Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I'm owner of 40E 2017 and I have Goodyear run flat 255/50/19 tire on my car
I try to understand why people want to increase to 20 or 21 wheels size.
Except it will be less gap between the tire and subjective may be better look.

What I see there is couple of disadvantages only.
Tires changes become more expensive
19 original cost 864 on TireRack
20 original cost 1316
I didn't check the 21
Not many options of tires become available
You cannot rotate the wheels because rear tires wider than front.
Ride become more hardest because tire has less air caution.
Biggest wheels has bigger weight which will increase car weight and increase load on transmission and consumption of gas.

Just want to know your appinions.
Thank you

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,498 Posts
***8220;20 or 21***8221; is not tire size but wheel size, and, yes, it is entirely subjective. Some of your disadvantages are nonsensical.

·
Bimmerless
1,053 Posts
Increasing the wheel size does not change the gap between the tire and the wheel arch. You pair larger wheels with tires that have a smaller sidewall height, so the overall outer diameter of the tire is the same.

The biggest advantage of the bigger wheels is cosmetics. If the difference in looks is not important to you, just stick with your 19's.

Speaking as someone who had an X5 with the 19's and now has 20's, I would NEVER consider going back to 19's. The aesthetic improvement is night and day different, and I will gladly accept the downsides for that improvement.

·
Registered
82 Posts
@rawskyb, any chance you still have the 19s?

Recently bought a '17 dealer stock and all they had was 20s... Really wasn't interested but to make the deal I took it.

Would love to swap for some 19s. I think it looks better and the skinner tires better for our driving style.

·
Bimmerless
1,053 Posts
@rawskyb, any chance you still have the 19s?

Recently bought a '17 dealer stock and all they had was 20s... Really wasn't interested but to make the deal I took it.

Would love to swap for some 19s. I think it looks better and the skinner tires better for our driving style.
Sorry, no - the 19's were on my 2014 X5 and the 20's are on my 2017.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Speaking as someone who had an X5 with the 19's and now has 20's, I would NEVER consider going back to 19's. The aesthetic improvement is night and day different, and I will gladly accept the downsides for that improvement.
THIS.

19s look like donuts. And nobody says “hey that car is driving on a donut and it looks sooooo good”.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
733 Posts
...why (do) people want to increase to 20 or 21...
Try this easy experiment in your kitchen: Get yourself a couple of simple #2 pencils: one brand new, and one with its eraser worn down by about 4mm. Hold the nice new pencil-top eraser to your countertop, pink eraser down. Hold it firmly. Give it a little wiggle. Now take the other pencil with the stubby little eraser. Give it the same wiggle.

Feel the difference? That difference is the slop in your steering. The faster you drive straight, or the harder you corner, the more it matters.

IIRC, the F15 was offered (or allowed) worldwide shod in OEM rims from 18" to 22". In the US, 19" to 21" are our mainstream options. I think South Africa even had 17's, but maybe I have that wrong.

Like everything else for vehicles, there are trade-offs. Those are well discussed in threads about snow tires. But, briefly: more rubber sidewall means less chance of pothole damage. Less rubber means better feel and tracking. More rubber historically meant less bone-rattling, too, but RFTs have changed the calculus a bit.

And then there are aesthetics, which are entirely subjective. The conceit is that lower profile rubber looks "better." IMHO, I believe it's merely evocative of "performance" in the SoCal Fast and Fuious racer scene, and thus is "better." Out in the boondocks, lifted vehicles with oversized tires are evocative of "performance," as are diesel vertical stacks. But if you think 22s look better, you will certainly have a lot of company. At a minimum, you'll see more shiny rim and less dull rubber.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
IMO, larger wheels, to a point, always look better. I've seen base model cars with smaller wheels and came to the conclusion that it was not a good looking car. Then I saw a higher equipped model with larger stock wheels, it completely changed my perception of that car.

One example is the Model S

The larger wheels make it look more sporty and brings out the lines of the car

·
Registered
733 Posts
Just compare a Hennessy Velociraptor against your garden-variety Ford F-150. Over in Fordland, they think more rubber is best. Different strokes indeed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts