BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to get a limited slip diff for my 540. The car is my daily driver and is autocrossed at least once a month with 2-3 HPDEs per year. I'm trying to decide between the Quaife (torque limiting) and a Salisbury (speed limiting) type LSD. I thought the decision was going to be made for me because the Quaife wasn't available a few months ago, but now seems to be available again.

I've been searching the archives of several forums and see conflicting info. Some say the Quaife works great and others say it won't put down power in hard cornering. Others say the Salisbury chatters and grabs and increases understeer, which I definitely don't want. However, a lot of those expressing opinions seem to be parroting what they've read somewhere else. Do any of you have actual experience with either of these units in the E39 and want to give me some input?

Also, if you would share which vendor you purchased from and the quality of work and service, I would appreciate it.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No phone number on his web site. Sent him an e-mail on Monday. Got an auto-response that said I would hear from him soon. Nothing so far.

·
Registered
244 Posts
What about swappiing in an M5 diff? Cost for diff, driveshat, output shafts might be the same or less than a new unit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
There was an M5 unot on ebay for 1500.00 the other day with all the parts necessary for the conversion. Joe got back with me in 2 days and then was very responsive once we started trading messages back and forth. I decided to not go the M5 route as I wanted to switch to a 3.46 to keep the car in it's power bands a bit longer as my sport already has a 3.15

Robert

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's ordered!

Thanks for the posts and PMs related to this issue. I really appreciate the referral to Jim Blanton @ Performance Gearing. He provided some detailed info in a long e-mail and was most helpful in answering questions on a follow up phone call.

I just ordered a 3:64 LSD with 40% static lockup. Unit should ship by the end of next week. I can't wait to get this installed. I'll definitely post a follow up with impressions for you guys after I get this installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts