25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all.
Yesterday I test drove a 6 speed Maxima for the 2nd time. On
Wednesday I will order a 5 speed 325i.
In an effort to simulate weekday rush hour on a quiet Sunday I
decided to drive around the aisles of the dealer's lot in 1st gear
for awhile. Surprisingly I crept along making several turns with
both feet off the pedals. I used the clutch only at a dead stop.
I was able to accelerate lightly and use the brakes lightly. The
car didn't stall a single time during 5 -10 minutes of crawling
along!

If my 5 speed 325i will do the same, any regrets for going with
the manual will soon be forgotten.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
The 325 with a stick will start rolling without stalling from a dead stop and no gas by just letting the clutch out slowly,
at least on level roads. I haven't tried going up a hill this way.

Does make have the stick much more bearable in stop'n'go traffic. Luckily we don't get any of that in Los Anegels :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

·
-The Mouth-
861 Posts
if you do "rolling stops" at stop signs you will love the 02 325i because you rarely have to shift into 1st unless you come to a dead stop. Its easy to creep around in parking lots or slow traffic..... but in stop and gop the clutch starts to make your leg a little tired because of it's stiff sprung nature (german clutch):D

·
...worked on the railroad
1,054 Posts
operknockity said:
The 325 with a stick will start rolling without stalling from a dead stop and no gas by just letting the clutch out slowly,
at least on level roads. I haven't tried going up a hill this way.

Does make have the stick much more bearable in stop'n'go traffic. Luckily we don't get any of that in Los Anegels :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Noooo...not on the 5, 10, 110, 101, 210, 405, 60, 71, 91, 2, 55, 73....

I drove my 5-speed Camry (soon, Lord willing, to be my son's car; Mom's looking forward to the 325i) from Chino Hills to Pasadena everyday for two years - 71 to the 210 to the134 and back; I know a lot of folks don't want to do the 'left foot shuffle' in traffic, but for some reason, it didn't bother me all that much.

When I test drove the 325i manual...it was like nothing else I'd driven - ahhhhhh!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
3seriesbimmer said:
Its easy to creep around in parking lots or slow traffic..... but in stop and gop the clutch starts to make your leg a little tired because of it's stiff sprung nature (german clutch):D
Wait unti you drive a pre-E46 BMW. The E46's clutch feels like an uncommunicative puddle of mud compared to a 230k worn in E30's. :lmao:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first busy street I hit in the morning requires crossing two
lanes and a left turn in front of the pack coming on at 40-45 mph.
In a 4 cyl Volvo I waited forever at this stop sign and could barely
cross the two lanes in 1st gear.

What speed do you 5 spd owners get up to before shifting into
2nd? Is the 330 much quicker?

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
I have a bunch of stop and go in my morning commute. I still wouldn't give up my 5 speed for anything.

I typically bring the car up to 4500+ rpm's before I shift. This usually means I'm doing 60 in third gear; not a good thing when many of the roads are a 45 mph speed limit. In MPH though, I'm guessing I get up to about 25-30 before shifting.

·
Registered
889 Posts
3seriesbimmer said:
if you do "rolling stops" at stop signs you will love the 02 325i because you rarely have to shift into 1st unless you come to a dead stop. Its easy to creep around in parking lots or slow traffic..... but in stop and gop the clutch starts to make your leg a little tired because of it's stiff sprung nature (german clutch):D
I can attest to this after this past weekend. Rain+accident on the Jersey Tpke = move 2 feet then stop. For over an hour :yikes:

Other than the occasional nasty traffic jam, the manual is really no problem in traffic. If you prefer the control of a manual, then going with the step soley for traffic will only result in you being less than completely satisfied.

Don't sweat it, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
513 Posts
car_for_mom said:

Noooo...not on the 5, 10, 110, 101, 210, 405, 60, 71, 91, 2, 55, 73....

I drove my 5-speed Camry (soon, Lord willing, to be my son's car; Mom's looking forward to the 325i) from Chino Hills to Pasadena everyday for two years - 71 to the 210 to the134 and back; I know a lot of folks don't want to do the 'left foot shuffle' in traffic, but for some reason, it didn't bother me all that much.

When I test drove the 325i manual...it was like nothing else I'd driven - ahhhhhh!
Hated that crap. Drove from Laguna Niguel to Pasadena for over a year. 5 to the 57/60 to the 210 Thankfully, it was only once per week. Otherwise it was up to Santa Ana or Long Beach or both. Not too bad. When traffic was really bad, didn't really enjoy the clutch action but would not trade it in for anything. Solved my problem going to LB by finding a passenger. Hello Carpool Lane!

·
...worked on the railroad
1,054 Posts
NewBmwGuy said:

Hated that crap. Drove from Laguna Niguel to Pasadena for over a year. 5 to the 57/60 to the 210 Thankfully, it was only once per week. Otherwise it was up to Santa Ana or Long Beach or both. Not too bad. When traffic was really bad, didn't really enjoy the clutch action but would not trade it in for anything. Solved my problem going to LB by finding a passenger. Hello Carpool Lane!
I saw in another post that you ordered a car on 9/6, with production date of 10/4 - I ordered a car on that same day (I ended up replying to the wrong poster...arrrgh!)

Did you go through Irvine BMW or Crevier? I went (WARNING: Shameless Plug Coming :D ) through Crevier; Paul Mooradian is a good guy and treated me right. I'd checked out Savage BMW in Ontario, but I liked Crevier better. Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure there's a Bimmer dealer in the Riverside Auto Mall, but I've always had good experiences in Orange County.

Let's hope the good Lord makes sure our Bimmers get on that boat to Port Hueneme in November!

:p

·
:-)
2,262 Posts
most of what you guys are mentioning are true of all stick cars, not just bimmers.. (stuff like being able to creep along in 2nd in traffic. etc..)

and that guy was obviously being sarcastic when he mentioned that we don't get stop-n-go traffic in so cal. :lmao:

btw, i drive stick right now, and it has never ever bothered me even in the slightest in the heaviest of so cal traffic.

·
DHP pwns ZHP :p
7,078 Posts
I too had similar concerns when I got my last car... when it came down to it, and I was stuck in traffic, :cry: I didn't give it a single thought (except for the numerous expletives going through my head :banghead: )

Don't worry about it.... you won't regret going with the manual.
I've done it for about 4 years... and I don't think I'd ever go back to automatic/steptronic...

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
mgs333 said:
most of what you guys are mentioning are true of all stick cars, not just bimmers.. (stuff like being able to creep along in 2nd in traffic. etc..)
Not true of my previous car (86 Celica). It would stall if I let out the clutch in first from a dead stop. Always had to lightly press the gas to get it to creep along. This may be true now of all (or almost all) cars, but I only have current experience in the bimmer, so I wouldn't really know.

and that guy was obviously being sarcastic when he mentioned that we don't get stop-n-go traffic in so cal. :lmao:
Obviously??? :eek: :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts