Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not sure about 5 series, but xenon on 3 series is white (not blue like some others).

·
Registered
530 Posts
E90 BiXenon is yellowish for sure.

·
detour in Ingolstadt
3,180 Posts
e90 is 4100k or 4200k D2S philips HID and has recieved allocades for being one of the brightest OEM projector+HID setups. It is a pure white, although it has a blueish tint depending on what angle you look at it. It is by no stretch of the imagination yellow.

Most of us know that bulbs with higher 'k' ratings are bluer or purpler, but less bright on the road.

Here are some xenon facts:

"The Philips OEM D2S bulb is rated at 4100K at 12.8 volts and produces 3200 lumens of light. The Philips Ultinon D2S is 5800K at 12.8 volts and produces 2400 lumens of light. "

"Every car manufacturer in the world (including BMW and Audi) uses none other than a standard 4100K gas-discharge bulb. The reason being is that 4100K is daylight white in color and produces the same color visible light as direct sunlight. "

" White light is broken down to it's fundemental colors. Since blue lights is high energy it is absorbed last and thus travels farther. So with this prism effect, you'll notice that BMW HIDs are only purple and blue from the sides, the top, and the bottom, but are always daylight white on the road and in the beam pattern."

http://bmwplanet.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=180690&sid=b1ef1085d90c341ec50b7129ed4ac574

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
cntlaw said:
E90 BiXenon is yellowish for sure.
You are nuts.... they are white, and almost like daylight in color temp.... not sure where you are getting this from. No they are not blue like many people think they are supposed to be. The bixenon only uses the one bulb and a shield for the low beams when you use the high beams the shield is lifted for the full spread. The flasher high beams, if you pull the lever to use as a signal to oncoming traffic are halogen bulbs since it is bad for the Xenon to be turned on and off in a rapid fashion and the time for it to ignite is not as fast as a halogen, that would be the only "yellow" on the Xenon setup.:thumbup:

·
Registered
530 Posts
mapezzul said:
You are nuts.... they are white, and almost like daylight in color temp.... not sure where you are getting this from. No they are not blue like many people think they are supposed to be. The bixenon only uses the one bulb and a shield for the low beams when you use the high beams the shield is lifted for the full spread. The flasher high beams, if you pull the lever to use as a signal to oncoming traffic are halogen bulbs since it is bad for the Xenon to be turned on and off in a rapid fashion and the time for it to ignite is not as fast as a halogen, that would be the only "yellow" on the Xenon setup.:thumbup:
All BiXenons I come across are 'white', however, each has its own 'ingradients'. I dont know how they works and what bulbs they use. Both myself and my wife agree that E90 BiXenon are not as 'pure white(blueish) ' as my Benz's and personally the E90 's tends to be 'warmer' and not any whiter. Yes, it just looks 'yellowish' to me. Hope I can take a photo of it side by side with the Benz in time. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
61 Posts
ic said:
A closer shot (by me) and night shot by another member... Will it be the yellow rings make the Xenons look like yellowish when you look at the Xenons directly?
Do you have a picture of the lights shining up against a wall or something flat from about 10 feet? I want to compare the beam pattern.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think the rings could definately give a yellowish (or warm) feel to them, especially when close up. But, while driving they seem pretty white (cool) to me.

Pic I took of my car with Xenon's off and you can see how yellow the light is.
DarkFront.JPG

·
Registered
530 Posts
ic said:
A closer shot (by me) and night shot by another member... Will it be the yellow rings make the Xenons look like yellowish when you look at the Xenons directly?
I don't really look at the Bixenon directly to determine it's color, I look at them when I am driving. E90's are warmer than the Benz. The Benz's are definitely blueish, colder; and I would say, the E90's are definitely not blueish. :dunno: I am sure you can find a Benz with BiXenon to see it yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts