BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in WA state and we have a high sales tax compared to some other states. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to purhcase a new 3 series in a different state to avoid excess sales tax or avoid it altogether? Thanks for your input.

jk

·
5,820 Posts
Jinky206 said:
I live in WA state and we have a high sales tax compared to some other states. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to purhcase a new 3 series in a different state to avoid excess sales tax or avoid it altogether? Thanks for your input.

jk
I think you'd have to pay the sales tax or auto tax or whatever in the other state. You would also need a valid home address in that state to register to. If it were that easy everyone would be doing it.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Jinky206 said:
I live in WA state and we have a high sales tax compared to some other states. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to purhcase a new 3 series in a different state to avoid excess sales tax or avoid it altogether? Thanks for your input.jk
You will not save any money on sales taxes. Best case scenario you tell the dealership that you buy the car from that you will be exporting the car and not to charge sales tax (which you will pay when you register the car in your home state). Worse case scenario you pay sales tax in the dealer's state as well as in your state when you go to register the car.

I have heard that you MIGHT be able to avoid sales tax but it is not worth the risk IMO and I don't want to be liable for you trying it and getting in trouble.

I have heard stories of people buying used cars, stating they paid less than what they did to the state to avoid sales tax, totalling the car and not getting insurance coverage for what they thought it was worth. Insurance company sees what you told the state you paid for it and that doesn't help your case at all.

If you can't afford the taxes (and fees), buy a cheaper car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts