BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I following this all correctly?

Since losing the Castrol suit, is the new Mobil 1 SuperSyn not really a full synthetic? Should I be on the lookout for the older Tri-Synthetic formula?

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I've yet to see any indication that the SuperSyn has been 'detuned' to be on equal-but-lower footing with Castrol.

Whatever SuperSyn consists of, it appears to be something that was added to the existing Tri-Synthetic formula (which I still have 12 qts of).

I also believe some of the grades were re-certified for newer API, ACEA, and OEM specs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Razzmatazz said:
Why don't you start using AMSOIL 0-30 Synthetic or AMSOIL 5-30 diesel grade Synthetic.

:mad: Razzmatazz
Why?

I have considered it, but, as I see it, the only real benefit from AMSOIL is that, due to it's superior qualities, you do not have to change it as often. And you pay multiples in order to be able to go for these longer intervals.

Personally, I do not mind changing my oil. In fact I enjoy having an excuse to work on the car. So I'd rather run the less expensive Mobil 1 products and just change them every 5K miles or so.

I do not question the superiority of AMSOIL. I merely question whether it would provide any benefit to me.

I would like someone (you?) to explain to me why AMSOIL would be worth the additional cost short of allowing for a longer change interval, which holds limited appeal to me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kaz said:
I've yet to see any indication that the SuperSyn has been 'detuned' to be on equal-but-lower footing with Castrol.

Whatever SuperSyn consists of, it appears to be something that was added to the existing Tri-Synthetic formula (which I still have 12 qts of).

I also believe some of the grades were re-certified for newer API, ACEA, and OEM specs.
I was wondering if I should be on the lookout for left-over Tri-Syn? And can you see any problems mixing Tri-Syn with Super-Syn of the same grade/viscosity?

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
TD said:

I was wondering if I should be on the lookout for left-over Tri-Syn? And can you see any problems mixing Tri-Syn with Super-Syn of the same grade/viscosity?
Mobil doesn't give any indication that they're different enough that they shouldn't be mixed or anything. The only thing I can think of is that if the changes to the formula are what brought it into compliance with the updated specs (which I doubt; the old stuff was probably just never tested for the new specs), mixing the two may no longer make the mix meet API SL (vs SJ for Try-Syn) or ACEA A5/B5/B4-02 (depending on grade).

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
re: Amsoil

I've thought about switching to a more expensive oil myself, but for the time being I think I'll stick to good 'ol Mobil1. The products I've been specifically interested in are the ester-based (Group V) products, which include RedLine, certain lines of European Castrol and the brand I'm particularly interested in, Motul (this in comparison to PAO (Group IV) stuff like original Syntec, M1, newer Amsoil (old Amsoil was Group III which I believe is what current Syntec is)).

However, my more recent 'research' seems to show that for the same reason TD cites (not lengthening change intervals), the advantages of ester-based products over PAOs don't seem to be worth the increased costs and PITA to find the stuff.

·
Banned
214 Posts
I use what works. I'm not impaired by the cost. I change oil in the bimmers every 8000 miles filters at 4000. My other cars 25 thousand or once a year, if i remember. All my engines are better for it. Except for the bimmers. All are over 170,000 miles old.

If you can afford the blue and white label. You can afford good oil. Redline, Amsoil, Mobil 1. I never like Castrol cause of the name. Sounds like a good move.

It amazes me all the time all the folks who put rotten gas in their cars, lousy oil, and scrimp and save on the dumb stuff, yet can afford to buy the most expensive bimmer out there lb for lb. The 3 series.

:mad: razzmatazz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Razzmatazz said:
I use what works. I'm not impaired by the cost. I change oil in the bimmers every 8000 miles filters at 4000. My other cars 25 thousand or once a year, if i remember. All my engines are better for it. Except for the bimmers. All are over 170,000 miles old.

If you can afford the blue and white label. You can afford good oil. Redline, Amsoil, Mobil 1. I never like Castrol cause of the name. Sounds like a good move.

It amazes me all the time all the folks who put rotten gas in their cars, lousy oil, and scrimp and save on the dumb stuff, yet can afford to buy the most expensive bimmer out there lb for lb. The 3 series.

:mad: razzmatazz
Well, to me, it sounds like we agree.

·
Registered
57 Posts
AMSOIL Advantages

TD said:
Why?

I have considered it, but, as I see it, the only real benefit from AMSOIL is that, due to it's superior qualities, you do not have to change it as often. And you pay multiples in order to be able to go for these longer intervals.

Personally, I do not mind changing my oil. In fact I enjoy having an excuse to work on the car. So I'd rather run the less expensive Mobil 1 products and just change them every 5K miles or so.

I do not question the superiority of AMSOIL. I merely question whether it would provide any benefit to me.

I would like someone (you?) to explain to me why AMSOIL would be worth the additional cost short of allowing for a longer change interval, which holds limited appeal to me.
How about less wear on your engine??? How about improved mileage??? I used to get 19 MPG using BMW high performance oil, By switching to AMSOIL Series 2000 I now get 21 MPG in the city with the a/c on all the time. If I don't use the a/c, I get close to 23 MPG in the city. It's important to note that my BMW has an EPA rating of 19 MPG city, just by switching to AMSOIL I have improved mileage by 2 to 2 miles per gallon with no other modifications to the car.
Independent lab testing have shown AMSOIL to be superior to other synthetics oils in the market.
Check this www.amsoil.com/performancetests and see for your yourself

A. Castro
Independent AMSOIL dealer

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Funny thing is, according to a friend in the peroleum business, in many ways Type III synthetics can be tailored to be better motor oils than Type IV oils. :)

Bottom line, go with a quality manufacturer and the oil will be better than needed for you use.

PTG runs Castrol Syntec 5W-50 in their race cars. ANd they ran last years engines the entire season without rebuild. I have run some engines a LOT of miles on Mobil 1. Lots of people swear by Redline.

For a car under warranty, do understand that BMW specs that oils must meet ACEA A3.B3 requirements. NO over the counter xW-30 oil, excpet BMW 5W-30 meets those standards. Most full synthetic (actually every single one I have checked that does test to ACEA standards) xW-40 or higher oils DO meet that standard.

Redline does NOT test to ACEA standards.

Using an oil that does not meet ACEA A3/B3 standards could allow BMW to deny warranty on oil lubricated engine parts.

But other than that conern, I would not hesitate to use BMW, Mobil 1, Castrol, Redline, Amsoil, Valvoline, etc oils in any of my cars.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
lancelot1959 said:
How about less wear on your engine??? How about improved mileage??? I used to get 19 MPG using BMW high performance oil, By switching to AMSOIL Series 2000 I now get 21 MPG in the city with the a/c on all the time. If I don't use the a/c, I get close to 23 MPG in the city. It's important to note that my BMW has an EPA rating of 19 MPG city, just by switching to AMSOIL I have improved mileage by 2 to 2 miles per gallon with no other modifications to the car.
Independent lab testing have shown AMSOIL to be superior to other synthetics oils in the market.
Check this www.amsoil.com/performancetests and see for your yourself

A. Castro
Independent AMSOIL dealer
Sorry dealer "endorsements" don't do it for me.

I have seen other synthetic oils produce the same mileage increase. Partly you would have to look at actual viscosities under operating temperatures. Granted, in today's world 1 - 2 MPG increase is nice.

Amsoil does increase their starting TBN to increse the life by increasing the capacity of the acid buffering capabilities.

As for the other claims, sorry, they don't wash with me. Especially for the price.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pinecone said:
Sorry dealer "endorsements" don't do it for me.

I have seen other synthetic oils produce the same mileage increase. Partly you would have to look at actual viscosities under operating temperatures. Granted, in today's world 1 - 2 MPG increase is nice.

Amsoil does increase their starting TBN to increse the life by increasing the capacity of the acid buffering capabilities.

As for the other claims, sorry, they don't wash with me. Especially for the price.
Since when does actual "real world experience" qualifies as a dealer endorsement??
After researching the specs of other oils, I concluded that AMSOIL is the best synthetic oil you ca buy, I became a dealer because 1) I believe in the product, 2)I can get it cheaper by being a dealer.
One word on the performance tests, They were performed by an indendepent lab using standard criteria to measure an oil's performance. They couldn't print it if it wasn't true.

·
Banned
9,901 Posts
Good grief! I wish I had a clue what you all are talking about. I feel like a real ignoramus on this one.

I just put BMW oil in my car. :dunno:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts