BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still shaking out the 2001 "325iA" for gremlins and inoperatives. The CD player in the dash works fine but I found the CD changer ( in the trunk ) inoperative. The Owner's Manual for...BMW Business CD Car Radio... shows on page 17 a drawing of a CD changer with the words: " BMW CD CHANGER" on the sliding face. A look in the trunk found the following:
KENWOOD
COMPACT DISC AUTO CHANGER
KDC-C667
I take it that this KENWOOD is a retrofit? Or an option? Can anyone clarify?
P.S. Don't mind me my 87' 325is still has a CASSETTE player!

·
You can call me Bill
827 Posts
I just checked my trunk and it says "BMW CD Changer". The cassette seems to be manufactured by Alpine so I'd have to guess that the Kenwood is a replacement. Have you checked the cables to see if it's a direct install or if they hacked up the wires to make it work.

Attachments

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Ditch the changer and get a DICE (iPod adapter that plugs into the cd changer cables). See the artist/track info on your radio and have full control with your steering wheel...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The KENWOOD is mounted with "L" brackets underneath the rear shelf area. It appears to be a good installation; no sloppy splices, etc. As stated I'm not familiar with the new stuff so I'm in the dark with an 8yr. old used car.In addition, I'm not into going back to "factory spec" on a CD. If it is completly inoperative, i.e., I'll just replace it with a decent newer CD when my retirement check comes in next month. I already called two shops here in NW Broward and both were OOB!
Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KrisL:
What am I gonna do with my massive CD collection? Take up skeet shooting in additon to my monthly( summer and fall) visit to the pistol range? Ok, thanks, I'll check into it.

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
I concurr with Kris's assessment. If you still had CD capability, I'd keep it going, but since it seems your changer is kaput, maybe moving over to an iPod based music source will be a better investment. Costs will be roughly the same for the DICE or a new name-brand non-OEM changer with the adapter package (needed since it is not OEM, unless you get it to work with the Kenwood setup). A large model iPod can probably carry a substantial portion of your CD collection and is much less prone to damage compared to a mechanical player; the DICE (or even the OEM) iPod adapter will keep it charged and going.

Unless, of course and judging from your "retirement check" comment, that you are more traditional and all this newfangled iPod stuff is too complex and alien... :D:D:D

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
KrisL:
What am I gonna do with my massive CD collection? Take up skeet shooting in additon to my monthly( summer and fall) visit to the pistol range? Ok, thanks, I'll check into it.
You launch iTunes, insert the CDs, and have it convert them to MP3s which it'll place on your iPod automatically. Your entire CD collection will be at your disposal instead of only 6 CDs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes, jcourcoul, sometimes all this new stuff is a challenge,especially when you've grown up with paper notebooks,cassettes, and Swintec typewriters ( BA, 91'). I'm not anxious to have the look on my face like my geek IT girlfriend has after a hard day at work: like a Green Beret who has fought one too many battles!P.S. KrisL I will check it out to see what the financial damage will be!:)

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
Yes, jcourcoul, sometimes all this new stuff is a challenge,especially when you've grown up with paper notebooks,cassettes, and Swintec typewriters
Cassettes? That's outrageously modern! 8-track is the preferred format!! Just the thing to go with my 1/2" magnetic computer tape on 14" reels, Fortran programs in punched cards and an 8" floppy diskette containing IBM 4381 microcode. And I keep forgetting my 16KB ferrite core RAM card. :rofl:

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
I forgot to mention that the changer in my trunk is currently disconnected in favor of a DICE unit. It rocks and the changer is just collecting dust and adding weight to the car.
That's the main difference between the DICE and the BMW OEM units (beside the $$$): BMW lets you have both functions, whereas the DICE substitutes the changer.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
That's the main difference between the DICE and the BMW OEM units (beside the $$$): BMW lets you have both functions, whereas the DICE substitutes the changer.
I'd say the main difference is the DICE gives you significantly more functionality!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts