BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Have a 2004 745li. Had valve stem seals, valve cover gasket done about three months ago. Completely took care of smoke coming from tail pipe when idling. Thanks to ABT Automotive out of Corona,CA. Awesome guy, great work. Recently in last couple of weeks started having a small oil leak. Its on passenger side somewhere towards the front, not quite sure where.

Ive attached photos of where I think its leaking from. Does anyone know what part this is that's pictured? Does it have anything to do with oil and would it cause an oil leak?

Thanks.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Steering wheel Hood Vehicle

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
108 Posts
Maybe the vacuum booster attached to the upper timing chain cover, the upper timing chain cover itself or the oil solenoids on the upper timing chain cover. One of the most leak prone areas of this engine (except for the alternator gasket!!).

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response. I decided to try and better identify where the leak can be coming from.
After the car runs for awhile and warms up, I can notice oil leaking down the part that is circled in the picture.
It seems to be coming from above the silver part, might it be valve cover or valve cover gasket?

Light Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive design

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Car Automotive design

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.