BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AWD rocks
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a '02 325xi and bought it last april. i haven't been in any snow yet but did, however, make the car slide (with no traffic near me) on a wet/slick surface on purpose to see whether the "DSC" light blinks in the gauges area. it didn't. in fact, i still yet to see the light blink on. is bmw's all-wheel drive system that good or could i have a malfuction? btw, the light only comes on if i turn DSC off my pressing the button..

the reason i tried sliding on purpose is that a friend has a '02 325i and his DSC light blinks occasionally while driving over pot holes or bumps on highways. i wanted to test

is bmw's all-wheel drive system that good or could i have a malfuction?

thanks,

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
IMO the system is good. But I've been able to get the DSC to engage:)

In a few inches of snow I threw it around enough to get it to engage. And on a few occasions during spirited drives and making hard turns it has come on (which I could do without).

As for a malfunction, I don't know. I would suggest throwing your car into a spin on gravel to test but :yikes: that could be bad for the paint:(

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've had my xi since December. The DSC has only activated once. This was in about 1.5 inches of slush. I purposely came around a corner faster than I should have to see if the DSC would engage, and it did. No drama. Just a momentary "uh oh", then it went back to normal traction.

If the xi is your first all wheel drive vehicle, you may not be used to the enormous amount of traction that's available. I've had a couple Subarus too. It's just much harder to get an AWD vehicle to lose traction.

·
AWD rocks
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
called my dealer...

i called don rosen bmw in phila and the shop foreman said this is normal because of the all-wheel drive setup (meaning the light not coming on in my sliding test situation). he also said that the light most likely didn't come on since at least one wheel had significant amount of traction.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
DSC-X will let you slide a little more than DSC (which is what non-xi models get) before engaging, but it will come on (as I am constantly reminded when I forget to turn it off while autocrossing :banghead: ).

There are a few turns that I hit pretty frequently where I can trip the DSC-X in the dry (where in other cars I encounter significant bump steer). When the DSC engages, you will be absolutely certain that something strange just happened...the power cuts out and your body will lunge forward against your seat belt.

·
10,856 Posts
I get DSC to turn on all the time. But I'm VERY aggressive. This usually happens when simultaneously turning and launching hard. Especially coming out of a parking lot, causing a wheel to leave the pavement. Next time it rains, if you're doing about 50 on an EMPTY two lane road, heel the wheel over. If DSC is on, you should hear tire scrubbing and see lots of flashing. If it's off, the rear will start to come around.

Be CAREFUL!

Nick

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I'd recommend trying it in a large parking lot- like a mall after hours or something.

last thing you want to do is meet up with a tree after finding out your DSC did not work the way you want it to.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Find an empty gravel parking lot. Turn your wheel about half way in one direction or the other. Punch it. The car will whip around, the back end will break free, and DSC will kick in.

Be careful you don't kick up stones and damage anyone else's vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.