BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am considering a 2008 750Li. Test drove two of them and they both had one little problem. There is a drivetrain shudder at light throttle at around 60 mph (1500-1800rpm).
I know my sales guy is going to say that this will work itself out as the car breaks in. Problem is that I currently own a 2001 740iL and a 2006 550i. The 740 is a wonderful car, the 550.... not so much. The 550i has transmissiion issues that were supposed to go away after break in but did not. My question is has anyone else noticed this and does it go away as the car aquires some miles?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
It probably gets worse. Most people here have had tranny issues one way or another including all years. Being that that is an 08 i thought there were some people here that got new dme to resolve issue some programming some new trannys. Good luck and post pics if you buy.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
No unfortunately the 7 will probably be worse.

Its all down to the "adaptive" transmission crap where the transmission software adapts to the way you drive but the problem is people dont drive exactly the same every trip... so now you're adapting to the car which is also adapting to you and it creates more trouble.

When the settings are reset, my car drives incredibly smoothly and shifts easily but after a week it starts to hesitate and launch aggressively when starting and sometimes will even get caught up trying to pick a gear where it will rock the car back and forth, even with my foot not moving...

Its not fun, hopefully the new cars dont have this untested half-assed retarded technology that BMW just stuck on top of an already well-built and well-mannered transmission (which they buy from ZF).

·
The White Knight
648 Posts
^ is this problem specific to the 750? I know they are all (E66/65) supposed to have the same tranny but neither of my 745s exhibited this behavior?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
^ is this problem specific to the 750? I know they are all (E66/65) supposed to have the same tranny but neither of my 745s exhibited this behavior?
I dont know... all I know is that I've been lucky enough to drive lots of different cars and usually I can get the power/transmission handling down within a few hours and it stays the same.

My 750 is completely random... sometimes I'll touch the pedal and it'll gracefully pick up speed just like it should and is a joy to drive. Then today I drive the exact same way and it launches like crazy, then shifts up and lags, then shifts down and revs up again and this was within a 100 ft or so with my foot just barely on the pedal.

Its not like it always happens but unless something is changing (the software adaptions) then it should never happen. It's just annoying knowing that every time I start off I run the risk of looking like an idiot with a big car and spilling my nice tasty drink on myself :(

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be fair and not leave a negative comment out there. I had the 750Li on a short demo loan and the next day decided to put in a few gallons of fresh 93 oct gas. Made all the difference in the world to my surprise. The car was much more responsive and smooth. The tranny also seemed well behaved. The dealer has "blowout" pricing on their two remaining 2008's.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a 08 for just over a year and have not experienced this issue. I drive mostly in sport mode

·
Registered
86 Posts
To be fair and not leave a negative comment out there. I had the 750Li on a short demo loan and the next day decided to put in a few gallons of fresh 93 oct gas. Made all the difference in the world to my surprise. The car was much more responsive and smooth. The tranny also seemed well behaved. The dealer has "blowout" pricing on their two remaining 2008's.
The "blowout" pricing is almost unbelievable! Actually, one of the best car deals that I have ever made.:)

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I get the same thing. You described it well. I have learned to live with it. The alternative is to drive in sport mode. The issue is when the car is in 6th gear, kind of like over drive, and the tranny and rpm's are too low when trying to accelerate. Sport mode will limit the tranny to 5 gears, at least this is how it works on my sport model.

·
077 Secret Agent Man
532 Posts
I don't have the tranny problem with my 07 *knock on wood*, but have had the car in the shop a lot since I bought it in November for other problems. If it doesn't behave when I get it back this time, I'll say goodbye to BMW forever. I don't know why BMW doent fix this tranny problems since so may people have it. I guess because people don't complain enough and just learn to deal with it.

·
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black
1,917 Posts
The "blowout" pricing is almost unbelievable! Actually, one of the best car deals that I have ever made.:)
More details needed on "blowout pricing"... $20K off? or more? I know that there were some deals on the 2009 F01's of like $10K off

1 - 14 of 14 Posts