BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am a new BMW owner. Previous vehicles were Lexus and Infiniti.

I purchased an '08 650i this March (2008). The sales staff were great! The deal was smooth and hassle free. There were some follow up issues that could have been better, but not a big deal.

Now... a week later the front left brake begin to stick when I would release the break pedal at slow speeds. I took it in 3 times to the service department and they rode with me, but it wouldn't do it with them in it. The 4th time I was near the dealer and drove it by.. they finally got to hear it and said it was a bad brake caliper. Two days later I get my new car back after they ordered the part and replaced it. My concern from this visit was I was given a 3 series that was dirty. I'm not trying to be pretentious, but if I wanted a 3 series, I would have purchased one. When I asked if there was a larger car I was told no. I was irritated, but left it alone.

Now.. two weeks later.. the noise is back. Exact same noise. I call the service advisor and informed them of the issue. She asked to drop it off again the next week (next earliest appointment). I told them I can't take time away to drive it to the dealership yet again. Keep in mind I have been there 5 times now AFTER I purchased it. It only took 2 visits to buy it. They refused to come pick it up. I had to escalate to a manager to get them to do it.

I get a call the day they were supposed to pick it up telling me they are out of loaner cars, so we have to reschedule again.

Finally today I get the call a car is ready (left on my voice mail). I call back an hour later and get voice mail. Call again 10 minutes, I get voice mail. Concerned I will loose my loaner again this time, I call the main number. After waiting on hold for 10 minutes, they transfer me to voice mail. I call back.. wait 10 minutes again.. I get hung up on by mistake during a transfer. Finally get in touch with an advisor and work out a time to drop it off. I get there and get a 5 series as a loaner that is covered in dirt and food particles all in it.

SO.. it's still at the shop for round 2 of what's wrong with the brakes.. all in my first month of being a BMW owner.

THE QUESTION IS... is this what I should expect from BMW Service in the future or is this isolated to a bad dealer or experience? With my previous vehicles (Lexus and Infiniti), I was always treated with a personal touch and was ALWAYS given a vehicle to drive of equal size/options.

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
First, let me express my regret that you're experiencing these problems with your new 6-Series. I bought my `07 new in December, my second 6-Series convertible, and I have experienced no mechanical problems to date; so, the problem you are experiencing is (hopefully) something isolated. As far as I am concerned there is no excuse for you receiving a filthy loaner car. If it were me, I would write a letter to the dealership to let them know that receiving a filthy loaner one time may be an unfortunate mistake, but a second consecutive time is unacceptable because it points to sloppy and haphazard behaviors. Probably the best service experiences I have had have been with the Lexus dealership that I have been doing business with for the past 13 years (5 cars). The CPO 645 that I traded-in for my current 650i was my first BMW and first experience with BMW service and, so far, I am very satisfied. The premesis is clean, the technicians are neatly dressed and courteous, and the loaner cars have always been cleaned when I received them. Recently, I had work done on the 650i to install the iPod Interface and when my car was returned I noticed that someone dirtied my floor mat. I brought this to the attention of the valet and he had one of the porters take the car back and clean it, no questions asked. So, I am inclined to say that your experiences are "bad luck" with the dealership you're doing business with. Is there another BMW dealership near where you live or work? I have found letter writing to be very successful in this connection, and you may want to consider writing the General Manager of your dealership and inform them about your experiences. The only other thing I have to say is that the 6-Series is a great car and you will enjoy it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your described experience is unacceptable! I would have gone ape shiet and escalate to the SA manager and if needed... the GM. Which dealer was it? I service my car at East Bay BMW in Pleasanton and have been treated very well there (I have tried BMW Fremont and MV BMW... yuck!).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well.. the saga continues.

The SA apologized for the issues and assured me it was resolved. This time they replaced the brake rotor (remember they replaced the brake caliper the first time).

Two days later.. you guessed it.. the grinding friction noise when you release the front left brake is back!

Apparently the dealer is using a "trial and error" approach to diagnose the real issue.

I called back yesterday (Saturday) and my SA was not working. I asked for the SA Manager, he wasn't working. I was directed to the "acting" manager and he was none too concerned and told me to bring it back Monday, because there is nothing he can do on a weekend. When I asked him what the plan would be to resolve it, he stated "I have no idea, I don't know the history of the car or the situation". History?? The car is only 6 weeks old!!

I drove to the dealer and in hopes to speak with the Sales Manager. The one I bought it from was out. I got sent to the Sales Manager for Pre-Owned and he seemed annoyed with my concerns and told me I would have to talk with the SA Manager. He continued to type in numbers into the computer and work on another sale with me there talking to him about it.

After explaining it IS and SHOULD be his responsibility to help with it since I purchased the car from the sales staff, he agreed to take down my number and talk with the SA Manager on Monday on my behalf. I asked him to engage the General Manager.

Geez.... I had no idea owning a new BMW would turn out to be such a hassle.

The name of the dealership is STEVENS CREEK BMW, SANTA CLARA. I originally didn't want to call it out on here because I wanted to give them a fair shot. But at this point, this dealership lacks customer service, competent mechanics and a genuine concern for owners.

I will take it back there on Monday to see what they can do. Otherwise, I am going to take it to another dealer - even though the next closest is 45 minutes away.

·
BMW NA Customer Relations
454 Posts
So, I am a new BMW owner. Previous vehicles were Lexus and Infiniti.

I purchased an '08 650i this March (2008). The sales staff were great! The deal was smooth and hassle free. There were some follow up issues that could have been better, but not a big deal.

Now... a week later the front left brake begin to stick when I would release the break pedal at slow speeds. I took it in 3 times to the service department and they rode with me, but it wouldn't do it with them in it. The 4th time I was near the dealer and drove it by.. they finally got to hear it and said it was a bad brake caliper. Two days later I get my new car back after they ordered the part and replaced it. My concern from this visit was I was given a 3 series that was dirty. I'm not trying to be pretentious, but if I wanted a 3 series, I would have purchased one. When I asked if there was a larger car I was told no. I was irritated, but left it alone.

Now.. two weeks later.. the noise is back. Exact same noise. I call the service advisor and informed them of the issue. She asked to drop it off again the next week (next earliest appointment). I told them I can't take time away to drive it to the dealership yet again. Keep in mind I have been there 5 times now AFTER I purchased it. It only took 2 visits to buy it. They refused to come pick it up. I had to escalate to a manager to get them to do it.

I get a call the day they were supposed to pick it up telling me they are out of loaner cars, so we have to reschedule again.

Finally today I get the call a car is ready (left on my voice mail). I call back an hour later and get voice mail. Call again 10 minutes, I get voice mail. Concerned I will loose my loaner again this time, I call the main number. After waiting on hold for 10 minutes, they transfer me to voice mail. I call back.. wait 10 minutes again.. I get hung up on by mistake during a transfer. Finally get in touch with an advisor and work out a time to drop it off. I get there and get a 5 series as a loaner that is covered in dirt and food particles all in it.

SO.. it's still at the shop for round 2 of what's wrong with the brakes.. all in my first month of being a BMW owner.

THE QUESTION IS... is this what I should expect from BMW Service in the future or is this isolated to a bad dealer or experience? With my previous vehicles (Lexus and Infiniti), I was always treated with a personal touch and was ALWAYS given a vehicle to drive of equal size/options.
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts