BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just bought and installed a new set of depo ellipsoid headlights and new smoked clear corner lights and at first i thought everything was working perfectly. But now i realize that my corner lights dont turn on with my headlights anymore :dunno: Any help solving this issue? Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea i do and thats the weird part, i cant figure out what changed in my corner light wiring when i switched my headlights.. nothing did! lol, i just unplugged the old bulbs and used the USA/euro harness to connect em..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya i guess so, it just drives me crazy that i cant figure out why they stopped lol.. i dont have fog lights, i might control them with the fog light control.. i dunno, well if anyone knows why i'd love to know!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
lol well the glass on my fogs are busted (previous owner) so i just havent spent the money to buy new ones yet.. i kinda like the look of the corner lights, but im mostly driven by my confusion. i might try to get a hold of the manufacturer, if theyre not outta china or something haha

·
Registered
760 Posts
Prolly a dumb question, but...

Do european cars use corner lights like we do in the states? If so, then your lights are working correctly as per the Euro harness. Is it possible to bypass that harness and just do some DIY wiring? A lot of work for corner lights, I know.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The reason they're not working is because to power the angel eyes you need to tap into the wire that powers the parking lights (the lights that go on with headlights) right now the power is going only to the angel eyes (see diagram). if you want the parking lights to work you need to connect all three of the wires together. Hope that made sense.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so right now, my usa/euro harness has a gray wire thats supposed to power my angel eyes (which i dont have yet), that is just dangling because i dont have any angel eyes to power.. now are you saying i connect the loose gray harness wire to the hot parking lamp wire?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Oh... hmmm I assumed you had angel eyes already wired up if you were having this problem. If you don't have angel eyes then the parking light wires should not have even been touched during installation of the new lights... Did you alter them at all besides pulling out the bulb socket and clipping it into the new corners?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no i just swapped the whole bulb/harness assembly into the new corner light housing, i didnt unplug anything, just unclipped em and swapped em. they dont use corner ligts with headlights in european e36's so thats a very valid point, i could just be sol.. if thats the case then im done worrying about it lol..

·
Bimmer enthusiast
564 Posts
he's what i noticed when mine messed up when i had the wrong bulb, i had the 1 contact bulb and not the 2 contact. it caused my angel eye to blink when i turned my turn signal on.

·
Registered
760 Posts
no i just swapped the whole bulb/harness assembly into the new corner light housing, i didnt unplug anything, just unclipped em and swapped em. they dont use corner ligts with headlights in european e36's so thats a very valid point, i could just be sol.. if thats the case then im done worrying about it lol..
Through some wiring, you may not be SOL... I'm sure with some wiring you could get your corner lights to come on via the foglight switch or with the headlights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts