BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Alan F said:

On a serious note, is it possible to get a cars paint to look better then the day you pick it up from the dealer ?

Will Zaino or something else make the color nicer ? ?
The answer to this question is : Definitely YES!

My car's paint is looking still stunning after almost three years, when not maybe better than the delivery.

I achieved this only applying Zaino twice a year, one before winter, one before summer. :thumbup:

·
Jegshemash, I like you!
1,236 Posts
|Originally posted by Alan F |
|Will Zaino or something else make the color nicer ? ? |

well, zaino will enhance the paint's finish, and it does make it smoother. 3 or more years will make a car's paint lighter, not darker. I just applied 2 coats of zaino today (10/20/02)on my topaz paint. I personally think that my cars paint looks as good maybe even better than the day i picked it up from BMW of Manhattan. I tried 3M imperial hand glaze on my car but i found it leave the paint dull in a way. All in all, Zaino kinda brightens up the paint and brings it out more.

Topaz looks sick under the right lightning. as a matter of fact, somebody at school has an alpine white 328is and he was parked next to me on a bright sunny day. The sun was directly on top of our cars. He asked me..."Is that estoril Blue on ur car?" i said no, Topaz Blue. He was amazed at how the color looked soo light under bright sunlight.

Bobby

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
Bobby 325i said:
|Originally posted by Alan F |
He asked me..."Is that estoril Blue on ur car?" i said no, Topaz Blue. He was amazed at how the color looked soo light under bright sunlight.

Bobby
It's almost funny you say that because at the same dealer was an estoril Blue M3 4 door (VERY SWEET) and it really didn't look much lighter then the topaz blue ones when they were in the direct sunlight.

I love the Esotoril blue and always wanted an M3 in that hot color . . . if anything I think the Topaz is an even nicer blue though not as stunning or maybe I should say bright (or showy)

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Bobby 325i said:
I tried 3M imperial hand glaze on my car but i found it leave the paint dull in a way.
Imperial Hand Glaze isn't a wax... I hope you followed up with something else. The Hand Glaze is just a swirl filler, so using it alone without using a wax (Zaino or otherwise) would explain any dullness you might have seen.

Also, it's a real pain to get off... so you might have used a little too much.

·
Jegshemash, I like you!
1,236 Posts
alee said:

Imperial Hand Glaze isn't a wax... I hope you followed up with something else. The Hand Glaze is just a swirl filler, so using it alone without using a wax (Zaino or otherwise) would explain any dullness you might have seen.

Also, it's a real pain to get off... so you might have used a little too much.
yeah, after the Imperial Hand Glaze i used Meguiars Gold Class wax and it didn't seem to bring out the shine like Zaino. After the 3M and Meguiars, the next day the paint seemed very hazy in indirect sunlight. So i washedwith dawn and applied 2 coats of Zaino,and Boom problem was gone and the paint looked stunning!

Bobby

·
Astigmatic Visionary
2,802 Posts
My Topaz,Sand,Blue top 325Cic is coming up on a Year old and is holding up to the Florida sun quite nicely so far.None of the colors are losers.Someone said in that in his locale he was swamped with Topaz cars.I guess regions vary but around here there are millions of Titanium,Black,Orient and Steel Blue cars,not many Topaz. When we were ordering, the salesman warned us about getting an "oddball color" and its affect on resale! A-no plans to sell soon,B-everyone that sees it loves the color.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Clarke said:
When we were ordering, the salesman warned us about getting an "oddball color" and its affect on resale! A-no plans to sell soon,B-everyone that sees it loves the color.
I got the "That's a REAL nice color, you should have no problem getting looks in that one" line. I figured that implied better resale than others. :dunno: :D

And yes everyone does love it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Alan F said:
One other thing I notice with your car is the wheels (which look good :thumbup: ) make it look different and I've noticed that wheels tend to have a big effect on the topaz . . . it can make or break the look of the whole car. I saw a 540 yesterday with the non-sport wheels and it just doesn't give it the aggressive look you need fo this color.

BTW whether this color looks lighter or darker doesn't take away from how beautiful it is . . .
I agree! I also noticed that the window trim can have an effect on Topaz. The color looks darker with the black trim and lighter with the silver trim. At least to me. The silver seems to bring out some of the brightness to the color.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
alan, if you wanna see my car/color come down to nassau coliseum on 11/3 saturday-- i'm going to be racing there for the last BMWCCA autocross of the year. you have to see it in person, really.

my car is now 1.5 years old and it's garaged 99% of its life, and i think i waxed it about 3 times since i bought it. photos don't do it justice or explain it. it's like a color-changing color. like people said, some days it looks like A, and other days it looks like B. it's like having a different car every time you get in it to drive. :D

another photo to contribute (bright sunny day), left side of car:

same day, about 5 minutes later, but taken from the shady side (right) of the car:

see? photos can't do it justice. (btw, nikon coolpix 775 is what i use).

this one was taken by a professional photographer on a track. (that's what topaz blue looks like at 100+mph on the track. :D )

and this one came out really dark/rich (almost orient blue-ish) (overhead view, slightly overcast skies, this past sunday afternoon):

Attachments

61 - 70 of 70 Posts