BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as a new member here i have my first question :)

Today i started to tear down the front end, shocks and brakes needs to be replaced, so i was just reading in the Haynes repair manual i got today that they said to replace the nuts and bolts for the struts and so on, why is that ? why cant i use the old ones ?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Curious comment in Haynes, the majority of the fasteners are nothing special. The only ones I ever replaced were head bolts, flywheel bolts. There are typically torque to yield style which must be replaced. For others, clean them & use a drop of Loctite blue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It Says That As A Precaution.... Just Because The Bolts Are Worn Or Stressed.... It's Better To Replace All Of The Parts Now Than To Have It Brake Later.... MORE OR LESS FOR YOUR SAFTY.... :)

·
The Dakar Dream
870 Posts
And its a few pence so stop being a tight ar5e!! Plus I think they are locking so once u undo them the nylon thread inside is trashed :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
if you do buy the nuts and bolts go to a homed depot or lows and get grade A, dont buy any bolts from auto zone and such there grade A blows, this is out of experiance trust me :)

·
Don't ask me, I'm a sofa.
1,203 Posts
+1,000

Go ahead, hold your radiator down with cable ties, velcro your cruise control in place and keep the tail lights on with silcone.

But these are the bolts that keep you driving straight and help you stop.
NEVER skimp on their quality.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, thanks, just wanted to ask, ive never replaced any nuts or bolts on my other cars and they have worked just fine :) but maybe BMW uses some " special " nuts and bolts that needs to be replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts