BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Oscar
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On your bluetooth kit do you have to speakup for people to hear you on your bluetooth? Sometimes I find myself speaking real loudly for people to hear me on my bluetooth, is it possible I need to get the system coded anyways? I installed my bluetooth and everything works great, I can hear just fine, it just seems that I have to speakup. When I was in a e90 you could just whisper and people could hear you.

Anyone having the same issues?

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Oscswa said:
On your bluetooth kit do you have to speakup for people to hear you on your bluetooth? Sometimes I find myself speaking real loudly for people to hear me on my bluetooth, is it possible I need to get the system coded anyways? I installed my bluetooth and everything works great, I can hear just fine, it just seems that I have to speakup. When I was in a e90 you could just whisper and people could hear you.

Anyone having the same issues?
If your E39 microphone is the same or similar to the microphone in my E46, it's directional and has an arrow indicating which way to install it. My arrow points to the front of the car. Does yours?

I can speak fairly softly and be heard quite clearly - I checked that by leaving myself a voicemail shortly after I installed the kit.

·
Oscar
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the arrow and it's pointed the right direction, towards the front of the car. Good suggestion on the voicemail. I will try that.

I found this on BimmerNav

Order Here BMW "Upgraded" Microphone Part Number 84 31 6 938 762 $55 USD

Order Here BMW "Standard" Microphone Part Number 84 31 8 380 319 $35 USD

The Standard Mic, was the original mic installed in BMWs from 2000 until 2004. The Upgraded Mic is a newer noise canceling directional microphone that was put in new BMWs starting in late 2004. Most people prefer the Upgraded mic, although some are happy with the standard version.

I bet I just need the new mic, but can anyone confirm that they can speak fairly softly with the starndard mic. Standard mic is all black and the upgraded one has some blue on it.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
FWIW, I have the new microphone in my car. The E39 could be different from the E46, but I believe that no mike was installed in the E46s unless the buyer opted for the CPT9000 hands free phone option (which I did not opt for).

·
Oscar
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cliff3 said:
FWIW, I have the new microphone in my car. The E39 could be different from the E46, but I believe that no mike was installed in the E46s unless the buyer opted for the CPT9000 hands free phone option (which I did not opt for).
I am sure the e39 did not come with a mic, mine came with a cpt8000 phone so I had all the parts but the ulf module. I just found out that I have the 1st gen module, I am not sure if this is an issue, but it works great with my v3 razor phone. I just the first thing to do is find someone in the area with a newer mic like yours and test it.

I still wonder if anyone is having the same issue.

·
european auto source
5,879 Posts
Oscswa said:
I am sure the e39 did not come with a mic, mine came with a cpt8000 phone so I had all the parts but the ulf module. I just found out that I have the 1st gen module, I am not sure if this is an issue, but it works great with my v3 razor phone. I just the first thing to do is find someone in the area with a newer mic like yours and test it.

The newer mic helps great, its the reason we include them with our Bluetooth kit. Another way would be to swap positions of the sunroof and BT microphone locations, the sunroof switch is slightly larger so some trimming will be necessary.

We have the upgraded 2nd Generation microphones on the site as well:

BMW Bluetooth "2nd Generation" Microphone Upgrade
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?cPath=67_153_155&products_id=307

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oscswa - need some help here

Oscswa said:

I am stuck with the same situation as you were Oscswa. I have a 2002 745 Li, lost the original phone and curently have a razr. I want to get the blue tooth module for it so I can use the equiptment in my car. Where can I get the ULF modelule that works with the CPT8000. My local BMW dealer says they do not know anything about it.
Thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts
WOW! Funny that you mention that.
I just installed my BT last night, and that is exactly what people are telling me as well - my voice is faint :mad:
After spending $800 on this kit, the least they can do is provide us w. an upgraded microphone :confused:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I actually find the opposite, that I sometimes have difficult hearing the incoming, even with volume cranked up. I have the newer direction mic which seems to work great.

·
Oscar
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AirFrcd said:
WOW! Funny that you mention that.
I just installed my BT last night, and that is exactly what people are telling me as well - my voice is faint :mad:
After spending $800 on this kit, the least they can do is provide us w. an upgraded microphone :confused:
Well I found that I have the 1st generation Bluetooth Module 84 21 6 934 552. This might be why it sound faint, but not to fear, what I have a friend that has the newer mic in his car and we are going to swap for a week to see if it helps.

The newer Bluetooth Modules say that audio quailty is improved with the new versions, but I am actually very happy with the audio qauilty, it's just some times I have to raise my voice in the car.

I will keep you posted to see if the newer generation mic $35 helps. Give me a week or 2 and I will have an answer for you guys.

·
Oscar
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bimmerno1 said:
I am stuck with the same situation as you were Oscswa. I have a 2002 745 Li, lost the original phone and curently have a razr. I want to get the blue tooth module for it so I can use the equiptment in my car. Where can I get the ULF modelule that works with the CPT8000. My local BMW dealer says they do not know anything about it.
Thanks
Are you sure it was a CPT8000 phone or a CPT9000 phone. I bet you had a CPT9000 phone, if you did than your in luck my friend. I just say a very inexpensive bluetooth kit for the CPT9000 phone in one of my newest catalogs. Look on ebay and try and find a picture of you phone and post it. We can tell if it was a 8000 or 9000.

Bluetooth kits range anywhere from $500 to $900, depending on the kit and require some installation (usually not very difficult). The new kit I just saw for the 9000 series is a very small bluetooth module that looks like the CPT9000 phone and plugs right into the old slot. You get the module in the mail, pull it out, snap it into the phone cradle and your bluetoothing! It's real cool and they are like around $250.

Let me know what kind of phone you had, I will see if I can find the catalog and post it here.

·
Oscar
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was told by my BMW service center that it is a CPT 8000 and not CPT 9000.
My thought was that all 2002 7 series had the CPT9000 series

Which one did it look like:
First One is CPT8000 Second one is CPT9000

Attachments

·
Fibrenew Guy in Raleigh
601 Posts
I have a 2003 540iT with the EAS BT upgrade kit and upgraded mic. The sound quality is not that good - very staticky - and this was tested in various areas around here (Raleigh NC) where my phone gets perfect quality reception by itself, as well as between here and all along I95 to Maryland and back.

I have to speak loudly for the other party to hear me and there is static in 99% of my conversations with others. I have to turn the volume up quite high in order to hear them clearly as well - so much that when the radio or iPod comes back on, it's too loud.

My BT antenna is installed under the rear cargo floor - I'm wondering if I should try it under the center console and see if that helps - BUT - during installation I tried this and it didn't seem to want to connect to the phone, which made me think it was the wrong coax connection (there are like 1,037 of them or so it seems).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can back up Brian's claims above as I heard his crappy voice :D when he called me on his BT.

I installed a retrofit kit (9th gen ULF and 2nd gen mic) in my E46 M3 as well and the quality just isn't there for some reason. When I jump in my X5 w/ OEM BT, it's much better. The PN for the mic is identical to the one in the X5 and I even tried installing the X5 mic in the M3 to see if there's a difference, there's none.

I guess some more troubleshooting is in order before giving up. Maybe the BT antenna in the M3 isn't picking up a good signal or something?? Hopefully I'll find some time to test in the coming weeks.

·
Oscar
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a 2003 540iT with the EAS BT upgrade kit and upgraded mic. The sound quality is not that good - very staticky - and this was tested in various areas around here (Raleigh NC) where my phone gets perfect quality reception by itself, as well as between here and all along I95 to Maryland and back.

I have to speak loudly for the other party to hear me and there is static in 99% of my conversations with others. I have to turn the volume up quite high in order to hear them clearly as well - so much that when the radio or iPod comes back on, it's too loud.

My BT antenna is installed under the rear cargo floor - I'm wondering if I should try it under the center console and see if that helps - BUT - during installation I tried this and it didn't seem to want to connect to the phone, which made me think it was the wrong coax connection (there are like 1,037 of them or so it seems).
Check your Module # and post the part #. That way we can tell what generation you have.

I find that mine actually sounds real good, just that I have to speak up so people can hear me. The volume is turned down real low on mine and seems to be just fine. On your BT install, do you have the amplifier box at the end of the wired antenna?

Here is another question: Did you have a CPT phone system in yours before the BT install?

·
Oscar
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can back up Brian's claims above as I heard his crappy voice :D when he called me on his BT.

I installed a retrofit kit (9th gen ULF and 2nd gen mic) in my E46 M3 as well and the quality just isn't there for some reason. When I jump in my X5 w/ OEM BT, it's much better. The PN for the mic is identical to the one in the X5 and I even tried installing the X5 mic in the M3 to see if there's a difference, there's none.

I guess some more troubleshooting is in order before giving up. Maybe the BT antenna in the M3 isn't picking up a good signal or something?? Hopefully I'll find some time to test in the coming weeks.
I just saw that Brian said he had and EAS kit, is that OE modules or some kind of aftermarket parts?

I don't think it's your BT antenna, as I have placed my phone right next to the antenna and I get the same issue with my voice sounding faint.

Ya, I don't plan on giving up just yet. My brother is a BMW Mech and he is going to check around the shop to see if anyone has ran into this issue. I am still going to try and see about the 2nd gen mic, just to be sure.

·
Oscar
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is a CPT8000. Dealer told me initial units came with CPT8000
Well, sometimes I find the dealer tends to give some people incorrect information. This isn't the dearlers fault but the fault of lazy people in the parts dept.

Do me a favor and take a picture of your docking cradle and post it here.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts