BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Read Only
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are quite a few people such as myself who sell or trade cars in frequently. I know, it is a sickness :tsk:

My question is regarding a Trade-in. If someone trades in a good resale vehicle (such as a 2012 Acura TL) within one year, is it better to wait the whole twelve months or would it matter at all if trading in at around six months? This is on a vehicle that I accrue 2,000 miles each month.

So it is worth it to wait and accrue all those miles at the end of twelve months, or hurry up and trade it in sooner to avoid excessive mileage. I know that one takes a depreciation hit regardless, but is there really a difference on a car that accrues high mileage whether it is 6 months or twelve months?

thanks for the input.

·
Day dreamer
134 Posts
My question is regarding a Trade-in. If someone trades in a good resale vehicle (such as a 2012 Acura TL) within one year, is it better to wait the whole twelve months or would it matter at all if trading in at around six months? This is on a vehicle that I accrue 2,000 miles each month.

There is no guideline for that. I think the issue is the used car value of the same model and mileage in your area. You need to figure dealer is going to make some profit in taking your car off your hand and put it in their used car lot. So if a similar car is selling in the used car lots at $35k, you are probably look at a $32K max for your trade in. The best way to find out is to take your cars to multiple delears (if you have more than one delears in your town) and see what they will offer and compare that to the similar cars that they put on their used car lot. Make sure that they know you are shopping around. And once you have all the numbers, you can make your best decision. Trading in is convinent but it is hardly the way to get the best value out of your car.

·
Read Only
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

There is no guideline for that. I think the issue is the used car value of the same model and mileage in your area. You need to figure dealer is going to make some profit in taking your car off your hand and put it in their used car lot. So if a similar car is selling in the used car lots at $35k, you are probably look at a $32K max for your trade in. The best way to find out is to take your cars to multiple delears (if you have more than one delears in your town) and see what they will offer and compare that to the similar cars that they put on their used car lot. Make sure that they know you are shopping around. And once you have all the numbers, you can make your best decision. Trading in is convinent but it is hardly the way to get the best value out of your car.
Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated :thumbup:

·
East Coast Commuter
4,675 Posts

I agree. The used car market has way too many variables to oversimplify it. Fact of the matter is your car is worth what the market says it is worth. Waiting until it is a full year old may or may not make your depreciation less. There is some truth to the fact that the inital depreciation hit takes some time to moderate hence why trading in a 2 or 3 month old car rarely works. I say find out what the Manheim value is for your TL and use that as a starting point to see if your negative equity is workable. You know Manheim is the most you are going to get so it is a good starting point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.