BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, last Friday, I was in a bad accident and it looks like my car will be a total loss.

2 months ago, I bought the 2yr/50kmi extension for both maintenance and warranty. The car has passed the 50kmi (52kmi) and there is a nice clause in the contract that says refunds are only granted if you are within the original warranty and maintenance.
So the question to the dealers is: is there any hope to get some kind of refund, prorated, on these 2 contracts?

Thanks

·
Here for life!!!
567 Posts
I don't have an answer, but sorry to hear about the accident. I hope you and everyone else involved were alright, and you receive a positive resolution to your question.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am not a dealer but why would you expect a refund? You are outside the 4yr/50k milege. They woudln't even let you buy an extension now with 52k because you are outside original 4yr/50k.

·
Vendor
7,262 Posts
If there is one thing, I don't believe BMW offers pro-rated refunds on 2OP or maintenance extensions.

If you read the fine print and that's what is says, well, it sounds like there's no refund. :(

Sorry to hear about your accident, the total loss, and we're just glad you're alive and well to tell us about it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks to all.

To the question: why would I expect a pro-rated refund? Well, look at it this way, you shell $3600 for 2 years / 50kmi warranty and maintenance and after 2 mo and 2kmi, your car is totalled. No claims, no maintenance, nothing. How would you feel about it? Without counting the fact that, if you sell your car, it increases its value, if it is totalled, the insurance does not take that into account in your payment.

Adrian: I guess we are looking at the same "exclusions" clauses, however, I would expect BMWUSA to see how much damage not refunding this can do to clients relations.

As to the accident: the car performed flawlessly given the circumstances. The handling of the ZHP allowed me to steer some to the right and to hit the ladies front passenger side fender rather than T-bone her. Between the better angle and the fact she spun rather than be pushed over a distance, the handling did a lot of good. Also, ever safety device worked as advertised: pre-tensioner (yeah, I am bruised, but man is this device doing a lot of good), airbags (front, window and side for the driver), ABS, DSC, hazards and interior lights after the accident.

All in all, I am thankfull that both the young co-ed and I are both alive and well. The insurance look like they are taking care of moving the case along nicely and efficiently.

The better question now is, what am I going to drive? Suggestions? I mean, after a ZHP, what car will provide the same driving satisfaction?

Last note: I have attached 2 pics of the car. Do you guys think a little Zaino would help with the major swirl marks on the front?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
To the question: why would I expect a pro-rated refund? Well, look at it this way, you shell $3600 for 2 years / 50kmi warranty and maintenance and after 2 mo and 2kmi, your car is totalled. No claims, no maintenance, nothing. How would you feel about it? Without counting the fact that, if you sell your car, it increases its value, if it is totalled, the insurance does not take that into account in your payment.
I expect they calculate rates based on historical data. It just sucks when the data is "you". Its the same for many things - even as mundane as garbage removal.

Did you try your credit card company?

·
Mace
817 Posts
Last note: I have attached 2 pics of the car. Do you guys think a little Zaino would help with the major swirl marks on the front?
Yeah, that'll buff right out!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
.... Also, ever safety device worked as advertised: pre-tensioner (yeah, I am bruised, but man is this device doing a lot of good), airbags (front, window and side for the driver), ABS, DSC, hazards and interior lights after the accident.

...?

Two comments, neither relating to your original query:
  1. From the looks of things in the photos, the major safety feature was the progressive damage in the front having been isolated from the passenger compartment. The "crumple zones" really did work.
  2. And, it is great you have some of your sense of humor left after such a traumatic experience. We're all glad that your physical injuries were limited to the bruising.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
Write a letter to the top cheese. It will help if you buy another bimmer.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Honda issued me a refund

I had an 03 Honda Pilot and I paid $1000 to extend the warranty to 7 yrs/100K - In August of 2007 I sold it with 70K on the odometer. Honda refunded $370 to me. needless to say, their price for the extended warranty is much less than BMW. The vehicle had been serviced by the dealer and they knew the mileage. I was buying a new Pilot at the time and I had gotten an offer from Carmax that the Honda dealer matched. The refund came from Honda USA not the dealer and was specifically designated as a prorated refund of the extended warranty. Maybe this is why Honda has so many loyal customers. it seems to me that BMW should not have a windfall of the amount of the unused extended warranty.

·
&amp;quot;Clunker&amp;quot; *****
4,684 Posts
Thanks to all.

Adrian: I guess we are looking at the same "exclusions" clauses, however, I would expect BMWUSA to see how much damage not refunding this can do to clients relations.

As to the accident: the car performed flawlessly given the circumstances. The handling of the ZHP allowed me to steer some to the right and to hit the ladies front passenger side fender rather than T-bone her. Between the better angle and the fact she spun rather than be pushed over a distance, the handling did a lot of good. Also, ever safety device worked as advertised: pre-tensioner (yeah, I am bruised, but man is this device doing a lot of good), airbags (front, window and side for the driver), ABS, DSC, hazards and interior lights after the accident.

All in all, I am thankfull that both the young co-ed and I are both alive and well. The insurance look like they are taking care of moving the case along nicely and efficiently.

The better question now is, what am I going to drive? Suggestions? I mean, after a ZHP, what car will provide the same driving satisfaction?

Pretty impressive tow truck. Nuthin but the best for a Bimmer, eh?

·
Who, me?
2,733 Posts
Thanks to all.

Without counting the fact that, if you sell your car, it increases its value, if it is totalled, the insurance does not take that into account in your payment.

When your insurance company values your car, they have to give replacement value, including tax... Make sure the value they assign would buy you a CPO unit.. If not, then challenge it... At least that way, you get the same warranty (or the value of it).. As far as the maintenance plan, you are probably out of luck there...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pretty impressive tow truck. Nuthin but the best for a Bimmer, eh?
Well, they in fact had to use 3 tow trucks to get my car. Since I was on the side of the road in the grass/mud and that the front driver wheel was broken of the axle, they had to lift the front with one light truck while another was pulling, and then they had to bring the car on a flatbed. The extraction and towing probably ended up costing a large or so!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When your insurance company values your car, they have to give replacement value, including tax... Make sure the value they assign would buy you a CPO unit.. If not, then challenge it... At least that way, you get the same warranty (or the value of it).. As far as the maintenance plan, you are probably out of luck there...
Good point, I will do this. I am told State Farm gives KBB retail, so maybe I can get KBB retail +$2k for CPO.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
When you are buying the next car talk to BMW about it and see if they will transfer it over to the new car. That will not cost them anything and will earn goodwill and allow them to sell another car. Win-Win. Cash out of pocket is not something they will do.

You might want to contact someone in customer service at BMW USA; writing a letter might also help. The dealer is unlikely to care much.

And good to know that everything worked and you are safe.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It you still had factory waranty, would you expect a refund on the unused portion of that?
No, but the original warranty is not an insurance contract. It is a warranty against defects. The OOPP is an insurance contract against failure not caused by misuse. Last time I checked, when you sell or total a car, your insurance reimburses you the unused portion of your 6-mo or 1-yr insurance payment. That is what's called unearned money. That is why I was asking the question.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When you are buying the next car talk to BMW about it and see if they will transfer it over to the new car. That will not cost them anything and will earn goodwill and allow them to sell another car. Win-Win. Cash out of pocket is not something they will do.

You might want to contact someone in customer service at BMW USA; writing a letter might also help. The dealer is unlikely to care much.

And good to know that everything worked and you are safe.
I actually had a third-party warranty offer me a warranty transfer just like BayArea explained with a $30.00 administration fee.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,961 Posts
Thanks to all.

To the question: why would I expect a pro-rated refund? Well, look at it this way, you shell $3600 for 2 years / 50kmi warranty and maintenance and after 2 mo and 2kmi, your car is totaled. No claims, no maintenance, nothing. How would you feel about it? Without counting the fact that, if you sell your car, it increases its value, if it is totaled, the insurance does not take that into account in your payment.
Good point, I will do this. I am told State Farm gives KBB retail, so maybe I can get KBB retail +$2k for CPO.
It you still had factory waranty, would you expect a refund on the unused portion of that?
No, but the original warranty is not an insurance contract. It is a warranty against defects. The OOPP is an insurance contract against failure not caused by misuse. Last time I checked, when you sell or total a car, your insurance reimburses you the unused portion of your 6-mo or 1-yr insurance payment. That is what's called unearned money. That is why I was asking the question.
Congrats on your new car. I came looking for this thread to check out what happened in the wreck.

So, how did the insurance work out? I hope you got added value paid due to having the warranty and maintenance plan, because they absolutely do add value to the car and you are, in fact, due payment for that value. The insurance company's requirement is to "make you whole" and that includes paying for the added value these two items provide. Kyfdx is correct, they should have paid you the retail value of a CPO unit in like condition to your car, but they also should have paid you for the extra value the extended maintenance plan provided.

Anyway, glad all is getting worked out for you now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
call your dealer's finance department

My 2005 330i was totalled when it was 18 mos. old. It was still under the factory warranty. I had purchased the extended warranty and maintenance. I contacted the finance department at the dealer, and after submitting some documentation, they refunded both. Can't guarantee, since my BMW was still under original warranty, but suggest you start with them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts