BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
Due in Jan 8th 2022 RWD 540i Msport with Dynamic package
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am waiting for my new 540i, seems to be stuck in Oxnard Ca. Port do to a lack of a radio "Ram Chip"
supply chain failure...had to happen.
Anyway, i have more time to think of "stuff". I am a long-time BMW motorcycle guy 10-year Motterad employee and witnessed and felt the arc of product improvement constantly. Such as Fuel injection, Can Buss wiring, ABS, Adaptive suspension, valve timing, etc...all have marked improvements with a continuing arc up in the MC circles.
I ordered the DHP package on my incoming Bimmer, I'm a little surprised in my research that DHP has been around since at least 2006?
Seems like my TV, Phone and tablets all in a couple of months cant go by without an update.
In my DHP research, I didn't pick up any real feedback on technical improvements in the BMW suspension package.
I'm sure the dynamic dampers have picked some speed, Active roll stablization reports seem basically the same, Variable sport steering seems might even have lost a step.
So any shared knowledge of product knowledge tweaking the evolution of DHP would be great to hear about.
My taste of hard-wired handling has lessened in my years, comfort is now out in front of cheap adrenalin. But still dip in.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,103 Posts
There are some of us here (myself included) who actually prefer the standard 704 M Sport suspension to DHP. Why?

The basic concept behind DHP is to soften the spring rates, then compensate for that with ARS and Dynamic Damper controls. The first BMW I had with ARS was my 2008 550, and it worked reasonably well. The last BMW I had with DHP was our 2014 428i GC, where the implementation was far from satisfactory. Same deal with my 2011 535; i disliked it so much it became my wife's car.

The ARS and the Dynamic Dampers do a pretty nice job when it comes to cornering. The problem is the softer spring rates allow more squat under acceleration and pitch under heavy braking than a properly-sorted mechanical suspension. I found the pitch-pole under spirited driving beyond annoying. So I went to a RWD with 704 for my 2014 535, then 704 on my xDrive 2017 and 2020 540's. The ride quality on rough roads is just fine, as the engineers have done a terrific job refining the 704 over the years.

I'm sure BMW has constantly updated the algorithms in DHP over the years, so maybe it is infinitely better in 2021 than it was in 2011 or 2014. But for a street driven sports sedan, the 704 is so fine I have never felt the urge to spend more $$$. (With its greater weight, I would definitely spec the DHP on an M550).

Did you spec IAS on your build? To me, that is a much more satisfying upgrade than the DHP. YMMV.

·
Happily Driving
7,243 Posts
There are some of us here (myself included) who actually prefer the standard 704 M Sport suspension to DHP. Why?

The basic concept behind DHP is to soften the spring rates, then compensate for that with ARS and Dynamic Damper controls. The first BMW I had with ARS was my 2008 550, and it worked reasonably well. The last BMW I had with DHP was our 2014 428i GC, where the implementation was far from satisfactory. Same deal with my 2011 535; i disliked it so much it became my wife's car.

The ARS and the Dynamic Dampers do a pretty nice job when it comes to cornering. The problem is the softer spring rates allow more squat under acceleration and pitch under heavy braking than a properly-sorted mechanical suspension. I found the pitch-pole under spirited driving beyond annoying. So I went to a RWD with 704 for my 2014 535, then 704 on my xDrive 2017 and 2020 540's. The ride quality on rough roads is just fine, as the engineers have done a terrific job refining the 704 over the years.

I'm sure BMW has constantly updated the algorithms in DHP over the years, so maybe it is infinitely better in 2021 than it was in 2011 or 2014. But for a street driven sports sedan, the 704 is so fine I have never felt the urge to spend more $$$. (With its greater weight, I would definitely spec the DHP on an M550).

Did you spec IAS on your build? To me, that is a much more satisfying upgrade than the DHP. YMMV.
I'll tell you one thing ARS is really good at- making little kids car sick! And regardless, I vastly preferred the 704 M sport suspension as well.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll tell you one thing ARS is really good at- making little kids car sick! And regardless, I vastly preferred the 704 M sport suspension as well.

Hmmm here is my situation I am an old motorcycle rider and racer of 50 years in the sport.
I carry some luggage 24 surgeries, cracked vertebrae, and a wafer-thin neck disc and minus 1 lower right leg. Guess what gives me a problem..lol. Not sure if i can sit in a recliner anymore for over an hour these days....lol
I gave up MC's but still love to drive. I might be just looking for some Glorious Lipstick to put on maybe an oinker of a handling package.
Not too long along I had a puff used 2017 540 M-Sport with 25K on the clock. I thought the suspension was soft...maybe 25k was nearing its suspension effectiveness. It had body roll in turns which i couldn't live with...then I got a 2021 X3 M40i, 21" wheels, and the dreaded Run Flats. The 704 suspension was good on the car. I drive a lot B roads here in northern Ca. Pretty much loved the car but it shook my bones some, Still carrying speed it's a lot to swing around a corner, plus the wife wants more Comfort Lux so the hunt is back to 540 land.
I have a hold on a dealer order car coming in one with DPH and one without (a lot of those available) and was hoping for some new magic DHP algorithms that can least compete with Facebook...lol.
The sales manager is giving me the choice of cars.
Quack your statement of :
"The problem is the softer spring rates allow more squat under acceleration and pitch under heavy braking than a properly-sorted mechanical suspension."
cleared my mind to adjust to reality. Thank you.
I will update soon.

·
Happily Driving
7,243 Posts
Also, don't forget- when an element of the DHP breaks, and it will, it'll cost you a fair penny...

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I all cost a fair penny to play...never played scared says the man with one leg.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts