BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Nuance voice recognition software (post September).

Is it possible to ask the system to take you to the closest gas station, bank or other POI? Seems like the most obvious use case for this system, but I haven't seen any mention of it in the manual

From what I gather older versions of idrive do not have this feature (atleast through voice)

·
8D
745 Posts
Unfortunately it can't. It's my biggest gripe about iDrive system. If you say "point of interest" you will only be taken to POI page on iDrive and that's it. You have to use the knob to look for specific locations. It's sad because this is the most practical aspect of voice command while you're driving, especially on freeways.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately it can't. It's my biggest gripe about iDrive system. If you say "point of interest" you will only be taken to POI page on iDrive and that's it. You have to use the knob to look for specific locations. It's sad because this is the most practical aspect of voice command while you're driving, especially on freeways.
That sucks. Is it possible to assign one if the idrive prset buttons to the point in interface where you begin the search for,say, gas stations near your current location?

·
8D
745 Posts
That sucks. Is it possible to assign one if the idrive prset buttons to the point in interface where you begin the search for,say, gas stations near your current location?
Gee you're smart lol. I haven't considered that before. But I'm sure it can since iDrive even lets you assign map size as one of the presets... But I could be wrong.

We'll wait others to chime in on this. I would like to know as well. It would be handy when I go on a trip.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I agree it sucks. Preset won't help much. This is the only thing I liked about my wife's MB. I used the voice command in the MB a few times to find the closest restaurants I prefer while driving on the freeway.

·
8D
745 Posts
I also have to comment that voice command is a bit glitchy while entering address. The lady living in the iDrive computer tells me off with "function not possible" crap time to time.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also have to comment that voice command is a bit glitchy while entering address. The lady living in the iDrive computer tells me off with "function not possible" crap time to time.
Intersting. Other than the lag time to process, I was quite impressed with the address recognition during my test drives..got everything I threw at it

·
Registered
377 Posts
No you cannot.

But, like you asked, you can asign an address to one of your 6 presets.

It's faster if you use your hand to control the buttons or knobs, then when you use the linguatronic voice command.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gee you're smart lol. I haven't considered that before. But I'm sure it can since iDrive even lets you assign map size as one of the presets... But I could be wrong.

We'll wait others to chime in on this. I would like to know as well. It would be handy when I go on a trip.
Got my car and just tried this.. It works! So now if I want the nav to take me to the closest gas station I just press 1, then click the first entry in the list that appears. Even better than messing with voice control

·
Lost but making good time
3er + 3er + 4er = 10er, Bimmers?!
6,508 Posts
Got my car and just tried this.. It works! So now if I want the nav to take me to the closest gas station I just press 1, then click the first entry in the list that appears. Even better than messing with voice control
But has it really assigned the search parameters to the preset, or just the POI "start search" command? In other words, after you do a POI search for (say) liquor stores near Orem, UT, does pushing your preset still find gas stations? I suspect it won't but would love to be proved wrong.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've experienced this issue as well, but finally figured it out. Depending on how long your car is off, the iDrive is either asleep or fully shut down. When you start up your car and the iDrive screen appears (whether it's the map, radio, etc.), the system is still loading in the background. The voice recognition database takes the longest to load, which is why it sometimes takes a few minutes before you can use it.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But has it really assigned the search parameters to the preset, or just the POI "start search" command? In other words, after you do a POI search for (say) liquor stores near Orem, UT, does pushing your preset still find gas stations? I suspect it won't but would love to be proved wrong.
Yes it does (and the name of the preset includes the parameters)..and it actually takes you straight to the results. The trick is to bookmark the screen where you click start search, not the actual results screen (won't let you do this anyway). Only annoying thing is that if you bookmark a search that specifies "along current route" it won't work unless guidance is active. It should just automatically fall back to "closest" in this case. Still, overall, thus works bettter than expected and is better/quicker than if there were a voice command to do it.

·
Lost but making good time
3er + 3er + 4er = 10er, Bimmers?!
6,508 Posts
Yes it does (and the name of the preset includes the parameters)..and it actually takes you straight to the results.
That is excellent, I'll have to try it. I think I just found something useful to put on button #5. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.