Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m parking my car in NYC.After couple of weeks I found that my front bumper already has scratched.
I’m looking for some push bar or bull bar for front and back.I understand it’s ugly but I wont to protect my paint. Anybody have better opinion?

·
Automotive Addict
1,145 Posts
Really thick MIL vinyl protection. Other option is put the tow eye in the front and rear when parking on the street. People will not come close to your vehicle when a long piece of metal is sticking out of the bumper.

The cost of a brush bars and installation would probably exceed the cost of a bumper repaint along with the additional fuel consumption to haul these heavy metal bars and lastly your soft-roader will look silly with off-road equipment mounted on it.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,426 Posts
I disagree. There are more expensive components than paint just a bit deeper at each corner. I would add bars front and rear but for Milady Wife's resistance.

A couple of weeks ago, while the temperature was well below freezing and the plastic body work extra brittle, a deer tried to pass me and my X5 on the right. I first noticed her in the RH mirror, digging hard in the snow to get ahead, then she turned left and bounced off my right front corner, just where the DEF active tank is and the video camera. Not even slowing, she scampered right across the field. In a week my X5 spends a week in the body shop for $3K to replace trivially shattered plastic and the camera mount. Thank goodness the DEF tank was unscathed.

Bars and plates are not uncommon here about.

·
Nuclear engineer
16,426 Posts
My point was the more expensive components just under the relatively cheap coat of paint.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Other option is put the tow eye in the front and rear when parking on the street. People will not come close to your vehicle when a long piece of metal is sticking out of the bumper.
Oh, of course they will. They will park as if you haven't sabotaged your front bumper, and pedestrians will walk past your parked car looking for bike messengers and other traffic (or looking down at their iPhone). They won't see the tow eye, nor would another driver expect to encounter a metal protrusion on the front of a vehicle. That'd be like putting a draw bar receiver hitch on the front of your car, and then driving around NYC that way. And then, when they damage their car (or, worse, when a pedestrian injures a knee), they will hire an attorney and sue your insurance company for the tort. Especially in New York. Look at the "most laywers per capita" infographic of the US. Notice anything?

https://lawschooltuitionbubble.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/active-resident-lawyers-per-10000-residents-states-2015.png

I think the 'roo bar is the more civil way to go, if you're willing to trade paint for the way your frontal collision stuff is supposed to work. Putting anything other than "wrap" up there is likely to cripple your collision-avoidance sensors and airbag sensors. Mad Maxing your F15 just trades one problem for another. There's also a plate-frame bumper thingy (BumpShox and its peers). It looks like a genius idea - but as iconoclast says, you'd be transferring all of the force through the bumper skin (rather than into the injection-molded plastic), which may ultimately be worse for whatever is behind it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Also, I recently stole the minivan away from my wife (galinacar), and had the front bumper re-skinned and repainted by a body shop I trust. All OEM parts. So I'm sympathetic to your NYC problem. The van had never been in an accident. It just got to lookin' shabby after a few years of such abuse. Reskinning and repainting was probably on par with the price of an installed bull bar ('roo bar, brush bar...) anyway. The hardest part was the blend, but they did a nice job.

I just sucked it up.

NYC is really bad for this. Feel your pain.

·
Automotive Addict
1,145 Posts
They won't see the tow eye, nor would another driver expect to encounter a metal protrusion on the front of a vehicle. That'd be like putting a draw bar receiver hitch on the front of your car, and then driving around NYC that way. And then, when they damage their car (or, worse, when a pedestrian injures a knee), they will hire an attorney and sue your insurance company for the tort. Especially in New York. Look at the "most laywers per capita" infographic of the US. Notice anything?
the same could be said if they're hooked on brush bar or trailer ball etc. lawsuits are everywhere. if you don't see a bright silver protrusion coming out of the bumper you're not going to see a matte black one. either way, keeping your vehicle in showroom condition is a fool's errand... especially in NYC when parking on the street.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Had my 2014 x3 since sept of 2013. Still haven't been able to find a bull bar or any kind of bumper protector. I live in Brooklyn NY. I use the bumper bully for the rear, and the bumpshox for the front. But had to remove the bumpshox as it interfered with the sensors.

Only option is to have a second car or find BIG parking spots. Yes I know it's hard. Good luck on your x5

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Nuclear engineer
16,426 Posts
When I visit Big Cities I pay for secure and secured off-street parking, even for my VW.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am working at Center and Canal street and park the car at the parking and have monthly membership .And those scratches I get from the parking attendants 20 days Bmw .Feel my pain.That is why I ask for bull bars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Most 'bull bars' would not hold up well to a shopping cart much less the crap I've seen in NYC. To have an effective bull bar you'll need to mount it to the frame and then you're talking serious changes to your bumper, assuming you find someone who makes one for an X5. If you're considering the route of a bull bar then reverse shop. Start with a company like ARB and see what they make for SUVs sold in the US. Or get something custom made by a reputable 4x4 shop that knows what they are doing although no one in any of those shops will know what's behind the front facia of an X5.

Have you considered the train?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts