BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me know top 3 gripes you have about your car. Little things that annoy you on the daily or intermittently. I'm really looking hard at a 440i xDrive GC when it gets updated in 2020 for it's cargo space (want to stay away from SUVs if i can for MPG reasons). Thanks in advance!

- D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Poor rear window visibility. Especially bothers me when back-in parking. Though I understand it's a compromise due to the sloping roof in order to look good. Almost all 4-door 'coupe' have such problem.

·
just copacetic!!!
2019 230i MSptPkg
1,643 Posts
Agree with Shangri-la about the rear window visibility when backing up. Fortunately, the rear view camera helps tremendously when either parking with the back in first or backing out from a parking spot. Other than that, I don't find the smaller rear window to be a problem when driving as I have both side mirrors adjusted to compensate. No other gripes with the GC, really love the huge trunk space and how the rear hatch opens up for easy loading. With that said, I still prefer driving my 230i as my DD as its smaller size and mobility remind me of my E46. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could see how that could be an issue. It is a pretty low slanted roofline. How about issues with clearance. Do you guys ever find yourself scraping your bumpers coming in and out of driveways? or against parking cement blocks at the grocery store? I'm sensitive to this as my wife's low C250 coupe has sustained much $$$ damage over the years because unlike normal cars it can't clear normal parking dividers in lots :-\

- D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased a new 2019 440IX GC and now have 1900 miles on the clock. As mentioned by others, the rear view is a bit diminished due to the roof line. But the driver assistance package really does work well in uncovering the "blind spots" at the rear quarters. So for me it's not really a deal breaker. I have an old 160G Apple iPod classic that I leave plugged into the USB port all of the time. I've found on occasion that the iPod will discharge and lock up. I then have to disconnect the iPod and take it into the house and put it on the charger to get it to restore and function again. I would experience this on our other two vehicles as well. So it may not be a BMW specific issue. But is does happen with three different iPod classics. So I suspect it may be an Apple issue. Again this isn't a deal breaker for me either. The two things that I due miss having that were/are on the GM cars/trucks that we have/had. But not available on the BMW are remote start capabilities and air conditioned seats. The wife will only drive the Silverado in the warmer months of the year due to the air conditioned seats that were included with the LTZ package.
Although I only have limited miles on the BMW, I have to say I'm very satisfied so far.
Hope this helps you, even if only somewhat.

Thom

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
1. Limited rear window visibility as others have alluded to - though the powered hatch is well worth it in my opinion.

2. Even though I don't find myself in the back seat very often, it would be nice if those windows would go down the whole way

3. The center console area could have been designed better for more storage as is evident in the newer G2x. Electronic e-brake in lieu of mechanical, cup holder placement, etc.

As for the lower clearance, I haven't had any issues, just be mindful of where your front bumper is. I park it the same way I did my previous car which was an E60 5 series.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I had a 330e and there are a number of storm channels on streets that create a significant hump. I had the lowered sport suspension. Somehow, between those and perhaps parking cement blocks, I managed to rip my belly pan.

I have been very careful since then and my new 530e has adaptive suspension instead of the sport suspension.

Depending upon your streets, your driveway (if you have one), and the type of suspension you have, clearance might be a problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
2. Even though I don't find myself in the back seat very often, it would be nice if those windows would go down the whole way

As for the lower clearance, I haven't had any issues, just be mindful of where your front bumper is. I park it the same way I did my previous car which was an E60 5 series.
For (2) it's impossible unless you are willing to move the rear wheel axis backwards, there just isn't enough clearance in the door and you cannot lower the roof to make the window shorter. it's strange I agree... I believe they went down all the way on my VW CC.

yes, the front bumper clearance is low... I've scrapped a few times on the curb parking :mad:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Like other said I need to pay attention to front bumper too - I have M sport.

Another thing that applies to all BMW - the car only supports Apple CarPlay, but not Android Auto. At first I thought this was only a gimmick. But the more I use it the more useful I feel it is. Something to be aware of if you're an Android guy.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I recall more than one thread about the hatch closing mechanism. As I recall the hatch could not be manually closed if that mechanism stopped working. Has that changed?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For (2) it's impossible unless you are willing to move the rear wheel axis backwards, there just isn't enough clearance in the door and you cannot lower the roof to make the window shorter. it's strange I agree... I believe they went down all the way on my VW CC.

yes, the front bumper clearance is low... I've scrapped a few times on the curb parking :mad:

....damn it.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
1. I have hit my head on the hatch, probably 11,536 times in 3 years. Also the hatch works only about 8 out of 10 times.
2. Frameless windows suck when it is cold out, they are frozen and also make the car really noisy.
3. Rear seat headroom and/visibility out the back.

Also occasionally, you will look at the car and say "man this car Fugly,"

Wouldn't do it again. Go full-on raging sedan, or coupe. There is no tween.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,641 Posts
I can't imagine anyone calling the GC fugly. In my mind, its looks are its single best attribute. Every time I follow my wife when she's driving hers I am struck with what a gorgeous car it is. AFAIK the height the rear hatch opens is adjustable in iDrive, just like on the F31 wagon X3 and X5. Hitting one's head shouldn't be an issue unless you are 6' 8" tall, in which case you wouldn't fit in a GC anyway. And damaging your car driving into things isn't a car problem, it's an inattentive driver problem.

That said, there are some things I dislike:

1. The 440 is very close to the G30 in price, yet there is a HUGE difference in refinement: the interior materials, sound deadening, quality of the sound system, feel of the switches, etc. Every time I swap cars with my wife, I'm disappointed by how (relatively) cheap hers feels.
  2. Even at 5' 9", it can be a chalenge to get into the car, particularly if some bozo has parked too close and you can't get the drivers door all the way open. A motorized steering wheel would help a lot here.
  3. You can't get the superb 704 MSport suspension with xDrive. And the Adaptive Suspension pitch poles way too much on this car.
  4. It's missing a bunch of options it really should have available at this price point: rear wiper, motorized rear window sunshade, perforated ventilated seats, etc.

If the OP is buying, I'd take a serious look at a CPO 540 xDrive.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I can't imagine anyone calling the GC fugly. In my mind, its looks are its single best attribute. Every time I follow my wife when she's driving hers I am struck with what a gorgeous car it is. AFAIK the height the rear hatch opens is adjustable in iDrive, just like on the F31 wagon X3 and X5. Hitting one's head shouldn't be an issue unless you are 6' 8" tall, in which case you wouldn't fit in a GC anyway. And damaging your car driving into things isn't a car problem, it's an inattentive driver problem.

That said, there are some things I dislike:

1. The 440 is very close to the G30 in price, yet there is a HUGE difference in refinement: the interior materials, sound deadening, quality of the sound system, feel of the switches, etc. Every time I swap cars with my wife, I'm disappointed by how (relatively) cheap hers feels.
  2. Even at 5' 9", it can be a chalenge to get into the car, particularly if some bozo has parked too close and you can't get the drivers door all the way open. A motorized steering wheel would help a lot here.
  3. You can't get the superb 704 MSport suspension with xDrive. And the Adaptive Suspension pitch poles way too much on this car.
  4. It's missing a bunch of options it really should have available at this price point: rear wiper, motorized rear window sunshade, perforated ventilated seats, etc.

If the OP is buying, I'd take a serious look at a CPO 540 xDrive.
As an owner of a loaded 5 series which replaced a loaded 3 series I completely agree regarding how much more refined the 5 is. Unfortunately, there is a prejudice in BMW (and to be fair in many car companies) against offering a small car with refinement and features from the higher end.

You can code the car (or have it coded) for "easy entry". This is where the seat slides back when you turn off the engine and slides back to your set position when you get back in and restart the engine. I had mine coded this way for my 330e and it worked well. The motorized steering wheel on my 530e is adequate for me but the easy entry makes entry and exit even easier.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts