BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Chronic BMW Abuser
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an '01 540i (just sold my '02 M3) with Halogen and Angel Eyes and am looking for clear front turn lenses. I found these at Autowerks, but they seem kinda spendy @ $369 bucks.... Will kick down the dough if necessary tho...

http://www.autowerks.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=21853&cat=313&page=1

I'll probably get the 'solaris' bulb kit also, so as to complete the whole 'clear' look.

Thx in advance!

jp

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Uh, what is your question? :)

·
Chronic BMW Abuser
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
woops

Doh! - Sorry. Any experiences or product suggestions.

Thx :)

·
aka Turd Ferguson
1,406 Posts
I have the same car and want clear corners too...but dang $400 for clears?

hard to swallow because the RICER Hondas can have clears for like $40!

If you get them, let me know how to work and if it was worth it. I am waiting for some knoc offs or something. Waaaay pricey for clear corners for our cars.

·
aka Turd Ferguson
1,406 Posts
OrangeFan said:
Try these. I was also looking...at bavauto...and thought that $350 was too much as well. I haven't bought them yet so I can't recommend them, but they seem like they may be worth trying.

http://www.matrixracing.com/BI7756Details.htm
Yeah I found those...bavauto also has them...BUT...and here is the kicker. It is only for cars up to 2000.

I have a 2001...so no such luck. I dont know is it the same? All the lenses I have found that are not outrageously priced are usually for the older models.

·
Wrenchin'
2,051 Posts
AsianImage said:
hard to swallow because the RICER Hondas can have clears for like $40!
Hey man ! I had clear corners on my honda! til some ass decided to stop short infront of me in bumper-to-bumper californian traffic :mad: now I only have the right side :( oh well I like the OEM look too :thumbup:

clear corners on the 5 series looks hot, make sure they're the HELLA ones.

depends on how bad you want'em. For me, I can live without clears for now. But DAMN does that look sexy :yumyum:

·
Chronic BMW Abuser
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah - they're Hella sweet ;)

I think I have seen these same ones, (the ones at the link at Matix Racing) for various prices at various e-tailers. What I wonder about is:

1. Why do they always say they are fit for 97-00? I have an '01 and wonder why they would not be recommended for '01?

2. I have xeon w/Angel eyes already - and these never indicate if they are for xeon or not, or if it matters. Or if they would 'fit' with Angels?

I could always bite the bullet and buy a set and see?

jp

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,637 Posts
JPD said:
1. Why do they always say they are fit for 97-00? I have an '01 and wonder why they would not be recommended for '01?

2. I have xeon w/Angel eyes already - and these never indicate if they are for xeon or not, or if it matters. Or if they would 'fit' with Angels?
1) The 96-00 E39's had different lights. They were actually two pieces, including lense and a separate light housing. BMW decided to make it difficult to do the facelift up to the '01 look and made the whole unit one piece- angel eyes and all.

2) It didn't matter if the lights were HID or not, the '96-'00 lenses were interchangeable. These lenses will not work on your '01 without some plastic cutting and sealing back with silicon or similar.

·
Wrenchin'
2,051 Posts
PropellerHead said:
1) The 96-00 E39's had different lights. They were actually two pieces, including lense and a separate light housing. BMW decided to make it difficult to do the facelift up to the '01 look and made the whole unit one piece- angel eyes and all.

2) It didn't matter if the lights were HID or not, the '96-'00 lenses were interchangeable. These lenses will not work on your '01 without some plastic cutting and sealing back with silicon or similar.
Yep, I called HELLA inquiering about the possibility of just getting the lense with the clear corner to replace the OEM ambers. They said it was not possible because it's all one piece. So there's no cheap way around it, you need to buy the entire unit. Unless your one crafty sob :thumbup:

·
aka Turd Ferguson
1,406 Posts
JPD said:
I think I have seen these same ones, (the ones at the link at Matix Racing) for various prices at various e-tailers. What I wonder about is:

I could always bite the bullet and buy a set and see?

jp
FEELING YOUR PAIN....2001 here as well....

·
aka Turd Ferguson
1,406 Posts
PropellerHead said:

Propeller...you always have the answers! Just gonna call you the 5 series Mastah!~

·
aka Turd Ferguson
1,406 Posts
ketchup said:
Hey man ! I had clear corners on my honda! til some ass decided to stop short infront of me in bumper-to-bumper californian traffic :mad: now I only have the right side :( oh well I like the OEM look too :thumbup:

clear corners on the 5 series looks hot, make sure they're the HELLA ones.

depends on how bad you want'em. For me, I can live without clears for now. But DAMN does that look sexy :yumyum:
Yo ketchup....where ya been hiding? Long time no posts.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The cheapest i've found the euro angle eyes is thru www.germanstuff4you.com. Despite a cheesy name, they have the hella angle eye kit for under $900, with shipping from berlin it was still under a grand, and arrived in about a week. As was said, the clear corner lenses originally listed do not work on the angel eye headlamps.
If anyone has a 96-00, i have a set of those clear corners from my M5's original lamps that i would part with, since i've gone the euro upgrade route.
Mike

·
Chronic BMW Abuser
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for info and clarifying question

Propellerhead - thanks for the very specific info...

Mottati: did you buy the BMW sets or the Hella ones? I think I'd lean towards the Euro BMW originals over the Hella - just cause the price is almost the same anyway...

Thanks again, all, you're great!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts