Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, on the lower part of the (rear) quarter panels, I've found that the paint started blistering, following a wet winter with a lot of rain, snow and icing. My model is a coupe. A garage would be great to keep prevent rust but that's not possible where I live. I've checked the panels , and found a lot of rust inside of both panels at the bottom where they are connected to the plastic side skirts, near the B pillars, so the bottom front side of the quarter pannels are affected . On the left there was rust even on the B pillar, where apparently the paint was even thicker. Today I've finished removing the rust, coated with a rust converter primer and paint. The quarter panels also required using a filler because the steel sheet had perforations. There was rust also on the lower bolts that hold the panels.
The reason for rusting is that dirt gets on the interior of the pannel and also the drainage is not very effective. There are some pieces of plastic you can see when opening the door but they leave a small gap whre water can go through. There is a gap in the wheel liner where dirt can get inside.
I've check for used panels and some of them also litte rust on the same spot.
I was thinking, as a preventative measure, applying an insulating tape / sealer for the wheel liner gap and on the drainage whole. Another thing would be tring to remove dirt from there more frequently.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Good thing you discovered and treated the rust before it did more damage. We get a tremendous amount of rain here in central Fla, and even with the high humidity rust is not really an issue here. But road salt is another story. It is extremely corrosive, and if they salt the roads in your area I suspect the rust you found on your car was anywhere the tires kicked it up (i.e. wheel wells and quarter panels). Hosing that salt off regularly is critical if you want to keep the tinworm at bay, and sealing the gaps with tape may do more damage than good. Have you thought about getting a cheap fun beater (like a 325ix) to drive in the winter?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good thing you discovered and treated the rust before it did more damage. We get a tremendous amount of rain here in central Fla, and even with the high humidity rust is not really an issue here. But road salt is another story. It is extremely corrosive, and if they salt the roads in your area I suspect the rust you found on your car was anywhere the tires kicked it up (i.e. wheel wells and quarter panels). Hosing that salt off regularly is critical if you want to keep the tinworm at bay, and sealing the gaps with tape may do more damage than good. Have you thought about getting a cheap fun beater (like a 325ix) to drive in the winter?
Thanks.
This year I didn't drove through snow, and I kept the summer tires on, but the roads are rather dirty all the time. I have an x1 sdrive as well, I can drive in the winter.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: the rear panels had severe rust on the bottom rear areas that affected the strength of the sheet and needed reconstruction and welding of area otherwise it would either not hold well or it could even rust again. I had a 2k epoxy primer I could***8217;ve used but I decided to replace the panels. I couldn***8217;t find good use panels as they all seemed to suffer from the same problem so I decided to buy new oem panels, I also painted the whole car because the old paint job was a poor coat of unknown pearl white over the alpine white original paint. Also people here have the habit to scratch cars with a key when they don***8217;t like something.
At the shop they removed the bumpers, tail lights, the front hood, rear hatch and glass and the doors. The results are pretty good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts