BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,'

after reading all the success stories on CIC retrofit, I decided to start collecting parts to get it done for my E70 2009. I'm planning to use one of the local (SoCal) installers that work with bimmer-tech or bimmerretrofit, and in general I'm clear on what's needed, but can't figure out if I need PnP Activation module/cable, like the one below: http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=92

Is this cable required even if all the coding will be done by professionals, or it's only needed if I would decide to do retrofit myself and didn't want to do any coding remotely or otherwise?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I just finished the retrofit and used the adapter above. The cable and emulator is needed to activate the navigation, backup camera and PDC in your new CIC. It tells the CIC to ignore your X5 Vin and to use the activation code that came from the donor X5 to activate needed options. Coding just aligns the options that don't need activating and then transfers them from your X5 config into the CIC. Examples being HiFi DSP or HUD. Do you have a backup camera, PDC or DVD in the glove box?

There are coding/script activation available now but I doubt a local installer would go that route. That involves hacking the CIC to activate without the emulator but I doubt that would work with the backup camera in a 2009.

Let me know if you want the part number list I used. X5s CIC retrofits can be more complicated than E90 ones and the parts are harder to find. I am happy to answer any questions while it is still fresh in my head.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for clarification!

I do have PDC and camera, but no DVD in glove box - only one below the radio/CD.
Both CIC and combox are from 2012 US cars (X6 and X5 respectively), and CIC has exact the same features that my current CCC list, except it also has BMW Apps (well and combox control, which my CCC obviously doesn't have).

For the module/cable, I contacted bimmerretrofit and they said for my car and CIC VINs, I would need this one:

http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=70

If you could list part numbers you used, it would be great - I had to scout various forums and sites to find what people were using for CIC retrofit, and I think I got all the right pieces ordered, but if you have the list handy, I can double-check to make sure I didn't make a mistake, and can order the right part instead.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
No DVD in the glove box makes it easier. I have my combox but have not installed it yet as everyone is out of the PnP adapters. I probably will just make one. Parts list below.

CIC system
screen
controller

Face trim around CIC and climate controls 51456967464
Console top trim 51169164485
Console mount 51169164483

usb socket 84109237656
Usb cable 61129255716
screen power plug 61136954526
Screen cable 61119185171

·
Registered