Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally new to the coding process, and I've been overwhelmed by the massive amount of information out there.

I have a 2016 340i / F30 with adaptive LED lights. Found my build sheet and confirmed that I have option 552 (adaptive LED), 5AC (auto high beams), 5AP (no-dazzle decode), and 8S4 (variable light decode).

I would like to enable VLD only, as I understand the missing hardware aspect of GFHB.

Is my understanding correct that I need to update the FA to remove 8S4, and VO code this option in? No FDL coding (and no Launcher Pro) necessary?

I have downloaded and installed E-Sys as well as the psdzdata files. I have a cable on the way. I have NOT downloaded Launcher Pro, as I hear there are issues getting the activation code/token, and it may not be needed for what I want to do.

Basically just looking for confirmation that I'm on the right path here. TIA!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.

I'm confused about that post you linked to, it doesn't specifically mention F30. What am I missing there?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think I got it...followed this guide, removing only 8S4. Tested by flipping high beams on, and saw the left low beam move in and out.

http://www.bmwesys.com/guides/VO Coding Step-by-Step Guide.pdf

Almaretto, thanks for clarifying to code FEM_BODY, the first guide I found stopped after modifying and writing the FA, was missing the actual code step.

·
Super Moderator
7,064 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I got a chance to take a drive tonight. Did not notice any difference in beam pattern at the 35 mph and 68 mph adjustment points that I read about. The low beams are still terrible, even at 70+ mph. Still have the same dark spot directly in front of the car that I had previously. My understanding is that the headlight knob has to be in the Auto position, which it was. Does it matter if the auto high beam function (lower button on the turn signal stalk) was enabled at the time?

The low beams may swing more side to side as I turn, or I may just be paying more attention. Not sure which.

Is there anything I could be missing here? To recap, I removed 8S4 from VO, wrote FA/FP back to car, re-read FA to verify 8S4 gone, read SVT (what's the difference between Read SVT Actual and Read functionally?), activated modified FA, right-clicked FEM_BODY and coded.

·
Super Moderator
7,064 Posts
I got a chance to take a drive tonight. Did not notice any difference in beam pattern at the 35 mph and 68 mph adjustment points that I read about. The low beams are still terrible, even at 70+ mph. Still have the same dark spot directly in front of the car that I had previously. My understanding is that the headlight knob has to be in the Auto position, which it was. Does it matter if the auto high beam function (lower button on the turn signal stalk) was enabled at the time?

The low beams may swing more side to side as I turn, or I may just be paying more attention. Not sure which.

Is there anything I could be missing here? To recap, I removed 8S4 from VO, wrote FA/FP back to car, re-read FA to verify 8S4 gone, read SVT (what's the difference between Read SVT Actual and Read functionally?), activated modified FA, right-clicked FEM_BODY and coded.
You should skip the write modified FA back to car. This way, it appears factory when at service.

VLD is all about low beams and cornering lights.

Do not expect a miracle. Depending on headlamps, it may not completely achieve desired affect because still not fully capable.

No, it does not matter if HBA is activated. But, since you are not enabling NGHB, you will not see beam shaping. Though, better to test with it disabled, so you are just focusing on one aspect.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I can write stock FA back to the VCM no problem. That wouldn't affect VLD performance though right?

My low beams were horrible to start with, it actually feels dangerous to drive over about 55mph on a dark road. I was hoping this would help some. It was hard to find a dark street in Phoenix with no traffic on it where I could reach 70 mph, so it's possible that I just didn't give it enough time or had a bad test environment or something. Maybe my expectations were just too high. I also don't have fog lights, they were deleted as part of either the M-Sport or Track Handling package, can't remember which. Not sure what that affects, if anything.

I'll give it a few days and see if I can find a really good road to do some testing on without worrying about other cars or having to watch my speed carefully. If this VLD doesn't end up helping I'll take it to the dealer to make sure everything is aimed right, and if everything's in spec, maybe I'll try adjusting the lights manually to get a little more forward throw. Was hoping to avoid that but I'm at a point where I want to trade cars with my wife when I have to make a night road trip anywhere.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So after a couple days, I'm fairly confident that the side-to-side swing when turning the steering wheel is significantly greater with 8S4 removed than stock. That part is pretty cool. I have not found a good test scenario for the speed-based headlight pattern yet, but my initial feeling is that it's either not working fully or there's not a significant enough pattern change to be readily noticeable. I did orient the car facing a concrete wall in a parking garage and flip the headlight switch back and forth between Auto and On...lights move slightly downward when going to Auto, and slightly upward when going to On. So maybe that's a confirmation of some sort? Need to code back to stock and see if the same thing happens.

Probably going to take the car in to check headlight aim in the near future...it's that bad...although I'm not sure if there's something wrong, or if this is just how it was designed. Passenger side is fine, but the driver side is aimed such that at anything over probably 50-55mph, if anything entered the roadway from the left, by the time the headlight illuminated it it would be too late to do much about it. I'll try to get a pic in the near future to see if others have the same throw pattern that my car has.

If I were to buy a set of OEM euro-spec adaptive LED replacements (63117419627 and 63117419628), is it possible to code them to correctly enable both NGHB and VLD? Or are there other limitations as well? Not sure I want to spend the money, but curious if it's at least a possibility.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Went for back-to-back drives around my block tonight. I think I was wrong about increased side-to-side sweep, I did not notice a difference between stock and VLD coded drives. I think I just wasn't really paying attention to it before coding the first time.

The only difference I did notice between stock and VLD is that with stock coding, when I flip between Auto and On with the headlight switch, there is no difference in beam height when shining on a wall in front of the car. With VLD enabled, there is a very slight drop in Auto, and a very slight rise in On. The difference is almost completely imperceptible when driving, hit a bump or go under a streetlight at the wrong time and I missed the transition. In addition, the change in forward throw is negligible. There is no change in the width of the pattern at all.

So my conclusion based on just VO coding out 8S4 is that there is almost no difference between the "Town Light" and "Basic Light" patterns, at least on my car.

Is there something that needs to be FDL coded in addition to the VO coding to make these work? Or is it just not possible with the US spec lights? The diagram posted above makes it seem like the Town Light pattern is lower and wider than Basic Light, but what I'm seeing is they are identical except Basic Light has a teeny tiny bit more distance...but not enough to make anything that resembles a perceptible difference. I gave up at this point and didn't even bother trying to test the "Motorway Light" pattern.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts