BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a question.

If i dump pure hydrogen gas into the intake for 20 minutes, will it remove a significant amount of crap (carbon, oil cake, hydrocarbon detritus) ?

My plan is to get a praxair tank, an expansion chamber with regulator and pipe it in through a 3/4 inch plastic hose.

Pure hydrogen flame decarbs quite well but i wont be able to achieve this. I will however get significantly higher concentrations of hydrogen into the chamber than the mobile decarb guys can since i can keep the higher volume of gas up for a longer period of time.

Ya or nay?

I want to do it after the shop is finished with my injectors.

Miqui

·
Registered
905 Posts
I worked at Air Products for a bit, and you can't buy H2 without being on an approved 'list'.

You're a lot braver (?) then I am wanting to play around with that stuff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe not in the USA but here i do not believe its an issue. I have access to it anyway in the labs so getting it is easy enough.

I asked our resident chemist about using the gas i normally worked with. I dont know where my brain went but i said "so what would happen if i used the inert gas we use for the sealed modules in the intake?"

He looked at me for 30 seconds waiting to see if i caught the wording of what i just asked. When i didnt, he turned and walked away shaking his head. About a minute later it hit me. The dumb stick smacked me hard :cry:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Op you must be bonkers...IMHO.
Why? Hydrogen engines have zero carbon deposits, hydrogen flame removes carbon deposits, mobile cleaners inject low levels of hydrogen into your car for 40 minutes or so and apparently that works. If hydrogen was more abundant and not so energy intensive to get, i would think that everything that was internal combustion would run on it. I just want to run on it for 20 to 30 minutes :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
The road to a Darwin award is paved with cheap backyard solutions to problems with inexpensive commercial remedies.

A carbon clean, at $100 USD or thereabouts, is way cheaper than a funeral or a few weeks in the burn ward. Or a new engine.

Al

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The road to a Darwin award is paved with cheap backyard solutions to problems with inexpensive commercial remedies.

A carbon clean, at $100 USD or thereabouts, is way cheaper than a funeral or a few weeks in the burn ward. Or a new engine.

Al
First off, the commercial guys want more than that and so far i havent seen one around here that has decent rating. Secondly, hydrogen injection, which is what the commercial guys are supposedly doing, is in itself not dangerous. My reason for posting at all was to see if anyone, at all, had a legitimate opinion or experience with it in actual use. I will do it, i will take photo's. To see if 40 minutes 'actually' accomplishes anything. The only difference between me and the mobile service is that they would be using electrolysis and i will be using 7 cubic canned hydrogen.

I am a professional. It will be fine. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
How are you going to ignite it in the valve area?

How are you going to ignite it in the valve area?
If you can get it.
The problem that causes this in the first place in no fuel going
over the valves.

·
Registered
905 Posts
.... I am a professional. It will be fine. :thumbup:
Famous saying of many a 'professional' prior to a major screw up.

Nothing like over thinking a solution for a minor problem. A bottle of Tecchron is cheaper, safer, known to work and .... much easier to use.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I guess non-direct injected engines can accumulate carbon deposits even though fuel is washing through the entire intake system, but it is fairly unusual in modern computer controlled engines.

How do you know you have carbon deposits, have you opened the system to see the deposits?

I am a risk-taker* and I say go for your hydrogen experiment. Make sure to video the procedure, and wear protective clothing and safety glasses in case the naysayers turn out to be correct. That way you can lord it over the critics when it works or at least provide exciting and explosive entertainment if it doesn't.

(*Full disclosure: I once cut my house in half, lifted the top off with a 100,000 lb capable crane, and put it on blocks in my backyard, while I framed up a second story. Then I had the crane come back and put the roof structure back on. Everybody told me it was a stupid idea. It worked out great. I preserved the unique architectural trim and details of the roof structure and saved lots of money.)

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
The guys responsible for

The guys responsible for real estate and wall street crashes were
all professionals beware of people wearing nice suits and ties
with establishment hair cuts.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hmmmmm...so the OP is going to pour liquid H2 in his intake with an expansion rate of 1 to 851 and a engine compartment full of passive/active electronics..........seems like a great idea and not to mention the fun one can have with the possibility of a static discharge.

-Kevin

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Do you know what UEL and LEL mean ? Do you know the values for hydrogen ?
If you're not familiar with these terms, don't do it.
I wouldn't do it anyway because you could form and explosive mixture and BOOM. Does the name Hindenburg ring a bell ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmmmm...so the OP is going to pour liquid H2 in his intake with an expansion rate of 1 to 851 and a engine compartment full of passive/active electronics..........seems like a great idea and not to mention the fun one can have with the possibility of a static discharge.

-Kevin
Not liquid injection. Gas injection from a small BOC hydrogen cylinder through a regulator and small hose into the intake.

I know it will do nothing for the valves but as was pointed out to me, the n52 generally does not have that issue as the valves get fuel spray. Apparently.

I have seen the inside of the chambers and the piston tops do have a soot all over them. I am going to pull the plugs out again, snap shot the insides. Run the car with the H for 40 minutes. Take the plugs back out and see if it did anything. If it didnt, oh well. Its another scam and now i known better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you know what UEL and LEL mean ? Do you know the values for hydrogen ?
If you're not familiar with these terms, don't do it.
I wouldn't do it anyway because you could form and explosive mixture and BOOM. Does the name Hindenburg ring a bell ?
If I need to know those I could check MSDS sheets. Or i could have tried to look like i would know this off the top of my head using google. Chemistry is not what i am trained for but general chemical knowledge is enough for what i am doing. There will be no boom. :thumbup:

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Not liquid injection. Gas injection from a small BOC hydrogen cylinder through a regulator and small hose into the intake.

I know it will do nothing for the valves but as was pointed out to me, the n52 generally does not have that issue as the valves get fuel spray. Apparently.

I have seen the inside of the chambers and the piston tops do have a soot all over them. I am going to pull the plugs out again, snap shot the insides. Run the car with the H for 40 minutes. Take the plugs back out and see if it did anything. If it didnt, oh well. Its another scam and now i known better.
Much safer and very effective: Water injection. You'll want a mister commonly used for water/meth injection just upstream of intake manifold. Good news: easily obtained.

Then again, temporary H2 addition may be much easier. Careful with sources of ignition.

You ran rich, bad injector?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Cal... I dont think so. Its my inablility to leave well enough alone. My curiosity has taken hold and i NEED to see if this does anything. I know the liquids dont do much of anything. I have seen the videos.

After tackling all the other backyard mechanic type things i am emboldened. I think i should have mechanical engineering instead of electrical. Messing with this car has invigorated me. That or its a midlife crisis.

The injectors were going to be done friday but they forgot about me and i wasted 3 hours of my time up there. I will still get them pulled and checked. 95% of the issues were cleared up with all new coils and plugs. Its the little niggling things i want to make go away.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Gotcha......make sure to let us know the results.

-Kevin

1 - 20 of 56 Posts