BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new here and never joined a forum group like this but I’ve read multiple forums on the site. Quick question, I just bought a 2011 535i N55 90xxx mileage with clean title. Nearly didn’t because of the stigma of bmw “problems” as well as the high mileage. Love the car, absolutely beautiful and wouldn’t trade it for the world. The dealership put a new oil pan gasket in and I believe a new oil filter housing. I bought it to take to and from classes. Does anybody know from experience, things to monitor and good time span for maintenance to keep the car running real good? Is the N55 really as reliable as I’ve read? As you can tell I have little knowledge lol but I’m determined to learn.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I’m new here and never joined a forum group like this but I’ve read multiple forums on the site. Quick question, I just bought a 2011 535i N55 90xxx mileage with clean title. Nearly didn’t because of the stigma of bmw “problems” as well as the high mileage. Love the car, absolutely beautiful and wouldn’t trade it for the world. The dealership put a new oil pan gasket in and I believe a new oil filter housing. I bought it to take to and from classes. Does anybody know from experience, things to monitor and good time span for maintenance to keep the car running real good? Is the N55 really as reliable as I’ve read? As you can tell I have little knowledge lol but I’m determined to learn.
The OFHG (oil filter housing gasket) fails on every BMW so it's good to get that one done. Valve cover gasket is another common failure that you should plan on. The transmission has "lifetime" fluid according to BMW but that's only because they consider 50,000 miles to be a lifetime in a BMW. If it hasn't had the transmission fluid changed by now, you can make the argument that it's better to not change it, but you might want to check with others on that. The manufacturer would prefer that it get changed at 60k and every 30k after that (I think). You can make the argument that the car could use a new timing chain at some point, but that's going to cost over $1000 to do. I've read that water pumps can start going out around the age your car is.....but it hasn't been a rampant point of conversation on this board. If your drives to class are really short, you may want to consider a battery tender, but I've never needed one on my car with my 6.1 mile drive to work.

I've had mine for 4 1/2 years and it's been a great car for me. Two leaks and some normal maintenance. I will say that I'm planning on getting rid of my 2013 in March 2023 because I don't really want to own a BMW that's over 10 years old, but if it's still treating me good, I might change my plans.

·
Registered
20 Posts
At that mileage, you should change the transfer case and diff fluids if not done already. You can expect to replace water pump, thermostat as well. I had to replace my starter too and I am approaching 99k miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts