BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here currently club race? How did you go about getting started? Did you stick to regular DE's or throw in some race schools too? A buddy of mine recently asked me to co-drive with him during the enduros. I haven't done any race schools but based on the CCA racing website I can apply for my racing license as long as I have a minimum of 8 schools. I don't expect to be competitive at first but I'm in the process of applying and am curious how common this approach is Thanks.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Chris330Ci said:
Does anyone here currently club race? How did you go about getting started? Did you stick to regular DE's or throw in some race schools too? A buddy of mine recently asked me to co-drive with him during the enduros. I haven't done any race schools but based on the CCA racing website I can apply for my racing license as long as I have a minimum of 8 schools. I don't expect to be competitive at first but I'm in the process of applying and am curious how common this approach is Thanks.
I think for BMW CCA, at least out here, you do a bunch of DEs (it helps if you work your way up to also do instructing) so you get accepted to a BMW CCA race school. You submit your application and based on all of those things (reputation in DEs/instructor and performance at the race school), the committee approves (or not) the application.

SergioK just went through the process last year.

·
Donkeybike?
3,680 Posts
Going from driving schools to a race is a big step (at least out here in California it is). What level are you at right now? How comfortable are you with very very late passing? Traffic inches off your bumper?

You should most definitely take a couple of race schools beforehand. It's an eye opener. One thing for sure, once you do a race school and learn two/three wide through turns, your perspective of track driving changes dramatically.

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SergioK said:
Going from driving schools to a race is a big step (at least out here in California it is). What level are you at right now? How comfortable are you with very very late passing? Traffic inches off your bumper?

You should most definitely take a couple of race schools beforehand. It's an eye opener. One thing for sure, once you do a race school and learn two/three wide through turns, your perspective of track driving changes dramatically.
I'm driving in A group at the CCA DE"s. I'd say I'm comfortable with late passing and being in traffic but I've never done it so what do I really know? I've been racing karts alot lately but not sure what aspects would transfer over to cars. I missed the race school my chapter puts on last year but am thinking about doing a Skip Barber type deal sometime soon.

·
Donkeybike?
3,680 Posts
What kind of kart racing are you doing? Is it sanctioned or just get together with friends at the local karting track.

If you've been actually racing at sanctioned karting events with any degree of success, then you may be able to easily get into racing 3000lbs cars as well. Make sure you get a good mentor to show you the ropes. I think after last year's incident at Sear Point all rookies are required to meet with their mentors before their first few races. You definitely don't want to have the red midst cloud your judgement on your first race like what happened last year.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Bruce said:
Race schools are nice to complete before doing the real deal but are NOT required.
Depends on what group you're club racing with. With BMW CCA out here, I believe it is a requirement. Either way, whether it's required or not, I personally believe it SHOULD be required. I've instructred at several race schools and there are always students who think they've got it all together and seem at first to look like they think they're waisting their time there. They're the one's who either A) scare everyone else due to their incredible lack of driving ability, B) turn their attitude around quickly and realize there is still much to learn.

The idea of most people going straight from a high-performance driving school environment into a race where they're passing for position... Well, that scares the bejeezus out of me. ;)

·
Donkeybike?
3,680 Posts
Interlocker said:
The idea of most people going straight from a high-performance driving school environment into a race where they're passing for position... Well, that scares the bejeezus out of me. ;)
Having never been two/three wide through a turn, then experiencing this for the first time at, what seems like warp speed, will hopefully scare the bejeezus out of that type of student as well. :p

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think what I will wind up doing is continue to apply for the license but do at least one race school before trying any actual competition. The last thing I want to do is crack up HIS car.

I've been racing karts with local league guys and other CCA members. The league guys are some of the quickest around but it's not like I'm doing it every week.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/static/Primer/getstarted.htm

from licensing rules found here http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/_forms/licensing_Policy.pdf :

4. QUALIFICATION ***8211; There are three methods to obtain a BMW CCA Club Racing license:
A. Via an existing competition license from a recognized road racing sanctioning
organization, including SCCA, PCA, POC and any vintage group which is a member
of the Vintage Motorsport Council. The applicant must disclose all licenses and their
current status as well as any current disciplinary action including penalties, probation
or suspension. Each applicant is subject to a review and verification of licenses and
inquiries concerning the applicant***8217;s driving history and experience, OR
B. Through documentation of participation in BMW CCA and/or other recognized driving
school programs, OR
C. Attendance and successful completion of a BMW CCA Club Racing School (see
paragraph 6).
5. Applicants with a recognized and current existing competition license in good standing and
who successfully complete the experience review and verification process may be granted a
BMW CCA Club Racing Provisional License. This will be in effect for two Club Race events.
Performance will be carefully monitored at these events, and if satisfactory, the license
status will be upgraded to Competition.
6. For applicants without an existing competition license, the applicant must present
documentation verifying cumulative experience of a minimum of eight (8) days of race track
driving and/or training within the previous twenty-four (24) months within or more of the
categories listed below.
A. BMW CCA Driver***8217;s School events or equivalent events (e.g., TrackTime, Car Guys,
PCA, etc). Equivalency will be evaluated in terms of number of sessions with in-car
and classroom instruction. Dates, locations, organizing Chapter/program, Chief
Instructor, Run Group data, and instruction status (e.g., signed off by instructor after
the first two sessions) data shall be provided. Applicants must have achieved
advanced run group status. Irrespective of driver***8217;s school experience, it is highly
recommended that every license candidate complete a racing school described in
paragraphs B. and C. below.
The applicant shall provide signed certification from his Chapter***8217;s Chief Instructor (or
equivalent). The certification will describe:
a. The applicant***8217;s ability with regard to basic high speed driving skills, and
b. Describe the applicant***8217;s ability to drive without an instructor in advanced run
groups; and
c. Information on the applicant***8217;s courtesy and situational awareness while on
the track.
B. Successful completion of selected national/regional professional programs (e.g., Skip
Barber, Bondurant, Derek Daly Academy, etc.). A list of approved programs is
available from the Club Racing Registrar.
C. Successful completion of a sanctioned BMW CCA Club Racing School. BMW CCA
Club Racing typically offers several of these schools annually. The national Club
Racing website has information on the schools and their scheduled dates and
locations.
7. All applicants are subject to a thorough review and verification of their experience including
a check of all references and other available sources not necessarily provided by the
applicant. Based on this review, applicants may be required to obtain additional experience
beyond minimum requirements listed above, Club Racing administration may require Rookie
licensees to complete their first race at a track at which they have had prior driving
experience. BMW CCA Club Racing is the sole and final determinant of the suitability of an
applicant***8217;s experience.
8. With these requirements fulfilled the applicant may be granted a BMW CCA Club Racing
Rookie License. This license will be in effect for two (2) Club Racing events (including the
event of the school). Each rookie will be required to display rookie identification on the rear
deck lid or bumper, and their performance will be monitored closely by BMW CCA Club
Racing. After successfully competing in two events, the license status will be upgraded to
Competition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts