BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Old Fester
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my car's scheduled maintenance done about 1 month ago. Since then I have driven about 3000 miles, then yesterday brake pads light and window sheild wiper fluid light went on. I did not check the service manual, but would think those are standard maintenance items that should have been checked in the last service. Wondering what they serviced, more importantly, how do we customers know the service depts really provided the service items they claimed they did? :dunno: Thanks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well...

... this is an absurd suggestion.

Make a tiny mark only you know about on some components. On others, place a piece of clear tape. For example, on the back-side of fluid reservoirs, air filter box, or whatever component you deem ready for their services.

Also, leave loose change, ostensibly for toll charges, in the console. Count it before and after service.

Employ another mechanic to double-check all the service work of the first. Or, have the second mechanic deliberately fail some component in some way and then, take it to the first and see how he does.

Or... trust in your fellow uh, well.....

Best of luck to you!

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
If it was Inspection I or II, you'd get a report from them that shows the measurements they took on your brake pads. I just had Insp I done the other day and I got a full report of what they checked.

If your SA didn't go over the invoice with you and you didn't ask to have it explained, then you couldn't have been too concerned about what they did a month ago. That was the time to ask the questions.

·
Old Fester
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your input! :thumbup: That helped clear my puzzle. I will definitely pay more attn in my next scheduled maintenance at 98k miles or so - actually my last paid under the extended maintenance program before it expires. Thanks again.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think they're a little suspect too. I took my car there for a brake flush, since it was free and has never been done in 3 yrs. and 50k miles. Car came back with some pink, dishsoap-looking brake fluid in it. A few mos. ago I took her in for a new window regulator under warranty. They gave me the car back and luckily, I tested it before I left. Window didn't work at all. They hadn't touched it! They fixed it - again - while I waited.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts