BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my new 325i for almost a week now and have been checking all the forums and websites to get a much info as I can since this is my first BMW. I'm becoming concerned by all the problems people seem to be having. I admit some of them seem like nitpicking, but major problems, such as with the clutch, concern me. I had my Prelude for over 5 years and never had any clutch problems. What exactly is the problem with the Bimmers clutch? I've read that people had to have it replace with only a few thousand miles on the car.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Hanging around the internet gives you a exaggerated sense of problems. Those having problems naturally tend to post about them, while those having no problems generally do not post that experience. My two year old 330Ci is my third BMW in 8 years and I have never had any clutch problem.

I don't think BMWs are quite as bulletproof as Hondas, but my basic advice is to relax and enjoy!:)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Unfortunately, recent model BMW's appear to have a number of significant problems. Although there is no official TSB out (to my knowledge), a major problem is the clutch.

I posted a poll awhile back:

Clutch Poll

While there may not be a huge number of respondants, over 60% said they had a clutch problem. I don't know about you, but thats a lot.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well so far the only clutch complaint I have is the pedal's high engagement point. Makes hills rather an adventure. I damn near rolled into the guy behind me at a stop light on a hill. It takes some getting accustomed to when I'm used to a clutch that engaged just a couple inches off the floor. Hope I get better with practice.

·
Lead Foot
442 Posts
Quality Control

Richard, I had a 528i purchased new for 5 1/2 years. Most perfect assembled car I ever owned. I now have a 330ci '02 model special order. Three months old now with 4 K miles. Another perfect car so far. The Nav needs new sofware to bring it up to BMW standards. My selling dealer here in Melbourne got to-gether with BMW and have the Nav working while far from perfect it is doing the job. When BMW issues the new software I will be informed. My dealer had a new BMW in the other day with brakes shot and clutch shot is 3500 miles. It was owned by a person whio did his best to destroy the car. The 330ci is more fun to drive than any other car I can think of. Whille I don't baby mine, I don't try to destroy it either. Just sit back and enjoy your car and take most of the negative remarks you read with the old proverbial grain of salt.

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
Re: Quality Control

rwebbe said:
Richard, I had a 528i purchased new for 5 1/2 years. Most perfect assembled car I ever owned. I now have a 330ci '02 model special order. Three months old now with 4 K miles. Another perfect car so far. The Nav needs new sofware to bring it up to BMW standards. My selling dealer here in Melbourne got to-gether with BMW and have the Nav working while far from perfect it is doing the job. When BMW issues the new software I will be informed. My dealer had a new BMW in the other day with brakes shot and clutch shot is 3500 miles. It was owned by a person whio did his best to destroy the car. The 330ci is more fun to drive than any other car I can think of. Whille I don't baby mine, I don't try to destroy it either. Just sit back and enjoy your car and take most of the negative remarks you read with the old proverbial grain of salt.
thats true..I sit back and drive...most damage is from abuse. I also have the same brakes on my car and they still feel wonderful.. I also now have 32k miles... :bigpimp:

·
Turbo Addict
87 Posts
Almost 4 years and 40k miles later...

my '99 328i is still running great. Maybe even better than new. I drove a few hours with a couple of friends in the car today and both commented on how "solid" the car felt over bumps. They said it was amazing that it had 40k miles on it! They don't even know about the firmer Dinan suspension that puts an even greater strain on the overall "integrity" of the car.

Never been stranded, only a couple of minor, easily fixable harnesses/sensors that have needed replacement. Overall, after 40k miles, it drives and feels better than most new cars out there, to me.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reassurance guys. I certainly baby my cars more than necessary so hopefully I'll be fine. Now if I can just get more comfortable with the transmission. The feel is just totally different from my Honda. Still glad I bought a manual. Just couldn't justify the buying the "ultimate driving machine" and not shift for myself.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Re: Almost 4 years and 40k miles later...

RichNY said:
my '99 328i is still running great. Maybe even better than new. I drove a few hours with a couple of friends in the car today and both commented on how "solid" the car felt over bumps. They said it was amazing that it had 40k miles on it! They don't even know about the firmer Dinan suspension that puts an even greater strain on the overall "integrity" of the car.

Never been stranded, only a couple of minor, easily fixable harnesses/sensors that have needed replacement. Overall, after 40k miles, it drives and feels better than most new cars out there, to me.

Enjoy!
LOL, a whopping 40K miles! I would really hope that after 40 thousand miles a car would still be in perfect shape.. My GS400 with full TRD suspension (sway bars, matched shocks/springs) has 60K miles on it and has no squeaks or rattles whatsoever. I think that a car should be flawless up until around 60-70 thousand miles and after that then age should kick in....

·
Turbo Addict
87 Posts
Hmm...

Geez...after reading "LOL" I thought you were going to say a car should last 100k without problems!!! Who knows? Hopefully at 60k my 328i will still be improving. I would think my input on the car at 40k miles is helpful, especially given that it came off the line in the first few months of E46 production.

Is there something magic about the 60k number that makes THAT the acceptable start of decline for you? Number of years in service certainly has something to do with it, as does the quality of the driver/maintainer, etc. Perfect example: I'm in NY and I'm guessing from your user name that you're in Cali. I'd say that's definitely a factor in aging...have you ever driven on frost-heaved/potholed NYC roads? What to expect out of a car all depends on a lot, not just mileage.

That said, I fully expect my baby to take me another 40k miles and then some with minimal fuss.

Hopefully "age" won't kick in on the GS400 at your estimated 60k miles. ;)

·
Registered
595 Posts
clutch problems.....

first off: there is the difference which is highlighted in this month's roundel magazine....female columnist....explains about the whole clutch issue in BMWs. drive like a fool, pay the price in terms of clutch pricing.

but, that said, there are issues with the dual mass flywheel and the newer clutch designs such that there is more slippage under all conditions. the saving grace? well, the drivetrain is saved and the clutch....well, tha'ts mostly a wear and tear item, isn't it?

hard to imagine major problems which are the fault of BMW here. mostly vendor batches which are bad. some M cars had bad batches of clutch disks which, because of bonehead owners who didn't allow for proper breakin, coated the disc with a nice glaze.

most of the 3 series stuff sound really anecdotal. these engines are by no means high horsepower...so, allowing for a very low number of bad vendor batches, i think the clutches will last in a manner proportional to owner aptitude.

·
3,762 Posts
People like to come to the internet and complain. Most of the time, it's kids just having fun. Other times, it's people upset that they have a squeek in a $30,000 car. On a rare occasion, someone actually has a legitimate problem.

I'm at 11,500 miles on my 330, and am still yet to have a single problem, squeek, or rattle. The car has been flawless.

Coming from about 10 years of Hondas, I was initially concerned about possible lesser quality (read:reliability) from a BMW, but instead have been pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Living w/ the BMW

I can understand how you may feel concerned about the road ahead in terms of the car.

I too am in the same boat when I decided on BMW. Being a long time Honda product owner.....cars exceeded 200K miles. I gave in and bought a BMW. Only because any interesting cars Honda had only came with Automatic Transmissions.

By previous postings was to see how everyone else is doing and to voice concerns. Obviously, there are problems w/ window regulators and clutches.

My concerns is that if another car company can build cars that cost significantly lower but deliver higher durability, there is NO EXCUSE for a company that prides itself on engineering.

Because I love the car and what the company stands for, I will be vocal with concerns about the product. Not only to share the experience but hopefully keep any concerns about product quality in the minds of those at BMWNA.

I can't see a loyal owner just saying, "well....that's the way they are....minor headache but I'll live with it."

It is that attitude that brought us a ton of Detroit iron that was so average that even the industry trade publications - Automotive News, etc...- have stated that one of the Big Three has problems where people renting cars at the rental agency doesn't want one of their products.

I am happy to report that after the round of problems, the last 10K has been trouble free. 43K on the odom right now.

Bad batch of parts....perhaps. I hope to own many BMW's in the future. However, should this one turns out to be a turkey.....I'll go from being loyal to shopping around once again.

Hope to read that you have had no problems after 100K miles.

Welcome to the board.

·
Lead Foot
442 Posts
Honda vs. BMW 300 Series

I trust this post will not bring down the despised flames, but here it goes. I have never owned a Honda but there are 3 of them in my family. Transmission (Auto) quit in my daughter in-law's 2000 Honda at 37,000 miles. Irony of this, the first auto the gal ever had. She drove her Honda's well over 100 K without new clutch. No drag racing, however. Despite the warranty had expired, Honda replaced it not with a rebuild, but a new one. Point I suppose, no car produced is always perfect.
I somehow have a difficult time comparing a Honda Coupe 6 Cyl. (Acura?) with my 330ci w/Step, PP, Xenons, Nav, PDC, Gate Opener, 6 CD, Tape Air Bag Interior, Steel Blue Metallic, precise handling for 45 K. I know many of you prefer 5 or 6 speed. I have driven many and taught both of my children to drive a 5 speed that had the synchros wore out. They learned how to match engine speed (RPM's)with gear speed. Some days when I feel frisk a 5 speed would be desireable. Other days when I am so so, the Step does a good job. This choice is what makes the BMW a winner. The comparison of Apples and Oranges apply here I think. I love to see young folks graduate to the BMW from Honda. Some of the older BMW's go the 200 K and more. Read the Roundel. My BMW can be compared to one of the Planes I once had. Very, very forgiving after the driver inadvertently makes an almost fatal mistake. It pulls you out of trouble. Guys and Gals, this is the reason most of us are willng to forgive a reasonable amount of trivial problems. Go to Spartanburg Tech Center and take the driver's course. I took delivery there and had an abbreviated run on the course and skid pad. These cars will perform miracles. Thanks, and drive safely.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.