BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a new key made by the bmw dealer, becdause i lost the old set.now i notice that my day time lamps(angel eye) only turn on at night with my head lights. i called my bmw dealer they told me its a key memory feature and that it would cost $60 to turn back on.IS THERE A WAY TO PERFORM THIS MYSELF!

·
Registered
907 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question - but didn't they have designate the new fob to your vehicle? If so, couldn't they have done the feature then? Doesn't make sense it would cost add'l money to turn on DRL's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea the dealers find anyway possible to suck the life out of your pocket.but im sure there is a way to get them turn on for free.well hopefully

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
thats a dealer only option so unless you know someone at the dealer you may be out of luck...:(

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
there's no other way but pay the $60 unless your SA is cool and will hook you up i remember one time they De activate 3 time blinker thing and i told em about it and they reactivate it for free

·
Registered
16 Posts
Daytime running lights is a vehicle memory option, not a key memory option. You're being fed a load of BS :bs:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok guys thanks anyways, i will just pay up the 60 bucks when i order some AiB, can someone assist me where to order a good pair from?

·
Registered
35 Posts
+1. any independent shop with a GT1 or autologic can turn them off for you
but it would still cost you at least $60 for programming.

I think an independent would charge more since they paid more for the machine.

The dealer gets a subsidy for the BMW factory equipment.

·
Banned
638 Posts
^^ i paid a indy $40 and the dealer wanted a hour labour about $120..... dealers in Canada cant turn of DRL's because you have to have them on here.
Mine was imported from the USA so they were already turned off :thumbup:

·
Registered
459 Posts
It would seem proper to me that if you purchased the key replacement from a dealer, that he would program the key/car to your satifaction at no cost. Afterall, you paid to have the key replaced. I would have a conversation with the manager, particularly if the dealer is where you have your normal service performed. Good luck.
vz

·
Registered
721 Posts
+1 -- they knew the procedure so you wouldve thought they would call you or ask you the questions ... which brings up another question ... How did they get the key memory for other settings or is everything default?

·
Registered
4 Posts
can anyone tell me how does the DRL work?i mean if it is turned on will the angels be on for all the time like the facelifted 5series models'?by the way the programming process including all the car memory functions are free in Turkey :)

·
President
8,098 Posts
no u cant make the angel eyes work as DRL's, the inside light (high beam) is used for daytime running lights

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
you know whats funny, my daytime running lights and the highbeams are the same but the highbeams uses xenon and the DRL's use a yellow halogen...

did they really put in two different bulbs?

Actually I just like my lights on full no matter what time of day, I think I'm just gonna find the light sensor and tape over it so my lights come on automatically all the time.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The inside pair of lights are not high beams. They are DRL and "flash to pass" lights. The headlights are bi-xenon (low and hi beam).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts