BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Turbo Addict
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - Thanks to many of the positive comments here I've decided to go the route of an oil extractor for my oil changes as my car comes out of warranty. I notice that as part of the Oil Filter kit there is a copper (?) washer that others have mentioned should be replaced at the drain plug.

My question is whether that replacement needs to be done periodically because of deterioration or whether it only needs to be replaced if the drain plug is removed? In other words, should I pop off the drain plug and replace that washer every couple of oil changes? Thoughts/experience are much appreciated.

THANKS!

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
The copper washer is a crush washer. It helps seal the drainplug from leaking. If you remove the drainplug, to do an oilchange, the sealing ability of the crush washer is lessened. That's why the oil change kit gives you a nice shiny one.

So, if you use a extractor how often do you need to replace the crush washer since you are not "pulling the plug"?

I'd do it once a year. Heat (from the oil), dirt, and vibration will eventually cause a leak.

My .02,
Haus

·
Turbo Addict
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's about what I figured.

That's about what I figured. I was looking at doing it every two oil changes, or about every 15k miles (per BMW recommendation on oil change intervals). We'll see how that goes.

Thanks!

·
10,856 Posts
Re: Used motor oil is toxic!!

cwpa said:
Contains cancer-causing chemicals, more of them the older the oil is. Wear rubber gloves and be careful with disposal of the waste oil.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. :p It's not like he's going to bathe in it, or anything. IMHO, the annoyance with changing your oil is that you have to take it somewhere to get rid of it. Serious downer for me. :p

·
Turbo Addict
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Disposal is a pain, but...

Agreed that disposal is probably the biggest pain with changing the oil on my own, but now that the car is leaving its warranty period I don't get loaner cars anymore. Bringing it to the dealer would be a bigger hassle.

Of course, I just hope it's not at the dealer for something else anyway every 7500 miles. :)

·
Lead Foot
442 Posts
Oil Extractor

Rich,
Where are you going to purchase an extractor? Griot chages $65.00 plus S & H. Has any one found am equal unit at a more attractive price? A friend of mine, a 540 guy has one for his boat he paid $165.00. This same guy performed the test I wanted to hear. He used the sucker, and than pulled the plug. Only a few drops came out. Nice, huh.

When it comes to oil I have been told by more than one engineer not to change brands. Stick with BMW, Castrol, Mobile 1 etc. So this means if your dealer will change your oil free, stick with BMW or Castrol oil eh?

My 2 cents.

·
Turbo Addict
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Griot's, most likely

I was planning to go with Griots. I found it for a couple of bucks cheaper from a couple of boating supply places, but I figure I'll take advantage of Griot's customer service. Haven't been able to find an equivalent for less than $60. I won't be buying for a few days so let me know if you locate it cheaper. I'll do the same.

Thanks!

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I should put up a 'Griots Alternative' website or something. Aside from the carcare stuff, I've found a lot of the stuff he carries at different places, usually for a lot less.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Re: Griot's, most likely

RichNY said:
I was planning to go with Griots. I found it for a couple of bucks cheaper from a couple of boating supply places, but I figure I'll take advantage of Griot's customer service. Haven't been able to find an equivalent for less than $60. I won't be buying for a few days so let me know if you locate it cheaper. I'll do the same.

Thanks!
I got mine from Griots for the simple fact that they have a life time warranty. Will I need it? Dunno? Is $20 a cheap price to pay if the thing cracks or leaks, sure.

Here's the details on my experience with it:
www.webs4racers.com/bmw/oil

Highly recommend it!:thumbup:

·
Turbo Addict
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the link!

Thanks for the link, Chipster! I had caught your write-up before and it's actually what got me started thinking about the whole thing.

The warranty consideration is a good point. Must be a well-built product if they're willing to offer the lifetime warranty on it. I'll sleep on it and place my order on Monday. :dunno:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts