BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I have been trying ti find opinions on this, but have failed to see any discussions anywhere. [Maybe its not worth talking about?] In the last 20 days I have bought my first 2 bmw's [1998 z3, 2001 z3]. they both have the stickers on the visors, in the door jambs, even the clear one on the windshield about mods. My question is this.....did you leave all your in place, or did you take them all off? I can't decide.......after all, I plan on keeping the car, so I dont need to look at baby warnings and stuff. So should I take it off, or preserve them??? What did YOU do??

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,774 Posts
I took them off of my visors, windshield and instrument cluster. Don't think I have one on the door jambs.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I prefer keeping the factory stickers.

We purchased 2 BMWs last year and both times, prior to signing, I asked them to remove ALL stickers/license tags bearing the dealer's name/logo. They complied both times.

·
BMW CCA 1405
1997 BMW Z3 1.9
5,180 Posts
... the stickers on the visors, in the door jambs, even the clear one on the windshield about mods. My question is this.....did you leave all your in place, or did you take them all off?...
I leave all factory stickers and emblems in place, where ever.

My 10/96 Z3 has a clear sticker on the windshield, a long paragraph warning about installation of non-BMW accessories. I doubt if it's replaceable.

My 1969 BMW R69US had a fender sticker about compliance with DOT. That sticker was NLA and priceless evidence of originality.

As these cars age, factory stickers may be an enhancement.

If you must, successful removal may depend on the surface. A few years ago I removed an airbag sticker from the visor of my wife's Buick. It left such a mess that I ordered a new sticker to replace it.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I don't worry about the ones that don't show such as under the hood or in the door jam. I did remove the airbag warnings from the visors using CRC Chemtool plus a coat of vinyl paint. I just thought those looked dumb with the top down.

·
1998 BMW Z3 2.8L
406 Posts
I leave everything as original as possible including the stickers. I believe it might help in resale value if I ever plan on selling the car.

Side note: I did replace the radio head unit, but kept the original business radio for future restorations back to originality.

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,774 Posts
Unless you have a pristine show car and are selling it to someone else who plans to show it, I really doubt that there will be any difference in price because of the stickers. Besides I'm never selling mine. :thumbup:

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have a 2001 and I left all the stickers that were on it when I bought it 2 years ago alone. I don't want to clean up the mess the old adhesive would leave.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The only stickers I removed where the airbag warning on the sun visors.

I put some denatured alcohol on them and pealed slowly. Repeated the process on small areas. Took about an hour per side

Jeff

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Unless you have a pristine show car and are selling it to someone else who plans to show it, I really doubt that there will be any difference in price because of the stickers. Besides I'm never selling mine. :thumbup:
Roger that!

I pulled the stickers off as soon as I got the cars home from the dealer ('99 CPO w/5400 miles and '01 PCD w/6.0 miles) and stuck them on the back cover of the owners manuals.

So if someone asks "do you still have the stickers?" I will honestly answer in the affirmative. However, #1, I do not ever expect to hear that question, and #2, I'm keeping the cars until I die__or longer, once I figure out how to do it__so it matters not to me!

I am in agreement with the comments that they will never be a factor on price, though it may help close the deal with that Type AAA+ persona buyer. Furthermore, I also agree that if you were looking for an investment "still in the wrapper" car__mileage so low to be considered next to never driven at all__then yes, all stickers, manuals, and documentation should still be in place.

A car that was desirable new will always have the potential for being collectible later, and as such, the Z3/M qualifies (the 01/02 S-54 M Coupe being at the top of that particular food chain, though we can all disagree on what comes next :angel: ).

BTW, for those of you that did or will struggle to remove the labels from the visors, when the car was only weeks old, they could be peeled off with no solvent or effort whatsoever :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts