BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - first time posting here but thanks all in advance for future help and past posts!

I have a 2015 328i on 3 yr lease. I opted into MSD as well as Excess Wear & Tear. Few qu's:

I'm looking at buying another car soon, and a friend told me that other dealerships will buy your lease and pay for the lease break fees etc. if you're interested in one of their cars. However, if I go to, say MINI,
-Can they really buy my lease?,
-and what happens to the MSD's??
-Do I have to negotiate to get this money back, since I "lent" the money to BMW FS, and not MINI? I'm most concerned about not getting the deposits back.

Second qu for the gurus here: last fall I was rear ended at an intersection and took damage to both front and back of the car. I had it all fixed at a BMW auto shop with all BMW parts (covered by insurance).
-How will this affect returning the car?
-Are they going to pull up a carfax or something and ask me to pay diminution of value?

-Any other advice? This was my first lease, as well as first car buying experience - I did this alone in an ~emergency when my '99 Civic caught fire, so a lot of my research was done in haste. Trying to be better this time.

I will check back diligently, and please know that I truly appreciate any and all help!! TY!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
You will get your MSD back unless there is damage to the car that extends far beyond your wear and tear protection. In a case it does, the difference will be covered by your MSD and then whatever is left will be returned back to you.

Yes, certain dealership (despite the brand.. it could be any brand) will buy your car if the present market value is higher than the buyout. In other words, if there’s money to be made, the dealer will try to make that money and take over your car. In your case, since the car was already in an accident, I don’t see this happening. You’re better off returning the lease back to BMW.

Yes they’ll use a carfax but during the preinspection (inspection before your actual inspection when you return the car back to BMW) the independent inspector will use a device to actually see which panels were repainted and or replaced. Very easy to do and they don’t need carfax to tell them that. Good thing is you used bmw to repair your car so everything should be to their standard. Otherwise they’d bang you for it.

Best thing to do is, work with your dealer and lease from them again, it will give them incentive to work with you on all the fees etc. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,945 Posts
You may face diminished value if you have a non-BMW dealer buy out your lease. That won't be the case if you turn the car in to BMW at lease-end, since you used an approved repair shop.

In the past few days, it's been announced here that BMW will allow folks with MSD's on their current lease to get MSD's on their next lease. That's a huge perk you will lose if you dump the car to get into an Audi, Honda, etc. Since Mini uses BMWFS, you "might" be able to roll the MSD's over to a Mini lease, but I would want to make sure of that.

Sure you want a Mini? A nicely equipped Cooper S 2-door is going to cost you +/- $35,000. The 230 isn't much more. And a nicely-equipped Cooper S 4-door is going to be pushing $40,000, about the same as a 320 with 6MT. In either case, I think the BMW is a lot more car.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
1 -Can they really buy my lease?,
2 -and what happens to the MSD's??
3 -Do I have to negotiate to get this money back, since I "lent" the money to BMW FS, and not MINI? I'm most concerned about not getting the deposits back.

4-How will this affect returning the car?
5 -Are they going to pull up a carfax or something and ask me to pay diminution of value?

-Any other advice? This was my first lease, as well as first car buying experience - I did this alone in an ~emergency when my '99 Civic caught fire, so a lot of my research was done in haste. Trying to be better this time.

I will check back diligently, and please know that I truly appreciate any and all help!! TY!!
1. They could, yes... but they will only pay market value for the car (depending on what you negotiate on the new car you are looking at). This means its likely you end up with negative equity on the BMW, as most of them are not worth their residual value on lease turn in.

2. The MSDs would be returned to you after the other dealer pays off the car (BMW FS receives a check for the amount owed). Keep in mind that a BMW dealer will pay less for that car from BMW FS than any other dealer. BMW FS will offer a BMW dealer a special buyout price they will not extend to any other dealer (other dealer will pay your residual value, just as you would buying the car at lease end).

3. The new car dealer may be told "the Price of the car at lease end (Residual) is (making numbers up) 30k, and the customer has 5500 in deposits with us, so we will need a check for 24.5k from you, mr mini dealer.

So, the new car dealer (non BMW) may tell you "we can take that car off your hands, no problem..." not telling, and you would need to check the numbers to make sure they did not include your deposits in monies payed on the BMW for them to take it. So, not "negotiate" to get the deposits back, but yes negotiate on the value of car at lease end.

4. The accident will not effect you returning the car as a lease (they wont ask you to pay diminished value)... IF you return to a BMW dealer. If you SELL it to a NON BMW dealer, it will reduce the cars value (so decrease its trade in value). So it would effect how much they would offer you for the car because you would be SELLING the car (so more negative equity on it).... so if you sell it to another dealer, yes you will lose money because of the accident.

5. BMW dealer no, other dealer, most likely yes.

Any other advice? Yes...

DO NOT SELL THIS CAR TO A NON BMW DEALER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. There is almost no situation where its better to sell a leased car to a non BMW dealer, than turning it in to a BMW dealer.

Cool your jets on the new car desire a bit and take your lease to term, turn it in, and walk away. OR, if you are going to get into a new BMW, turn it in within 3 months of the end of your lease. In both cases you would walk away owing nothing on it, especially since you have lease end wear and tear.

That lease end wear and tear coverage obviously means nothing if you trade the car in at a non BMW dealer.. so its lost money (the other dealer will not care about it, and will not compensate you for it, and they will likely charge you for the accident).

The ONLY reason you would be considering this is because you want out of your current car for some reason early. Dont do it, Take the lease to the end, turn it in, and walk away from it. Thats the only way you will not lose thousands in this transaction... because even IF another dealer paid you residual value for your current car (HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY unlikely), it would only be because they were making a killing on you on the new car... enough to absorb the negative equity (or because they are only planning to pay BMW FS what the RV is minus your deposits).

Dont do it.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Lots of good advice in this thread coming from folks who know.

A general comment on buying/leasing a new car -- any brand. Once one lands upon a car one wants to acquire, then all of the steps are about the same. Learn what they're selling for in your market. Land upon numbers that would work for you and then give the dealer an opportunity to hit your clearly stated target. Nobody knows what a 'fair' price is because nobody except the dealer knows what they can bring into play to put a deal together. Thus a customer is free to make any offer that can somehow be supported by a general understanding of the current marketplace -- the value of your trade, the cost of money, published rebates and incentives, invoice... all the usual stuff.

As we know, BMW dealers have more and better tools to deal with a BMW lease return so that will usually be your best option. But there are often conquest programs in play by BMW competitors -- trunk money that helps competing brands somewhat level the playing field. As the buyer, you don't need to waste time trying to ascertain what, say, a Mercedes or Audi or Jag or Cadillac dealer might have available to help them make a deal. All you need to do is pick the car you want and tell the dealer you are ready to do a deal today if the numbers are right.

As a person who visited a BMW Center to lease a new BMW and drove away ordering a Mini Clubman S ALL4, I found that there are things a MINI store can do within BMWworld, IF they are connected to a BMW Center.

Most important thing to remember is we drive the cars, not the deals, so getting the right deal is important, but it has to be the right deal on the car you want.

Your best chances are, of course, within the BMW world (which could include MINI), but if something else catches your eye, there's no law against giving the competition the opportunity to meet your terms. These days, who knows what a given dealer can do on a given day???

Good luck.

·
Registered
2021 X5M
1,733 Posts
You will get your MSD back unless there is damage to the car that extends far beyond your wear and tear protection. In a case it does, the difference will be covered by your MSD and then whatever is left will be returned back to you.

Yes, certain dealership (despite the brand.. it could be any brand) will buy your car if the present market value is higher than the buyout. In other words, if there's money to be made, the dealer will try to make that money and take over your car. In your case, since the car was already in an accident, I don't see this happening. You're better off returning the lease back to BMW.

Yes they'll use a carfax but during the preinspection (inspection before your actual inspection when you return the car back to BMW) the independent inspector will use a device to actually see which panels were repainted and or replaced. Very easy to do and they don't need carfax to tell them that. Good thing is you used bmw to repair your car so everything should be to their standard. Otherwise they'd bang you for it.

Best thing to do is, work with your dealer and lease from them again, it will give them incentive to work with you on all the fees etc. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The pre-inspection will measure the thickness of the paint, but if the entire panel was replaced/repaired then it should have been repainted to factory specs and will pass. The inspector is trying to determine touch-ups if your haven't declared. You can also pass on the pre-inspection if your returning to a BMW dealership you ordered an other car from, as 99% Mini dealerships are owned by the BMW dealership. For example, @ibizaswife had a $26,000 + accident on my '15 BM5 X5 50i, dealership knows about the accident and still wants the car at lease turn in despite the structural damage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts