't already been done. Are there any specific reasons you'd think I should get AWD over RWD? Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hell yeah. besides turbo, hpfp. there is walnut blasting service. there is major trade off for getting another 100hp+ from the same I6 engine.
That's good to hear. I mainly want this car to look nice, and be able to keep up with friends. Seems like the 328 would be the better option as turbo maintenance seems to be QUITE expensive.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Go with a 2011 328xi. That is the most reliable car with a nearly bulletproof inline 6. Forget tuning it, but you will find it has enough power for your needs. Get snow tires for it and you will laugh at snow. I don't know what part of NY you are in, but here in the Finger Lakes you want x-drive.

I have one and it is a great car. Yes, sometimes I wish I had more power, but I do NOT need it ever. Downshift on the on ramp and you will love it. Save the more powerful bimmer for when you are older and have more miles under your belt.

You should be able to learn enough to do basic upkeep like filters, belt and spark plugs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know what part of NY you are in, but here in the Finger Lakes you want x-drive.
I'm from the Albany area and we get serious snow. Also, I've never driven a manual as a daily but I do know how to drive it. Would it be smart to get an auto or manual as my school+work car? I get the stigma behind it but I really don't know what to choose.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'm from the Albany area and we get serious snow. Also, I've never driven a manual as a daily but I do know how to drive it. Would it be smart to get an auto or manual as my school+work car? I get the stigma behind it but I really don't know what to choose.
Auto or manual is pretty much a personal choice. You have an easier time finding an automatic car. I live in a hilly town, with traffic signals on the hills, and I got tired of my stick 330 sometimes. But I am also 72 years old. When I replaced the E46 330 with the 2011 328xi, I got an automatic just to make it easier on my leg, and on my wife's leg when she drives it.

But the stick was more fun, no doubt about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another quick question since you seem like you really know your stuff, what mileage should I be looking at? I was thinking around 40-60k being safe options but I'm unsure of when things start to go wrong. This is regarding the 2011 328xi. Also, are the 2013 models any different other than the facelift? They seem gorgeous but idk if the extra money is really worth it.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I own a 2011 328i x-drive. I'm VERY happy with it.

Maintenance on a BMW, any BMW, is going to be more expensive than what you're used to on your Accent. These cars are $60K+ when they're new. When they need parts, those parts cost more. Please understand this before making your purchasing decision. So many used BMW buyers are buying these cars for $10K, $15K, whatever, and then get super angry when they're faced with a $2K or $3K repair bill. Again, these are luxury cars that cost $60K+. Expect that maintenance will be more expensive than an econo-car.

That being said, I agree with the advice in this thread. Get a 328 as it will be a lot easier for you, maintenance-wise, than a 335. And ABSOLUTELY get x-drive (AWD) if you're in a snow-prone area. That aspect is not even debatable, IMO.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Also a 328 with an automatic transmission is kind of sluggish.
A 335 can overcome that somewhat because of raw power.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Also a 328 with an automatic transmission is kind of sluggish.
Don't mind ctuna. He's just trying to say that cause he's jello :p

No no, seriously tho, the auto transmission does shift a bit funny. I've found lots of BMWs shift "different" from what one would expect in any other car (the X1 and M3 being the exceptions so far, for me). Honestly, I've found it a bit difficult to "get used to", especially if I let my 328 sit for a while as I drive other vehicles.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
I pretty much hate all automatic transmissions.
But when you put them in a somewhat heavy car things get worse.
I must admit the newer ones are better . I had an x2 the other day
while I had a recall for a day an noticed it a little slow shifting on
a hill once and not much hunting , but its and 8 speed. Had the
F30 for day with the same transmission and motor and the lag on that
one was much more noticeable, that had an 8 speed auto also.
Honda auto terrible Honda manual telepathic. Toyota auto much better
than Honda these where pre 2000 Jap cars.
Drove my friends e90 auto about and 09 kind of laggy.
I must say they designed the e90 328 so it doesn't allow compression
braking as much as the e46 manual I had.
I like the DSG in VW's they shift pretty nice.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts