BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in love with the BMW Z3 since the first time I saw one. I finally talked the wife into letting me get one last fall, her only requirement was it had to be a roadster. I personally liked the Coupe better but that wasn't an option. Now that I have my 2000 M roadster and have joined the BMW CCA, I want to go to some driver ed events. However the 2 tracks near me where they are held, VIR and Summit Point, strictly forbid roadsters. Even with SCCA approved rollbars.

So, any suggestion about getting the most out of my roadster? I went and observed a BMW CCA autocross event but it didn't seem like there was any instruction going on. It was obvious that there were beginners by the way they were stopping and looking around. But it seemed like they just turned you loose.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just had a two day HPDE at VIR on July 3 and 4 with Chin Motorsports. Do a Google search for Chin and look at their schedule. They allow convertibles in their HPDE's. If you look for an SCCA autocros, you'll find one that does have instruction for novices. Again, check out SCCA.com and search for your local area for a group. There are helpful people out there.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hopefully someone knowledgeable is out there (it is not I !!) but I have seen photo's of roadsters running events with the removeable hardtop in place, causing me to wonder if that hard top could be a way around the restriction you mention.

·
Learning to drive...
631 Posts
PCA allows roadsters around here on the track.

Florian

·
Registered
111 Posts
At the BMW CCA AutoXes here in SoCal, there is lots and LOTS of instruction for the asking. Perhaps you weren't seeing what you think you were seeing...

-Warr

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
buZZword said:
I just had a two day HPDE at VIR on July 3 and 4 with Chin Motorsports. Do a Google search for Chin and look at their schedule. They allow convertibles in their HPDE's. If you look for an SCCA autocros, you'll find one that does have instruction for novices. Again, check out SCCA.com and search for your local area for a group. There are helpful people out there.
I went to the SCCA website and there is a Novice course coming up in Frederick Md, thats about an hour away. Thanks for your help.

The following is from BMW CCA Summit Point webpage. I thought I read the same for VIR but I haven't found it again yet. Maybe its just BMW CCA that wont allow convertibles.

Convertibles***151;Due to safety considerations, we
no longer admit convertibles to our schools,
whether or not they have roll bars. Our instructors
are still allowed to drive convertibles with roll
bars, but they may not take passengers for rides.
http://www.nccbmwcca.org/download.php?033dc656c32fbe7788948011c7fb769f

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wernst said:
At the BMW CCA AutoXes here in SoCal, there is lots and LOTS of instruction for the asking. Perhaps you weren't seeing what you think you were seeing...

-Warr
You could be right. I will take a Novice course and ask more questions.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
YOu can do Friday at the Track events at Summit Point in your Z3. Check the dates avaialble at www.bsr-inc.com

I will be instructing on Nov 17 (other commitments keep me away until then) but may have two people lined up, otherwise I will ride/instruct in your car.

But sign up early as the dates fill up quickly. I think they are all filled up through Oct, but I have heard they are thinking of putting on a second date in Sept.

Also some people have been running Miata Club events, hard for them to not allow convertibles. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts