BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Question re: changes to order

874 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  MTech8 
#1 ·
I ordered a 535xi last night and had a change of heart on the leather color. I called the dealer today to change the leather and was told it is too late as my car is already "in production." They emailed a screenshot showing the VIN and production number, but when I put the VIN into the owner's circle it doesn't come up. The production number comes up, but in the wrong color.

Can someone please tell me at what point the car becomes unchangeable. I get the feeling they don't want to go to whatever effort it might take to make the change.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Call 800-831-1117. Tell the automated system your VIN# and it will tell you whether it is in production or just scheduled for production or on order. If it is in production (or awaiting transport), you can't make any changes.

#3 ·
similar thing happened to me, wanted to change to the anthracite headliner 2 days after order... too late

the 800 number above has the most up to date info and once "in production? you are locked in

#4 ·
Thanks, guys

I called the 800 number, talked to a rep, gave the last 7 of the VIN, and he confirmed that my car went into production at 7:09:52am EDT today. I told him I ordered the car last night around 7:45pm EDT and he said it was the fastest order to production turnaround he has ever seen.

Thanks, guys. This site has proven invaluable to me throughout the process of buying this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.