BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 330xi and have about 25,000 miles on it. The brakes were just inspected and have about 6.3mm remaining (rear) and 7.8mm (front). The on board computer tells me the rears don't need to be replaced for another 31,000 miles and the fronts don't have to be replaced for another 35,000 miles. I'm used to driving a Lexus where brakes are replaced every 25,000 miles without fail. It seems strange that I could go about 60,000 miles without changing the brakes on this car. Is this normal for a 3 Series? Moroever, at what minimum pad measurement does the dealer replace the brakes as part of free scheduled maintenance?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I own a 330xi and have about 25,000 miles on it. The brakes were just inspected and have about 6.3mm remaining (rear) and 7.8mm (front). The on board computer tells me the rears don't need to be replaced for another 31,000 miles and the fronts don't have to be replaced for another 35,000 miles. I'm used to driving a Lexus where brakes are replaced every 25,000 miles without fail. It seems strange that I could go about 60,000 miles without changing the brakes on this car. Is this normal for a 3 Series? Moroever, at what minimum pad measurement does the dealer replace the brakes as part of free scheduled maintenance?
80-100,000 miles out of a set of original OEM pads is fairly common even in higher performance cars nowadays. Provided the car is being operated in a civilized manner- i.e. drivers NOT standing on brakes at every stop like so many drivers do these days.

Car and Driver extrapolated 100,000 break pad life in the following long-term test cars:

Dodge Magnum RT with Brembos, Mazda RX-8, VW GTI w/ DSG. All Porsches with PCCB brakes are warranted to 80,000 miles.

Last but not least BMW 330i.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews..._road_tests/2006_bmw_330i_long_term_road_test

The advent of varying amounts of ceramics in brake pad compounds is responsible for the long life.

Original brake pad thickness is typically 11mm. Pads worn to 2mm are ready for replacement.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts
lexus is notorious for changing brake pads for no apparent reason. my father was told by them he needed new pads-- with 12K miles on the car!!
another friend of mine that has an ES commented that lexus seems to do it as a matter of course every two years-- at 600 for the job

i checked his pads and rotors, they were fine. my 330i's brake pads and rotors lasted about 50K miles with very spirited stop and go city driving.

there's a wear sensor on the pads that will trigger the computer when the pads are worn.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
FYI, I had over 50K miles on my 330xi when I sold it to Carmax and it still had plenty of brakes left.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
lexus is notorious for changing brake pads for no apparent reason. my father was told by them he needed new pads-- with 12K miles on the car!!
another friend of mine that has an ES commented that lexus seems to do it as a matter of course every two years-- at 600 for the job

i checked his pads and rotors, they were fine. my 330i's brake pads and rotors lasted about 50K miles with very spirited stop and go city driving.

there's a wear sensor on the pads that will trigger the computer when the pads are worn.
I got rid of my 1992 Lexus SC300 at 130,000 miles. It had the orginal brake pads and the original clutch. The only thing that I ever had to replace were the rear shocks.

CA

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,163 Posts
I got rid of my 1992 Lexus SC300 at 130,000 miles. It had the orginal brake pads and the original clutch. The only thing that I ever had to replace were the rear shocks.

CA
It had the orginal brake pads and the original clutch.
Tell me you drove this car in Manhattan every day...
( I always had hopes that the SC would be further refined and developed and become a mainstay in the Lexus lineup. It was originally ahead of its time but languished over the years and eventually became dated, although in a classic kind of way. It astounds me that a company-Toyota- which once had the deepest pockets never developed a true sports car in the GT-R or R8 or S2000 vein. I know those cars are not big profit centers but they do a lot for image. I realize the new "F" is their 3 series {they would say M series}competition, but I was looking for something to go against the Z3/Z4 or even 350Z)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts