BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard some comments on this board and others from E46 Touring owners that they're getting less than advertised MPG on their vehicles.

I realize some of that might be reflective of driving style. Taking that into consideration, what MPG would you estimate that your wagon gets in both city and highway conditions?

TIA!

Mike

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
You will love this reply.

32-35 mpg in the city
45-60 mpg on the highway

My best was 62 mpg for a 430 mile trip at an average speed of 58mph.

Diesel on. :D

I know that you will disregard this reply ...

Patrick

·
10,856 Posts
Take my numbers with a grain of salt. I got 14MPG average in my old E36 325i.

My highway numbers were something like 28MPG going up to and down from Boston.

City number have risen to 18MPG, though. :)

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
IndyMike said:
I've heard some comments on this board and others from E46 Touring owners that they're getting less than advertised MPG on their vehicles.

I realize some of that might be reflective of driving style. Taking that into consideration, what MPG would you estimate that your wagon gets in both city and highway conditions?

TIA!

Mike
According to the OBC, my usual tank gets me somewhere in the 21-23 range in mixed driving. My two tanks of nearly full highway (albeit in fully loaded wagon) were somewhere near 27, IIRC. The caveat is that I don't believe the OBC. I'd have to go back through the logs and do some math, but I believe that the actual MPG figures are somewhat lower. The other possibility is that each gas station I've bought gas from has cheated me.

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Patrick 320d said:
You will love this reply.

32-35 mpg in the city
45-60 mpg on the highway

My best was 62 mpg for a 430 mile trip at an average speed of 58mph.

Diesel on. :D

I know that you will disregard this reply ...

Patrick
If nothing else it'll make it hard to be happy with the other posters replies in comparison. :D

62mpg! Oh be joyful. That's amazing! Not only great torque, but phenomenal gas mileage as well. It's slowly dawning on me why many are clammoring for the diesel variant to be an option in NA.

After those stats I'm a convert now. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
561 Posts
21-22 mpg city (OBC reads 21.9mpg avg speed 31.2mph), up to 33mpg highway, manual transmission, AWD, using 91 octane Unocal. Lowest city mpg (when new) was 19mpg. And I think ratings were 19/28 mpg.

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
I have been disappointed by our wagon's gas mileage, supposed to get 20/29. It is pretty much stripped minus the sport package so it should be the lightest configuration possible. We are averaging about 24 mpg for city/freeway driving. The same driving in my A4 gets us about 30-32 mpg, I guess the advantage of a turbo. I was hoping we would get the upper 20's.

Driving to Santa Barbara, freeway with some trafic, we got about 25 mpg.

The thing sucks down gas in my opinion. I drove through the desert a few weeks, speeds from 100-125:D with the AC going and about 115 degrees outside. I could pratically see the gas gauge moving down. Pretty tough on the car so I shouldnt be suprised.

Jeff

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
pps-325xit said:
21-22 mpg city (OBC reads 21.9mpg avg speed 31.2mph), up to 33mpg highway, manual transmission, AWD, using 91 octane Unocal. Lowest city mpg (when new) was 19mpg. And I think ratings were 19/28 mpg.
33mpg with AWD??? Something must be wrong with my wife's and I driving:(

·
10,856 Posts
Jeff_DML said:

pps has been posting absolutely appalling numbers for ages.

I think he drives with cruise control on all the time. :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Got the 33mpg driving back from Bimmerfest to SF nonstop on 101, doing 75-80 all the way; still had 4+ gallons left in the tank.

Jeff_DML said:

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Jeff_DML said:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Not sure if you meant to be funny ... but I laughed outloud when I read this!

Is 33mpg with AWD good or bad mileage? :dunno:

Patrick

·
Registered
561 Posts
Actually, I have only used the cruise control once, on the way back from Bimmerfest, and it was for a short period to try it out.
Oh, and I routinely get 300+ miles per tank. :thumbup:

Nick325xiT 5spd said:

pps has been posting absolutely appalling numbers for ages.

I think he drives with cruise control on all the time. :)

·
10,856 Posts
pps-325xit said:
Actually, I have only used the cruise control once, on the way back from Bimmerfest, and it was for a short period to try it out.
Oh, and I routinely get 300+ miles per tank. :thumbup:

That's appaling. :)

And Patrick, that's above the rated fuel efficiency. :p WAY above it.

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
johnlew said:
my 540, 18-20?
Those are the kinds of numbers that we're getting from the little woman's Escape XLT 4x4 and it's ticking her off. Combine that with a relatively small gas tank (albeit takes regular unleaded) and she has to top off more than she really wants to.

The FWD and 4x4 features are nice the 5 times a year we really need it, but otherwise it's just cumbersome and a nuisance. I'm becoming more convinced that RWD with dedicated snow tires like Dunlop Winter Sport M2's on POS rims will get the job done.

You guys get a lot more snow and ice than we do. So if you have survived with RWD vehicles why the heck can't we dudes 300 or so miles south?

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
I regularly use CC but I am not totally convinced that it improves fuel economy.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Patrick

·
Registered
561 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but what is "CC"? :dunno:

Patrick 320d said:
I regularly use CC but I am not totally convinced that it improves fuel economy.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Patrick

·
5,820 Posts
IndyMike said:

Those are the kinds of numbers that we're getting from the little woman's Escape XLT 4x4 and it's ticking her off. Combine that with a relatively small gas tank (albeit takes regular unleaded) and she has to top off more than she really wants to.

Yeah, but I get so much more BANG for my buck of gas. Vrooom, Vrooom!

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
johnlew said:

Yeah, but I get so much more BANG for my buck of gas. Vrooom, Vrooom!
That was my point entirely. If I'm going to get that kind of mileage might as well be in something that is kicka$$ fun.

So when do you want to make the swap? :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts