BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We do not have a alarm for our wagon so when we press the lock on the key there is no sign that it works. I try to listen for the locking noise but it is tough to hear if it is a noisy parking lot.

I was wondering what you guys do.

1. Assume it locks
2. Visually verify it locked
3. Use the key to lock

any other way? Wish it beeped or flashed the lights or something.

TIA
Jeff

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Q: There is no audio or visual cues when I remotely look my doors if I don't have an alarm. Is there any way to get a visual confirmation or the "clown nose thingy" to blink?
A: Yes. Here's how:
1) Have your dealer hook up the shop computer (MODIC) to the car.
2) Go to the "Anti-Theft" activation section.
3) Activate the alarm, but uncheck the "DWA" option.

After this is done, your corner light should blink once when locked and twice when unlocked remotely. In addition, the clown nose will blink when car is locked just as if an alarm was present.

Contrary to the previous version of the FAQ, there are no permanent fault codes that are generated for the latest E46's (at least for MY2001's and later) by programming this option.

FAQ

·
Enthusiast
235 Posts
Jeff_DML said:

Since you are from San Diego, what dealer did it for you? We bought our car from Brecht and plan to service it there too.

Thanks
Jeff

P.S. Is that building in Sorrento Mesa?
I bought my car from BMW of SD and had them program it for me gratis. I've heard horror stories about their service dept, but they didn't damage my car. But one thing that bugged me is that I told them not to wash my car and they did anyway.

Brecht, very nice people. Had my 1st oil change with them. I plan on bringing my car to them for my next oil change as well. :thumbup:

The building is on Town Centre Drive :)

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
epham said:

I bought my car from BMW of SD and had them program it for me gratis. I've heard horror stories about their service dept, but they didn't damage my car. But one thing that bugged me is that I told them not to wash my car and they did anyway.

Brecht, very nice people. Had my 1st oil change with them. I plan on bringing my car to them for my next oil change as well. :thumbup:

The building is on Town Centre Drive :)
Thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
For what it's worth, one of the things I really like about the alarm system is that you have AUDIO confirmation that the door is locked (one beep=locked, two beeps=unlocked). The visual confirmation is nice, but you have to watch the car and really pay attention (e.g. "was that just one flash, or did I miss the first one?").

Sure, this is an extremely minor detail, but when you think about how many times you lock your car over the course of ownership....well, it's something to think about. Plus, as an added bonus, you get a very nice alarm system, which should pay for itself when you consider the insurance premium credits you'll receive!

You can pick one up at Circle BMW for $225 and install it yourself.

·
Touring with Traction
96 Posts
Jeff_DML said:
Anybody done this mod on a 2002 car?

thanks
Jeff
Jeff, works on the '02 wagon too. I had my dealer program this as part of the PDI so there was no charge. I think having the blinking clown nose in a dark driveway is the biggest benefit, but having the corners flash on locking is also useful.

BTW, re insurance discounts, in these parts the discount is given for systems which immobilize the vehicle, not for the audible warning. Since the immobilizer is standard, adding the alarm will not result in any further discount. YMMV.

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
'02-325XiT said:

Jeff, works on the '02 wagon too. I had my dealer program this as part of the PDI so there was no charge. I think having the blinking clown nose in a dark driveway is the biggest benefit, but having the corners flash on locking is also useful.

BTW, re insurance discounts, in these parts the discount is given for systems which immobilize the vehicle, not for the audible warning. Since the immobilizer is standard, adding the alarm will not result in any further discount. YMMV.
thx, I will try to get it done. Still contemplating the alarm also.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
My salesman plugged in the MODIC and programmed everything for me when I took delivery. We went down the list on each page and he asked what I wanted for each item. There were a few that neither of us were sure of, so we left them alone. Someone here in the past couple weeks said that he was going to post a list of everything.

I'm glad it doesn't beep. What I hate is the short range of the system, although the key to chin trick does work well.

·
Banned
9,901 Posts
What I hate is the short range of the system, although the key to chin trick does work well.
Man does it! The range is even worse on a convertibe, 'cause the reciever antenna is in the rear-view mirror (instead of using the rear window defrost lines). Key alone, I can get about 20-30 yards max. Key on chin I've been able to get repeatable, reliable operation at nearly 3 times that distance.

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.