Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Conti Sports on my 325i SP and was wondering if a flat could, or rather should, be repaired. I had a small, yet robust, splinter of wood puncture the tread yesterday. TIA

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
jm8571 said:
I have Conti Sports on my 325i SP and was wondering if a flat could, or rather should, be repaired. I had a small, yet robust, splinter of wood puncture the tread yesterday. TIA
I don't see why you wouldn't have it plugged or DIY? As long as it's not near or on the sidewall, you should be fine if the plug is done correctly.

·
Registered
678 Posts
For street driving, a properly done plug should be fine. If you want to track the car with that set of tires you'll need to replace it.

·
Here since day one
7,180 Posts
I usually have the tire patched. From what I understand that is better then having a plug plus when they put a plug in, the usually make the hole bigger first with that tool !!

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Patch is the way to go. A patch may or may not void any warranty a tire might have. A plug most certainly will.

I believe a plug will also invalidate any speed rating the tire has. I don't know if a patch does the same thing.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Alan F said:
Nice sig Kaz :thumb:

Thanks. I'm no shutterbug so that (at the road rally meeting point during this year's 'Fest) is about as 'artsy' as you'll see from me. :D

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
jm8571 said:
It really depends on you. Normally when a tire is punctured and repaired, the speed rating (H, V, W, ZR, ZR-Y) is compromised and the tire loses its ability to function at said limits. However, for daily, highway driving there's no need to worry about speed exceeding H rated tires.

However, if you EVER plan on going to any of the performance driving schools or auto crossing, they do NOT allow patched or repaired tires because on the track you WILL be testing the limits of the tires.

If it was up to me, I'd replace the entire set of Conti Sports with something a little grippier like a Sumitomo HRZ IIs or if you have a stash of drug money around, Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S-03s. But that's just me. :) Repairing ($20) vs. replacing ($600-1,000) is a big difference.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
One last note regarding patching v. plugging. My wife's set of Pirelli P7000s got a small puncture a few months back and I had the tires plugged. It's now developed a very annoying drone at highway speeds (75-85 mph) and is very loud.

From what I understand, when a tire is patched it will also lose the speed rating. I think patching is a more elegant solution although I'll need to pick up another puncture in my wife's tire (if it were my car I'd replace the whole set) to try the patch method. :dunno:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts