BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question to those who had Topaz for any substantial amount of time: how is the color holding up? To me, it seems that Topaz Blue is much less metallic than some other BMW colors (I can hardly see any sparkles in it). It seems like the kind of color on which scratches would be very visible. Am I right?

I have an '03 Topaz 325i Sport on order and I love the color but now I’m having second thoughts. Should I switch to Titanium Silver while I still can?

·
Registered
105 Posts
you don't really see "sparkles" from far away, and on cloudy days it can look a bit dull. but on a nice sunny day, the color looks awesome.

and i have a few scratches on mine. sort of visible if you get close, but not from about 5 feet away.

everyone has silver, silver is boring. (sorry guys with silver cars!). stick with the topaz. :D

Attachments

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Hell no, stick with Topaz. It's very metallic under the right lighting conditions. And the color is holding up excellently, sans the cyclist incident I had (no need to go into details about that one :cry: ).

Here, I cropped these down to show off the metallic-ness. Oh baby.

This was on an overcast day:

This was at night after a rain (just observing the zaino effect :) )

20,210 Posts
webguy330i said:
Hell no, stick with Topaz. It's very metallic under the right lighting conditions. And the color is holding up excellently, sans the cyclist incident I had (no need to go into details about that one :cry: ).

Here, I cropped these down to show off the metallic-ness. Oh baby.

Those first few shots are so bizarre. My Topaz has NEVER looked that light. That's a dead ringer for Estoril, if you ask me.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
atyclb said:

Those first few shots are so bizarre. My Topaz has NEVER looked that light. That's a dead ringer for Estoril, if you ask me.
It's all about lighting, do you happen to live in seattle? :D

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
atyclb said:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

we get LOTS of bright sunny days Deep in the Heart of Texas

:p
Perhaps it's the perpetual dusting from the wind dulling the finish. :p You sure you didn't accidentally get an LSB M3? :lmao:

·
Registered
291 Posts
VinceTopasBlau3 said:
I'd say go with titan silver. Easier to maintain.
While it's true that Topaz is a bit more maintenance, it's still certainly not as bad as black, plus there aren't as many Topaz cars as Titanium Silver.

The silver/grey shades are nice, but one of my concerns with them has nothing to do with aesthetics. I don't like my car blending in with the pavement and those shades do just that. Too easy for someone to not see you.

I've always wondered if this was a reason German cars have a general reputation as being driven by assholes in the US. Because many have 'camoflauged' colors, they suddenly appear out of nowhere, making it seem like they're driven exceedingly fast (which may have been the case, too). Of course, there are always the DRLs...

I'm happy with my color choice.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
325ci.com said:
yeah, i don't think my car has ever looked *that* light. it doesn't even look like topaz blue from you photo. are you sure you didn't photoshop it in any way?

the lightest my car looked on digicam is this:
If I walked outside right now, it would look exactly like those photos. Maybe we just get some funky wavelength of light here in Crotchester, perfect for Topaz show-offs. :D

BTW in that pic your car looks like laguna seca blue! :eek: But in your sig, it looks like LeMans blue. :dunno:

·
When will then be now?
836 Posts
How about a (relatively) dark picture?

My advice: stick with Topaz. Sure, it's a bit difficult to keep clean, and on certain days the paint can look dull. However, when the car is clean and the sun is shining, it can be a real looker.

Michael

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
I dunno. My topaz seemed darker and richer now 2+ years down the road (my meticulous care, I'd say). And maintenance isn't that bad, not nearly as bad as jet black. The only grip that I have is that stone chips show very easily.

·
Realtor/Mortgage Broker
185 Posts
Capitalist said:
Question to those who had Topaz for any substantial amount of time: how is the color holding up?
Just fine NOW! I expect the paint to start peeling-off soon. Don't get Topaz. Go with TS. The sun also fades the paint too. Thats why Topaz always looks different, it's faded. :lmao:

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Re: Re: Question to Topaz owners

Jason B said:

Just fine NOW! I expect the paint to start peeling-off soon. Don't get Topaz. Go with TS. The sun also fades the paint too. Thats why Topaz always looks different, it's faded. :lmao:
We tried the reverse psychology on folks back in the .org days, but it doesn't seem to work -- inevitably all folks who consider topaz and post about it go with topaz! :dunno:

20,210 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Question to Topaz owners

webguy330i said:

We tried the reverse psychology on folks back in the .org days, but it doesn't seem to work -- inevitably all folks who consider topaz and post about it go with topaz! :dunno:
alan f tried his hardest to fight it, but even he was overcome by the Siren's call of Topaz

bwahahahaha!

20,210 Posts
325ci.com said:
for the first few year or two, if i remember correctly, topaz blue was a coupe-only color on the E46. which is why i liked it. but now they are putting them on sedans and even M3s. geeez... :)
don't forget Z8's :D

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Question to Topaz owners

atyclb said:

alan f tried his hardest to fight it, but even he was overcome by the Siren's call of Topaz

bwahahahaha!
that is true . . . in the end I realized no matter what color I liked, I would always compare it to Topaz . . .

I was thinking
Topaz vs. Steel blue
Topaz vs. Steel grey
Topaz vs. Orient blue

I finally realized that I am comparing EVERY color in the end to Topaz so I gave in and ordered it . . . now I can't wait !!!!

I WANT MY TOPAZ 330i NOW !!!!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
jgrgnt said:
How about a (relatively) dark picture?

My advice: stick with Topaz. Sure, it's a bit difficult to keep clean, and on certain days the paint can look dull. However, when the car is clean and the sun is shining, it can be a real looker.

Michael
How about an even darker shade of Topaz?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 70 Posts